Numbers in Ada/canyon???

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

Numbers in Ada/canyon???

Postby duckcomanderJR. » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:35 pm

hey im headed back home this week for thanksgiving, what are numbers looking like down there?
if they fly they die!!
duckcomanderJR.
hunter

Re: Numbers in Ada/canyon???

Postby TROB » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:54 pm

zero.
Idaho...
TROB
hunter

Postby Snapshooter » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:48 pm

Saw the biggest flocks of the year on Friday. Tough wind last 2 days. If it keeps up, look for small protected water. Corn fields have lots of feed. I'd guess that the first wave of mallards from farther north (not canada birds yet...Early December for them) have arrived since we shot limits 3 times the last 2 weeks. Majority was younger dumber birds with a few pin feathers. There is some small amount of feed left on the rivers. With feed available, the birds will stay here...and get wise. Weather should be ok for hunting first part of the week...forecast calls for cloudy and wet. Then sunny. If the wind lets up they will want to group again on the bigger water. Sounds like a perfect time for the coves on Strike. After almost 50 years of hunting this area, I am a fan of Strike...even on 60 degree sunny windless days it was good. Good luck.
Snapshooter
hunter

Postby IdahoSkies » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:37 am

They are here. Have fun.
IdahoSkies
hunter

Postby mojocoot » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:37 pm

Agree with snapshooter... some decent numbers around but getting smart quick. Definitely don't think the big wave(s) is here or else it's a pathetic migration this year. This September-like weather isn't going to do us any favors unless you're on the X. Hoping for some "good" weather and the real migration in the next couple of weeks but who knows. Still plenty here now to make it worth chasing them.
mojocoot
hunter

Postby Snapshooter » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:59 pm

Not a good weekend for me in the Melba/Snake area. Sunday was grim. Nothing flying the river. Suspect birds are rafting up on the bigger waters. I would say we need new birds in the area. However, I would guess the cornfields/potholes would be good since there are decent numbers in the area and the weather is fine...i.e. no reason for ducks to leave the area. Tell me some of your success stories...cause Saturday and Sunday were poor for me.
Snapshooter
hunter

Postby Will182 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:58 pm

Not a good weekend for me either. I spent Friday afternoon and today out on Lake Lowell. Got 1 teal and 1 drake mallard. All the birds out here are locals and they've been shot at so many times I couldn't even get anything to come within 100 yards of my Mojos. Hoping for some weather this week to bring in some new birds.
Will182
Newb

Postby stbowsh » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:41 pm

Had a good Saturday on the Payette, 2 hunters 13 ducks by 10:30. It will get better with colder weather.
stbowsh
hunter

Postby carl1783 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:51 am

Had an ok day on the 21st in Canyon County. Wound up with 8 ducks between 3 hunters. Seems like mostly local birds, and it was warm enough for shorts and a t-shirt.
13/14
Mallard: 6
Geese: 2
carl1783
hunter

Postby Duck-slayer » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:57 am

you guys are funny giving lake lowell a bad report.... that's the only place people are consistently killing birds, I know of 5 guys that all limited out on Sat., the weekend before there were 9 guys and they shot 62 birds last sat., so lowell has been good if you know what your doing, I don't hunt it anymore so it don't bother me too tell a few people about how good it has been.... :biggrin:
Matt
Duck-slayer
hunter

Postby mojocoot » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:08 am

Duck-slayer wrote:you guys are funny giving lake lowell a bad report.... that's the only place people are consistently killing birds, I know of 5 guys that all limited out on Sat., the weekend before there were 9 guys and they shot 62 birds last sat., so lowell has been good if you know what your doing, I don't hunt it anymore so it don't bother me too tell a few people about how good it has been.... :biggrin:
Matt

Pics? Hard to imagine guys killing that many limits in one morning and not snapping a photo or two. And since you already told everyone where they were hunting I don't think there would be any harm in the pics at this point. With numbers like that it's not hard to see why those public access places at Lowell are stacked with rigs every morning.
mojocoot
hunter

Postby waveslider » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:35 am

Duck-slayer wrote:you guys are funny giving lake lowell a bad report.... that's the only place people are consistently killing birds,

Really? That's the ONLY place huh? I guess I need to go figure out how to hunt Lake Lowell then since all the other hunts where I'm limiting out don't matter much. Where is Lake Lowell anyway?
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby Duckhunter6989 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:56 pm

I have hunted lake lowell several times lately and it is hit or miss. Some times you could get a limit and other times your lucky to get 1. There are a ton of birds but they are stale, they all know right where the "no hunt zones" are and don't bother with anywhere else generally. Good luck out there. I do have this to say though... If you go out there and there is someone set up already don't set up right next to them. it sounds like common sense but there have been several times where people set up within 50 yards out there, just stupid.
Duckhunter6989
hunter

Postby Duck-slayer » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:28 pm

waveslider, that's not what I meant...... I know several other places "river" that people are killing birds.... why should I post pics of other peoples stuff..... that's not me..... if you wanna see what i've been doing look at the pic thread.... :thumbsup:
Matt
Duck-slayer
hunter

Postby twsnow18 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:44 pm

there is literally NOTHING on the boise river. I made the mistake of hiking into our best spot on the boise near Star last Wednesday. Neither of us fired a shot. We did not see one bird even using the river as a flyway, much less land on it. We did see a couple thousand birds get off of some large private ponds and hop right over the river into corn fields etc.

Last Tuesday, I hunted a small ditch on a buddy's place (I killed 11 finishing mallards there between the 2 previous hunts) and killed 3 between two of us. The morning flight started really strong and the first two groups committed easily, then 10 minutes after light NOTHING was flying, even up high. I think the winds were too strong and the birds hunkered down, I normally see thousands of birds up high flying all morning until at least 10 or 11am.

As far as I'm concerned, we need a drastic weather change for the rivers to be good or hope you have access to private fields, ponds or potholes.
How to start an argument online:

1. State an opinion.
2. Then wait.
twsnow18
hunter

Postby waveslider » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:23 pm

TWSnow,

The reality is without a drastic change in weather (or a drastic change in moon phase) it doesn't really matter if you are on the fields either. The birds are stale any way you slice it. The X is moving around and if you are lucky to either find it or have enough time to scout for it, you can really slay birds. Any talk of "favorite spots" kind of goes out the window right now.

If you do the windshield time, you can shoot some birds but they probably aren't where they were yesterday.

I have access to several private fields, no pressure, no competition. Doesn't help when the birds come in at 5:40pm and stay all night... Its not even cold enough to make them feed twice a day.

If you drop a sink box into the middle of...(name your favorite resevoir here) you could kill some serious fowl....
waveslider
hunter

Postby twsnow18 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:43 pm

Yeah very good points. The 10 day forecast is showling lots of rain but that's about it, not much for a temperature change. Hopefully some weather shows up and we have a strong migration this year. From the sounds of it on here, no such luck yet.
How to start an argument online:

1. State an opinion.
2. Then wait.
twsnow18
hunter

Postby mojocoot » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:00 pm

Duck-slayer wrote:waveslider, that's not what I meant...... I know several other places "river" that people are killing birds.... why should I post pics of other peoples stuff..... that's not me..... if you wanna see what i've been doing look at the pic thread.... :thumbsup:
Matt

That's not you? So it's only "you" to tell other people where you're buddies are hunting and doing well? Just thought that if you were gonna brag about what other people are doing you would also be willing to prove it. Not that you owe it to anyone, but most people like to back up their "pie in the sky" stories. Oh well, hopefully it pushes a few more folks to Lowell and off the spots I like to go.
mojocoot
hunter

Postby waveslider » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:31 pm

mojocoot wrote:
Duck-slayer wrote:Oh well, hopefully it pushes a few more folks to Lowell and off the spots I like to go.

:clapping:
waveslider
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting