New hunting technique??

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

New hunting technique??

Postby waveslider » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:01 am

I was at a SW Idaho reservation scouting on Sunday morning and I saw something I couldn't quite explain and was wondering if I am missing out on something....

Right at shooting light, a boat showed up at the ramp and after loading up, they took off across the res headed for the opposite shoreline. Once they got there, we could see through our binocs and spotting scope that they threw out a few decoys (in a pretty nice looking place actually) and a spinner.

There was a fair amount of brush on the shoreline and I assumed that they would hide themselves in the brush and then run the boat a ways away and walk back. However, they proceeded to anchor the boat 30 yrds away and cover the boat with a BRIGHT WHITE boat cover. This thing was bright, so bright that we could see it with our naked eye and previously we couldn't even find it in the binoculars. It was possibly a white, king sized bed sheet.

I'm wondering if this is a case of newbie or is there some sort of "hide in plain sight" movement going through the duck hunting community? My wife and I were laughing but now I'm interested. We didn't get a chance to stick around and see if they starting shooting a bunch but I thought I would see if I'm missing somehting.

My first instinct was to leave them a note on their windshield with some friendly advice and an invitation to hunt with a veteran but then I was wondering if the joke was on me.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Re: New hunting technique??

Postby cutm Jack » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:29 am

Are you kidding? Go ahead and try that new technique and let me know how it works... The only thing those guys did was bird watch or get lucky kill one of the dumbest ducks ever. Sitting in the open w/ a layout boat will work but those boats only come out of the water 3 or 4 inches. It's always funny to see the retarted things people will do. :clapping:
cutm Jack
hunter

Postby waveslider » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:05 am

There has to be a way to help people like that. Our sport dies a little every year because well meaning people try to go out and do something without the mentoring or learning we all took for granted from friends, parents, uncles, etc.

I'm not talking about telling them where to hunt, I scout as hard as anyone and that is where the hard work comes in; I'm talking about things we take for granted knowing...

If they don't have sucess, they won't be back and we will see our sport die or, more likely, get taken away.

Vote Yes on HJR2
waveslider
hunter

Postby cutm Jack » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:45 pm

I agree to a certain point but there is this crazy new invention called the internet... If i'm gonna try something new I always do some research and find out the basics of it so I don't make a complete jackass of myself. Some people are ignorant and don't want to be helped or help themself. I don't mind helping someone out that wants to learn but other people act like you're insulting them when you try to offer a helpful suggestion. If they don't shoot any ducks hopefully they will do some thinking and figure out what didn't work.
cutm Jack
hunter

Postby waveslider » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:13 pm

I couldn't agree more and I've said time and again that I would rather invite the newbie into my blind rather than have him hunt 200 yrds down river from me screwing it up for everyone.

However, to you and I, something as simple as covering up and hiding your boat or putting it off in the distance is second nature. To others, regardless of how much they read on the internet, its not obvious.

I've taken up some new hobbies recently so I'm keenly aware of how difficult it can be. I guess I was just shocked is all and would have helped if I saw a window....

Oh well, I'll just keep inviting them and I'll probably just keep getting the finger....
waveslider
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting