Pocatello Duck Hunting

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

Pocatello Duck Hunting

Postby WingedHunter16 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:44 am

Im currently a student at ISU, and looking forward to learning how to duck hunt in Idaho. Im from Nevada, where I have done some duck hunting but really want to get into it more. Just wondering if their is any way to meet up with some people to show me the ropes and or give me some good areas to go. I don't have a boat, so I will be wading in. Please let me know it will be greatly appreciated.
WingedHunter16
hunter

Re: Pocatello Duck Hunting

Postby IdahoSkies » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:42 pm

I haven't been over in that end of the state for some time but you have mostly snake river hunting out your way. There are a few wide flat areas that you can wade in without worrying that you will go in. Check out the Neeley area west of you that was always decent, and there were some long flat spots that you can lay out dekes without having to have a boat. Good luck, and take someone with you from your dorm if you can't find someone else, just so there are two of you when you are working the river. (even if they don't shoot).
IdahoSkies
hunter

Postby graphixx » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:28 pm

when I used to live there we used to hunt american falls and did pretty good and also inbetween inkom and mccammon along the portneuf there are some good spots.....just get out there and see what ya see..........GOOD LUCK
Bad decisions usually make the BEST stories!
graphixx
hunter

Postby Tenner » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:20 pm

Be careful right now on the snake, especially around Neely. It is very shallow. Right now the cover is about 30-40 yards from the water edge and most spots are clean up to the channel. Just watch yourself. I usually hunt the snake around AF but the river is so low, it has not been very good. I have been hunting around the resevior and busting geese in the fields.
Tenner
hunter

Postby Justin300mag » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:07 pm

Neeley used to be my main spot 15+ years ago. It isn't nearly as good as it used to be, it has gotten very popular. I used to go there twice a week and limit out nearly every trip. Rarely did you have to worry about other people being there. Last time I hunted it was on a thursday and there was already 5 cars parked there an hour and a half before shooting hours. I have friends that still hunt it but mainly to pass shoot goldeneyes. the birds seem to have gotten wise to that spot. With my new honeyholes I have found I may never hunt it again. Unless I get an itch to shoot some divers.
Justin300mag
hunter

Postby whiskerbiscuit » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:16 pm

Justin300mag wrote:Neeley used to be my main spot 15+ years ago. It isn't nearly as good as it used to be, it has gotten very popular. I used to go there twice a week and limit out nearly every trip. Rarely did you have to worry about other people being there. Last time I hunted it was on a thursday and there was already 5 cars parked there an hour and a half before shooting hours. I have friends that still hunt it but mainly to pass shoot goldeneyes. the birds seem to have gotten wise to that spot. With my new honeyholes I have found I may never hunt it again. Unless I get an itch to shoot some divers.

I think duck point is the best place in SE Idaho.
whiskerbiscuit
hunter

Postby rookie20011 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:50 pm

:lol: A bunch of guys camping out in the sage brush sky blasting birds that fly over a cliff isnt HUNTING!!!!!! SRY!
rookie20011
hunter

Postby Tenner » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:25 pm

Yea I used to hunt duck point, I havent for 2 years. It got to the point where it was way to much skybusting. It was getting so bad that people would shoot just to flare your birds.
Tenner
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting