Float Hunting the Boise Tips?

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

Float Hunting the Boise Tips?

Postby quackofdawn » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:57 pm

Hey everyone one here for the first time. I'm wondering if anyone who has float hunted the Boise would help me out and tell me where you put in. I am experienced in a canoe just never done the duck hunt out of it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
quackofdawn
hunter

Re: Float Hunting the Boise Tips?

Postby mojocoot » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:48 am

Depends on what stretch you are interested in hunting. There are public access points sprinkled all over from Star to where the Boise dumps into the Snake. Plenty of options for anywhere from a 2 hour float to a full day, depending on what you want and how far of a shuttle you want to run.
That being said, one thing I can't stress enough when floating the Boise is to remember how many guys will be set up on it and not necessarily looking for you to be floating through. Be aware of this and make your presence known as soon as you see decoys. I only say this because I've been on the Boise before and have been scarily close to accidentally peppering guys who were floating through. Just last year I was sitting on a small island and had a single diver bomb into my spread. I swung on him over the decoys as he was flying upriver and a split second before I was going to squeeze off I saw two guys in their pontoons right above my decoys. It was a stroke of luck that I caught site of them in time. I don't blame them for being there, but they never made themselves known, and I can't tell you how close they were to accidentally getting a load of 3 inch 4's right in their face from under 50 yards. It would have been a horrible situation for all involved, and I'm glad to have caught it before it happened. We see floaters at least a half dozen times per year, and normally without incident. But you never know when the timing is going to just perfectly bad and you're going to end up on the business end of someones pattern if you are silently approaching a spread. But that's my only soap box issue with floating. I've done it myself and I love it, especially when the divers show up and are buzzing the river constantly. Just make sure to be alert and be proactive about letting people know you're there...even if it means blowing your call once a minute to signal your approach.
That being said, good luck!
mojocoot
hunter

Postby waveslider » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:26 am

Couldn't agree more. Its great advice and I've had some wierd close calls like the one you mention. Blowing your call as soon as you see decoys is prudent (no matter how good or bad your calling is). Because if you are sitting in a blind and a duck quacks nearby, you are going to look.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby quackofdawn » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:46 pm

Thanks a bunch guys. My friend and I are thinking about doing it. Neither of our dads duck hunt so we are on our own the help is amazing. Thanks again.
quackofdawn
hunter

Postby mojocoot » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:10 pm

If you have the gear for a decoy set up I would throw it in your canoe for your float. You'll only have a good shoot floating if the birds are buzzing the river low or are landing and your jumping them up as you float through. With the pressure that the Boise gets I wouldn't count on either of those to be the case very often. You'll get a few days of it, but most birds wise up to the Boise soon after ariving, at least in my opinion. I'd float a ways from a put in, find a good looking spot that is far enough away that it doesn't likely get hunted much, and set out your spread and see what happens. Just my .02 cents, but it's safer than trying to jump shoot with multiple people in a canoe. And as always be safe. There are spots on the Boise that are deceptively dangerous if you don't handle them correctly. Let us know how it goes.
mojocoot
hunter

Postby quackofdawn » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:03 pm

I have heard a couple guys talking about that. When your hunting the Boise what size spreads are most guys running? We have two dozen mallards and a dozen pintails with a mojo. However, the birds I've seen on the river outside of the season and even during the season in town are in a lot smaller groups. Is it more important to be realistic or draw attention?
quackofdawn
hunter

Postby Duck-slayer » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:16 am

there is a KEY word here.... I USED too float hunt the boise 4-5 times a year with a friend, until I was in 3 different water craft that sunk, one was a v-bottom 12-ft. aluminum boat hit an overhanging tree in a super fast current and pushed the boat straight under, the 2 nd was in a canoe, was not my fault he drove under some over hanging branches and flipped the canoe.... and the 3 rd and final time was with a guy in a 16' flat-bottom and a surface drive motor, branch pulled the fuel inline out and we hit a log jam in some fast water and under went the boat.... all but one time I lost of great gear... just be careful with over hanging deb-re... very dangerous.... that also being said I would do it in a heart beat again but I am driving..... for sure..... no if ands or butt's, I have never put a boat under.....
Matt
Duck-slayer
hunter

Postby quackofdawn » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:50 pm

I had a similar experience when I was younger and the canoe sunk. However I have been canoeing rivers for my whole live and whitewater rafting and kayaking. I appreciate the warning though and will definantly keep that in mind.
quackofdawn
hunter

Postby IdahoSkies » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:11 pm

The Boise is a lot tricker river to float than people give it credit for. Its not the rapids or water itself, but rather the vegitation that makes it pretty challenging. The Barber to Boise run is just a taste for the less commonly run stretch west of Boise proper which is much more difficult.
IdahoSkies
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:51 am

I've not run the Boise but I hear it can be full of snags. It is the snags with water running through them (not shallow class 1 riffles) that will get you. Decades of white water canoeing and rafting experience qualifies me to tell you that. Now, when you dump out into the water in the summer it is not as big of a deal as it is when water temps are in the 40s and air temps in the 30s. Wear your life jacket and good luck.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby mojocoot » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:43 pm

I think you'll get a lot of different opinions on your question. I think being realistic is more important that being noticed on the Boise, just because of the amount of pressure it gets. Ive had great hunts over less than 1 dozen decoys, but I've also had limit days where I've put out a few dozen decoys. Seems like if you have two guys going in one canoe you wouldn't want to load it down with 3 doz and mojo's, but maybe I'm wrong about that. With there not being many migrators around i would personally find a little secluded pocket where a few birds are sitting and throw out a small spread and try to pull in singles and doubles. On this river you're not likely to pull in the really high groups with big numbers (although it does occasionally happen) but if you have a spot that you think a big spread would be better then give it a shot. My personal opinion is that alot of birds on the Boise see a 18-24 decoy spread with one mojo A LOT. Post results if you got out this weekend.
mojocoot
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:07 pm

The Boise river, like most in Idhao has a lot of diversion dams, otherwise known as mankillers. You really need to stay away from diversions and the tree snags that can flip a lig jet boat in a hurry let alone a canoe. there's other junk out ther too--fence post sna old wire, that make it really dangerous.

You should canoe the rive during warm weather before going out in cold weather. you are likel to lose guns and equipment, but hopefully not your life. That said, water moving at 3 or 4 mph will put about 200 pounds of force on your body, making it hard to get free once you're pinned against an underwater rock or tree, or your foot becomes tangled in old fence. This is how people die.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby quackofdawn » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:32 pm

Thanks everyone for the advice. Sorry I was so long getting back I've been on a bunch of college visits and haven't been able to get out since I posted. However the next week is my thanksgiving break so I'll be hitting it hard. Thanks again and good luck to y'all
quackofdawn
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting