Coot Shoot ?

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, casey_714, jjohnson_714

Coot Shoot ?

Postby OneShot2146 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:22 pm

I’ve been asked a lot of times (have you ever ate a Coot?). My answer has always been (no) I’ve never really even thought about it. Now here lately I’ve read a lot on the NET how a lot of people eat them all the time in many different ways. Now keep in mind I grew up poor in Virginia so I have eaten things most would call weird or nasty. All I want to know is, how do they compare to let’s say a Mallard? I see hundreds of Coots every hunt so I’m thinking of filling my bag with a few and letting it ride as far as how to try them. Any opinion, our (I’ve heard this) type comments are welcome feel free just want to know if I’ve been missing out not shooting These Coots.
OneShot2146
hunter

Coot Shoot ?

Postby Willie » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:56 pm

As duck mauler in the nc forum. He loves them.
Willie
hunter

Re: Coot Shoot ?

Postby lakerross » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:14 pm

I usually poke a few on the way back form hunting or just before I pick up for the day. Not a lot of breast meat but its pretty good. Not as tasty as mallard or teal but certainly every bit as good as a bluebill or other diver. Dont forget the legs, I save a bunch of legs then put them in a slow cooker with some bacon. Shred the meat off and add BBQ sauce for sandwiches.
lakerross
hunter

Postby OneShot2146 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:34 pm

Sounds good Im on it!
OneShot2146
hunter

Postby IdahoSkies » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:06 pm

They taste like strong/gamy duck. So if you think duck is gamy, coots will be more so. If you like the fact that mallards actually taste different than chicken or beef, you like it. that said there is not much there so either bring in a couple, our use one as an appetizer.
IdahoSkies
hunter

Postby quackofdawn » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:52 pm

My buddy and I shot a limit each on a really slow day last year. We marinated them for a day and made it into jerky it wasn't amazing but it was definantly edible. Plus it was one hoot of a foot shoot hahaha
quackofdawn
hunter

Postby quackofdawn » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:54 pm

Sorry coot shoot
quackofdawn
hunter

Postby InTheDecoys » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:21 pm

well lets see some coot shoot pics :yes:... i wont stoop to shootin coots but the buffies/geyes are beginning to get here in numbers! :wink: if it ever gets slow you can always resort to them :lol3:
InTheDecoys.... Take em
InTheDecoys
hunter

Postby waveslider » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:49 pm

One thing you should probably research or be aware of is that there are consumption guidelines/health concerns about eating specific kinds of ducks.

I believe it has to do with what flyway you are in and such but its worth checking. Spoonies and Coots are usually on the list. Something about Mercury levels, etc.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting