homemade boat blind!

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, casey_714, jjohnson_714

homemade boat blind!

Postby Idahofowlweather » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:56 pm

I have been looking around and with some help from some of the guys on the rforums I came up with this... I made some modifications this weekend after looking at NOVAggie's casters for hinges on the boat forums... and they worked great and cheap...

Here is some pics this is made out of EMT conduit that I cut and welded were it needed... I had to lift up my motor 2 inches so I did so with treated lumber but do have plans on doing it the right way after the season... but it gave me a good base for the hinges... this blind will cover 95% of the boat in 3D grass and will be able to be set up in 45 seconds...

Still have to do a little cutting :o

The casters...

And this is the bar that holds the frame together when it is up it also locks when it is down so it is not bouncing around during travel...

I have put the Black Mesh Netting on last night but it was to dark to take picture but I think it has turned out great all I need is the grass mats to come in the mail and I'm ready to go...

So far the frame and hard ware cost me a total 21.00 and the Netting was free and the grass is 99.98 so a grand total of 120.00 that sure beats $500.00...

Jake
Idahofowlweather
hunter

Postby GanderCommander1 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:39 pm

IFW, looks like that will work real good. Post up when you get it all done. Always like to see the different stages of projects from start to finish in pictures. I also like those projects that give a guy something to do that he likes, improves upon what you had, and end result is saves some bucks. Are you really going to save money or does that mean you have more now for new dekes? Ha!
GanderCommander1
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:43 pm

IFW:

Even though it's covered with paint in the pix, that motor looks like a late 70's/early 80's Johnson/Evinrude. Am I right? What HP is it? How is she runnin'?
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:38 pm

looks like you got yourself a project :thumbsup: i thought building the blind was the best part on redoing our boat... :thumbsup:
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby cootkilla » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:44 am

Sweet IWF... Can't wait to hunt out of it.. So when we going?? :getdown: :mrgreen:
cootkilla
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:10 am

the only question i have is are you going to be able to see the ducks coming?... cause it looks pretty tall and if you are going to have grass mats on the outside then you are going to be looking out that small hole in the top... just wondering because we were wondering that on ours before we dropped the front rail down :thumbsup:
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby Idahofowlweather » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:16 am

Gander, saved a ton of money so now I can get those coot decoys from Avery... :laughing: :salude:

HH, its a 18 hp 1972 Evenrude, and runs great... it was set up to low in the water and the prop was chewed up but it did not vibrate when I tested it out.... the new prop should be in the mail anyday...

It started off taller but I would get in the boat and take it down a little at a time... now I can sit on the bench seat and have just my head sticking out so I can those low flying teal coming in... one thing I'm trying to do is to keep the top hole small so it does not look like a black hole when the birds are flying over the top...

Jake
Idahofowlweather
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:42 am

Jake-

Since you are using grass mats you can arrange them so that the "fringe" is at the top of the blind, rather than the blunt edge of the bottom of the mats being there. Arrange the grass mat height so that the fringe comes up over the top bars. It will break up the dark, boxy outline of the top opening of your blind and will conceal the outline of your heads as you peer over the top. This is the way that Mudbuddy, Go Devil, Cabelas and other commercial makers of grass blinds do it...and it works well.
HaydenHunter
hunter

here is some pics with the netting!

Postby Idahofowlweather » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:56 pm

Jake
Idahofowlweather
hunter

Postby Idahofowlweather » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:17 pm

here is the pictures of the grass mats on the netting... look good to me what do you think ?

all I have left to do is build the dog ramp on the transom, mount the head lights up front and build a switch plate for the starter button and light toggle switch... also have to dye some grass bundles green and brown so help break up some of the color...

Jake
Idahofowlweather
hunter

Postby justakiller » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:25 pm

jake-
Now how in the heck......are 3 fat boys..........gonna fit in that little narrow space...........I can see it now........trying to hide 2 or 3 boats :getdown:
justakiller
hunter

Postby Idahofowlweather » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:37 am

you will have to lose some weight... :getdown: their is lots of room when the blind is up just getting their is going to be the problem...

Jake
Idahofowlweather
hunter

if anyone needs help

Postby nickdahick » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:26 pm

i have built a few blinds in my day... if anyone needs help give a jingle. i guess mine cant be too bad, bill saunders sr stopped by a while ago and asked for some help with his
leaves little to guess, and a lot to be desired.....you should hear me butcher a call
nickdahick
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting