North Idaho Newbe

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

North Idaho Newbe

Postby limbbender » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:41 pm

Haven't waterfowled in nearly a decade and looking for a little guidance on waterfowl areas in north Idaho. Limited on scouting as I am from the Seattle area, but want to take my wife and elderly father (who lives in Sandpoint) out around Thanksgiving. Any constructive guidance would be greatly appreciated. I also have a 1+ year old lab that I have put considerable training time into and would love to get him into some birds! I realize weather has a significant impact on waterfowl movement, but some general ideas would be tremendously appreciated!!! :biggrin:
limbbender
Newb

Re: North Idaho Newbe

Postby Abomb » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:58 pm

Yo do realize Sandpoint is right on a big azz lake and river right? That is where I would start.
Abomb
hunter

Postby limbbender » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:49 pm

I've been told that the accessible portions of the big water can be pretty crowded. I was hoping to avoid that with a new dog and hunter in the group, but thanks for your input!
limbbender
Newb

Postby HaydenHunter » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:44 am

Are you walking in or will you have a boat? The walk in spots are understandably more crowded but if you have access to a boat it will broaden your horizons.

Plenty of places to hunt within 1/2 hour of Sandpoint.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby limbbender » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:36 am

I have a 13 1/2' Gregor, but it is not camouflaged...yet. I could go either way; walk in or boat in. Not opposed to rowing, motoring or walking. My dad can't walk in very far however, but any suggestions would be appreciated. Most importantly, I "need" my wife to have a positive first experience on our first outing for ducks!!!!! Thanks! :biggrin:
limbbender
Newb

Postby Abomb » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:36 pm

Sorry if I came across a little harsh. Wish I was as eloquent as HH.

You do not need a camo boat to kill dux. Put the boat where you do not want the birds to land. Spend a morning scouting and hunt the afternoon or the next day. Afternoon shoots can be splendid.
Abomb
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting