Planning a trip. need help

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, casey_714, jjohnson_714

Planning a trip. need help

Postby marshnole11 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:02 pm

Long time upland and waterfowl hunter.

Dont want to do the tourist thing and go to ND, SD or any of the other usual suspects. promise I wont tell anyone else :biggrin: but I have some info that your state has excellent watefowl and upland hunting and is some of the most beautiful country in the U.S.

I want to take a trip and spend some time in Oct (2013 or 14) and shoot some ducks in the mornings and chase some upland birds in the afternoon. I would appreciate some info on where the best parts of the state to do this. this is a one time event for me, living in florida, some specific help is definetly needed. I will be bringing some gear, maybe a small duck boat and my dog (GSP). I am open to public land, WMA's or NWR. I would really like to shoot a cinny teal and also chase some huns, chuckar, quail, pheasants.

If anyone can help out please PM me.

Thanks!!
marshnole11
hunter

Re: Planning a trip. need help

Postby Tenner » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:33 pm

Sounds like a fun trip. I am in SE idaho and the waterfowl hunting is pretty good if you can time it right. The best time usually is around thanksgiving. That's when things seem to pic up the most. Especially geese. As far as a cinny teal, good luck! They are some of the first to leave in the fall. I am sure you could get one the very first of October but I would t plan on it. As far as pheasant we have a pretty good WMA. They stock birds 1-2 times a week. For chuckars you'll be hiking the rocky country. Huns can pretty much be found anywhere. Quail, well I know around mtn home has some nice quail. That's about it for SE idaho. I know Bowie area has some good hunting. I have just never hunted there!
Tenner
hunter

Postby TROB » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:32 pm

Me? I would go to south Dakota.... :beer:
Idaho...
TROB
hunter

Postby twsnow18 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:10 am

damn. the dakotas or idaho? i mean idaho is gorgeous don't get me wrong, i love it here. but if you're after waterfowl and pheasants i'd go with the closer quarry. if your set on idaho, i could definitely point you in the right direction for chukar and huns. waterfowl can be tough if you only have a few days. if your driving up, try to come right around a decent storm when we are getting snow around the boise area around thanksgiving like mentioned above. really watch the weather reports.
How to start an argument online:

1. State an opinion.
2. Then wait.
twsnow18
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting