HJR_2 Hunting, Trapping, Fishing amendment on the ballot

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

HJR_2 Hunting, Trapping, Fishing amendment on the ballot

Postby mtbaughs » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:45 pm

What's everyone's opinion on this? I'm still forming mine but thought it might be good for discussion. In any case as a sportsman, get out and voice your opinion!

http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/Idaho_Hunting_and_Fishing_Amendment,_HJR_2_(2012)
mtbaughs
hunter

Re: HJR_2 Hunting, Trapping, Fishing amendment on the ballot

Postby waveslider » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:45 pm

My opinion is that this is critical to us being able to continue our sports, traditions and passions with less chance of animal rights fanatics and people who otherwise endeavor to take away rights from citizens. While keeping the ability of DFG to manage our deer herds, furbearers and other game animals as they see fit.

The main argument that the opposition is able to muster is "this isn't needed, no one is proposing that these activities get taken away" When we know as a fact there are groups that are dead set on taking away hunting, fishing and trapping all over the country and in our state. They are active and are fighting hard to keep this consitutional ammendment from passing so they can continue their assault on our outdoor activities.

I, for one, will be voting for it.

I bet the people in New York didn't think they needed to protect their right to have a big gulp either...
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby IdahoSkies » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:43 pm

I am voting yes.

My father works up at the state house and every year they get inundated by the Humane Society and PETA crowd for more action on "animal cruelty." They have money and manpower, and are very motivated. Last year the Chicken Farmers and other Ag groups got together to put out a bill addressing cockfighting. They did this so that they could control the agenda and get out ahead of the Animal Crowd. Most of the legislators felt it was not really necessary, but acquiesced to the bill because industry wanted it. I see this as the same thing, getting out in front of the problem.

In the past F&G has been against constitutional amendments like this. However this time they are supporting it. They are supporting it because the drafters came to F&G at the outset and worked with the AGs office to draft language that would still allow F&G to do its job of managing Idaho's wildlife.

The big issue really is trapping, and do you believe that it has a place in Idaho. As a waterfowl hunter, I believe trapping is imperative for healthy waterfowl populations. Trapping keeps predator numbers lower, and predators like eggs. They are easy to get and nutritious. I read an article in Wildfowl last year about how the single greatest item of management on refugees that determined duck population was predator numbers. Fewer egg/poult/chick predators, more ducks.

So I am voting yes for fishing, yes for hunting, and yes for trapping.
IdahoSkies
hunter

Postby waveslider » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:18 pm

Couldn't agree more. During the nesting season, my wife and I saw on numerous occasions skunks and raccoons out in broad daylight roaming the tules and backwaters in search of eggs. Mild winter =more predators

I maintain 15 wood duck boxes and 6 of them were scuttled by coons because they figured out the latch. Will have to wire them shut next year because I just can't keep up with the coon populations.

That's roughly 35 eggs that were raided. What happens in areas I'm not around. Trappers are our friends and they deserve the same protection as hunting and fishing.
waveslider
hunter

Postby mtbaughs » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:54 pm

Glad to see some responses to this. I'd love to hear from someone who has an argument against for a mature discussion on it though I'm not sure I'll find it here.

I can't tell you how many people have told me when I have asked them about this, " I don't think Idaho really needs it". It's got to be the number one response.

I think it's safe to say that the number of people who support hunting, fishing, and trapping has had a huge decline in the last 15 - 20 years in this state. Once the scales tip voting wise, one can only assume we won't be fighting to add this amendment, we'll be fighting to be able to do them at all. Hate to say it but only those out in the woods, along the bodies of water, and those raising stock will have clear visibility to why certain animal populations need to remain in check for the greater good of all species as a whole.

If you hunt deer, elk or any other game and you've tried to bag a wolf with a rifle you soon realize just how rare it is to be able to do so. I don't think there is any chance of controlling that population without trapping. I've had wolves all around me many times but in the last 3 years never did I have an instance where I could have taken one with a rifle.

Reach out to those you can and discuss why they don't think it is necessary
mtbaughs
hunter

Postby divers demise » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:43 am

Beat me to it! VERY VERY important for all of us to vote YES!!
divers demise
hunter

Postby rnrphoto98 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:19 pm

I will be voting for it. We have to protect our rights, as you guys alreadys said, there are people out there right now who want to stop hunting, fishing and trapping. Who knows how this election will turn out, Obama may well make it in again, then we will really have to fight for any rights as gun owners.

Rob
rnrphoto98
Newb

Postby mojocoot » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:03 pm

I think those in favor of trapping are lucky that trapping got lumped in with hunting and fishing on this. I wouldn't like the chances of a bill like this for trapping only, as it's far and away the most controversial issue of the three. I'm not against trapping at all, although I don't participate in it currently. But I think trapping got a big favor by being grouped with the other two. Either way I'm axious to see the reaction from this having passed.
mojocoot
hunter

Postby waveslider » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:37 pm

In the words of the Duck Commander......

Happy, Happy, Happy.....
waveslider
hunter

Postby IdahoSkies » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:51 pm

Agreed. Tapping would not have stood a chance by itself. As a non-trapper, and one who spends a lot of time outdoors in all seasons, not have the tool of trapping to manage reclusive predators would cause losses in other game, as well as we would be seeing more animals in cities the lion running around Boise/Garden city and Eagle is just an example. (We had them in our back yard in Pocatello, and we lived on the city side of the free way). No way that anything other than trapping would keep down the population to be safe and to have sustainable game.
IdahoSkies
hunter

Postby waveslider » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:27 pm

BTW, mojocoot. Let me know if you ever have an interest in trapping. I had never done it my whole life but started to experiment with a very small trap line to take my mind off some tough life circumstances last year.

I can tell you this, I have NEVER been more in tune with what's going on around me in the wild. I thought I was pretty observant and a good tracker, etc. Not even close, I had no idea how much I was missing.

You might like it....

Calling a coyote within 250 yards and tapping it with a 22-250 is fun...but trying to get him to step into an area about 3inches around is a serious challenge.
waveslider
hunter

Postby mojocoot » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:24 pm

Wave,
I have no doubt that it really hightens your awareness in the woods, and you're not the first person I've heard that from. More than anything I just haven't done it because I have enough other hobbies to keep me busy. Maybe one day I'll have time for it all, or more likely my body will make me give up some of my current hobbies and adopt new ones. You know how it is... too much fun to be had in too little time.
mojocoot
hunter

Postby waveslider » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:36 am

Boy howdy, I can relate to that....
waveslider
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting