Duck Hunting Forum banner

Coot Shoot ?

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  InTheDecoys 
#1 ·
I've been asked a lot of times (have you ever ate a Coot?). My answer has always been (no) I've never really even thought about it. Now here lately I've read a lot on the NET how a lot of people eat them all the time in many different ways. Now keep in mind I grew up poor in Virginia so I have eaten things most would call weird or nasty. All I want to know is, how do they compare to let's say a Mallard? I see hundreds of Coots every hunt so I'm thinking of filling my bag with a few and letting it ride as far as how to try them. Any opinion, our (I've heard this) type comments are welcome feel free just want to know if I've been missing out not shooting These Coots.

#3 ·
I usually poke a few on the way back form hunting or just before I pick up for the day. Not a lot of breast meat but its pretty good. Not as tasty as mallard or teal but certainly every bit as good as a bluebill or other diver. Dont forget the legs, I save a bunch of legs then put them in a slow cooker with some bacon. Shred the meat off and add BBQ sauce for sandwiches.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.