MOJOs

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, casey_714, jjohnson_714

MOJOs

Postby FlyFishingFreak » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:53 am

Again not having a mojo, and other groups having mojos, has left me frustrated, cold, and empty handed. It is amazing to watch 10 birds drop 300ft circle and commit. I would like to think I'm a decent hunter but I just cant compete with the mojo. I had my jerk cord, and tried calling, not calling, deep quacks, drake calls, everything I could but damned if the birds didnt finish to the mojos. I know, "keep crying baby." But I'm done. I'm getting a mojo. I wish I wasnt so stubborn. Nothing against the guys that have them, they learned about a tool that works well and they use it. I will now be one of them too.
FlyFishingFreak
hunter

Re: MOJOs

Postby OneShot2146 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:40 pm

I had to pull mine this morning, not sure why but they didn’t seem to like them.
OneShot2146
hunter

Postby IdahoSkies » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:36 pm

I find that they work real well early season, and then not very well later on, unless you are hunting a field where they are the a true duck vacuum. That said, if you are looking to get one take a look at

http://www.realduck.com/ they are an Idaho Company (moscow) with a good product. I hunted over one last year and liked it so much I bought on for my self. I like this one because its a floater and I don't generally hunt fields, I hunt ponds and occasionally some rivers. You don't have to worry about stakes and the wings are pretty durrable (you wont be replacing them every season). I don't work for them or even know the guys other than they are from Moscow.

If everyone else has a motorized decoy, you may want to try a jerk cord (I built one last year from some junk from harbor freight and a thrift store dumbell for about $7.00. It worked real well when I took my sister out for the youth hunt and its different and probably wont cause the birds to flare later in the season like the mojos surely will.
IdahoSkies
hunter

Postby waveslider » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:35 pm

OneShot2146 wrote:I had to pull mine this morning, not sure why but they didn’t seem to like them.

x2

Skies cleared up and the sun came out. Lots of migration activity today, I could have left them up and try to pull in one of the migrating groups but we chose to hunt the locals.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby graphixx » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:10 am

early in the season they are good but 2nd half of the season I will take a good jerk rig over a mojo anyday!!!
Bad decisions usually make the BEST stories!
graphixx
hunter

Postby waterfowler2484 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:45 am

Had mine out Saturday and shot two. did not put out Sunday and had a two man limit and home by 11;30
"For every action, theres REACTION!!!"
waterfowler2484
hunter

Postby rookie20011 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:07 am

If thrs sun no Mojo, shade or cloudy MOJO every time!
rookie20011
hunter

Postby drakz » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:57 pm

They work well in fields all year IMO....early season ducks love em, mid to late season use only in the morning hours when its still gloomy before the full sun fills the sky....late season a few decoys up river against the bank with cover and no mojo......this mindset works every year for me.....but in the end mojo's are a must in the gear collection....don't feel bad dude, you will feel just fine when you smoke a bird that locked on the mojo.... :beer:
is that my beer?
drakz
hunter

Postby FlyFishingFreak » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:42 pm

Thanks Drakz.

I think much of it is using them wisely. Ive been having some epic hunts all over. I am really terrible at taking pics. Even worse about posting them.

Even if I haven't been shoot limits Ive been seeing birds and working them really well. Im happy to meet new people waveslider, and looking forward to meeting more.

I will say the jerk cord brought in 3 groups today. Literally they were all eyes on the moving ducks.
FlyFishingFreak
hunter

Postby rookie20011 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:47 pm

Placement is the biggest key.
rookie20011
hunter

Postby bojingles » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:03 pm

IdahoSkies wrote:I find that they work real well early season, and then not very well later on, unless you are hunting a field where they are the a true duck vacuum. That said, if you are looking to get one take a look at

http://www.realduck.com/ they are an Idaho Company (moscow) with a good product. I hunted over one last year and liked it so much I bought on for my self. I like this one because its a floater and I don't generally hunt fields, I hunt ponds and occasionally some rivers. You don't have to worry about stakes and the wings are pretty durrable (you wont be replacing them every season). I don't work for them or even know the guys other than they are from Moscow.

If everyone else has a motorized decoy, you may want to try a jerk cord (I built one last year from some junk from harbor freight and a thrift store dumbell for about $7.00. It worked real well when I took my sister out for the youth hunt and its different and probably wont cause the birds to flare later in the season like the mojos surely will.

I've been looking for a solution for a moto duck to use in high water when it floods the river bottoms I hunt in California. When it floods (about every other year) hunting is incredible and no one can really use a moto duck because the water is too high (too deep for a poll run version). We run our decoys on about twenty feet of line. While I'm all about outlawing the dang things and love to call and get birds the old fashion way they sure are deadly when you are the only one using one. We've tried tying them in the trees, using the floating ones that are too heavy and akward and always flip over since the water is swift, but I think this might do the job. It seems lightweight and only runs on two double A batterys. Its built on a super magnum G&H decoy so should be pretty stable. Saw a youtube video of guys using them in rough water hunting divers in the ocean and they looked like they were floating great. Thanks for the heads up on this--just ordered one! Happy to support an Idaho company. Need to bleed California dry until the powers that be pull their heads out of the sand!
bojingles
hunter

Postby IdahoSkies » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:28 am

Its nice and light. Works really well. Make sure you have a good anchor on it though as the "wing" acts a sail a bit and will move around on you, so if you don't anchor it will float away. Anchors are important for them. But they work really well, look a bit different than the standard mojo. The remote is a bit more complicated to set up and you do need to remove the 6 volt battery every time you put it away or you will be replacing it every time you go out.

But it works great, is real durable, comes with a protector tube for the spinning wing set up and don't fall in the water like the mojos. (I've never been on a hunt when that darn stake didn't wiggle loose and the whole thing didn't come tumbling down into the water/field).

Have fun and enjoy it.
IdahoSkies
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting