Idaho information please?

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

Idaho information please?

Postby Mean Gene » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:29 am

I'll be right up front with you...the wife and are are seriously looking at the possibility of moving out of California, and Idaho is one of the states we're looking at. I am hoping some one here will take a little time and speak with me about the pros and cons of Idaho.

Right now we live in the LAST piece of California worth living in. My town has a population of 7000: the entire county is only 43,000. I have a LOT of duck hunting and fishing close to me. I have a comfortable house. My daughters are married and both live in this state.

I'm a retired fireman...I don't need to find a job. I hunt ducks hard. I fish a lot. The wife and I both play bluegrass music. Last summer I crawled through 50 yards of star thistle to get close enough to shoot a wild pig with my 121 year old Winchester 1873 .44-.40. Neither the wife or I has ever voted for any Democrat. My wife and I have been married for 31 years. I'm not a card carrying member of the land of fruit and nuts...and I'm darned sure not going to bring any piece of this state with me wherever I go.

The political landscape is what will drive us out of this state. If SB53 passes, and I have do doubt that it will, it will be the absolute last straw.

If we go, we want to find a place with a small town atmosphere; we want to be around people who give a rat's butt about each other and are willing to help each other; Neither of us wants to be around a large population center; I want good duck and goose hunting; we both want good fishing; we'd love to be around other bluegrass pickers; we want someplace affordable. We do NOT want to move out of the frying pan ad into the fire.

So, is there anybody here who would be willing to take some time and talk with me about Idaho? You can PM me and we'll go from there.

Thanks,
Gene
Mean Gene
hunter

Re: Idaho information please?

Postby Slidellduckhunter » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:54 am

A quick comeback, I'll let some of the natives reply in detail as they are more qualified. I am replying as I arrived in Idaho (Boise) 6 1/2 years ago after living in Costa Mesa, CA for the previous 10 years and I have yet to have a second's regret, in fact I jumped at the chance of a job transfer to get out of So Cal. I had lived in New Mexico eons ago for 9 years and loved it and Idaho gave me all of the same feelings as New Mexico did - the biggest factor is 4 distinct seasons of the year. You can get rural here quickly and it is an outdoor paradise (unless you snorkel). Boise is the largest city in the state and the only one over 200,000 population (about 205,000) and it is the only city over 100,000 population. My wife is from Xiamen, China, considered a small city at 3.5 million which is about twice of the entire population of Idaho. [And by the way she loves living in Idaho]. You've said all the right things and this state is definitely the right color for you (as it is for most of us). As for duck hunting look at some of the pics shown on this forum and that should convince you.
Do you know why Cajuns don't hunt elephants? Because the decoys won't fit in their pirogues!
Slidellduckhunter
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:14 am

Slidellduckhunter wrote:A quick comeback, I'll let some of the natives reply in detail as they are more qualified. I am replying as I arrived in Idaho (Boise) 6 1/2 years ago after living in Costa Mesa, CA for the previous 10 years and I have yet to have a second's regret, in fact I jumped at the chance of a job transfer to get out of So Cal. I had lived in New Mexico eons ago for 9 years and loved it and Idaho gave me all of the same feelings as New Mexico did - the biggest factor is 4 distinct seasons of the year. You can get rural here quickly and it is an outdoor paradise (unless you snorkel). Boise is the largest city in the state and the only one over 200,000 population (about 205,000) and it is the only city over 100,000 population. My wife is from Xiamen, China, considered a small city at 3.5 million which is about twice of the entire population of Idaho. [And by the way she loves living in Idaho]. You've said all the right things and this state is definitely the right color for you (as it is for most of us). As for duck hunting look at some of the pics shown on this forum and that should convince you.

Thanks man. This state is a train wreck anymore. SB53 would simply be too much. We have some family in Coeur D'alene, so I could go visit them, just seems a bit yuppyish around them. We aren't skiers though, so that might make a difference there. A small city of 3.5 million!...wow. :eek: :eek: I like the idea of quickly getting rural. Rural would fit us to a T.
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby drakz » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:51 pm

Idaho has lots of pro's but what I'm trying to figure out is why your leavng? Sounds nice their! My pick for you is Weiser Idaho. Its a small quite town about 45 minutes from boise and has highway 95 running through it. There is great rainbow fishing north of weiser on 95 and some steelhead just a bit farther down....cats and crappie on the snake even closer to weiser....Their is good duck hunting in the immediate area and a wma not far away in new plymoth/payette.....the treasure valley is a decent waterfowl haven....I've been here my whole life.....hope this helps....
is that my beer?
drakz
hunter

Postby drakz » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:58 pm

At the same time don't let the city of boise fool you....one thing new people find here is everyone is so much nicer than where they came from and it has a quite small time vibe but for theones that like the big city vibe, it has that as well, but they seperate themself's nicely....if you have a little money look at mccall....but the farther north you go the more snow you get....I will never leave idaho, its a great place to live....

I just met some people who moved here and I would suggest getting a place to rent in the boise valley and just get out and explore till you find something you like....
is that my beer?
drakz
hunter

Postby highrisetackle » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:06 pm

Ill just say midway ut, and or heber ut. Is the place u need to be. I moved here to enjoy the outdoors. As i own a guide service now and hunt duck alone. Should say a few things. Send me a pm and we can talk more. Id no.left there to come here
69 shots

15 mallards
5 gadwal
1 honker
1 ring neck..
1 goldeneye
1 new gun
highrisetackle
hunter

Postby Idahoryden » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:11 pm

I'm a transplant from the State of TX and have lived in 4 states in all, for education and work purposes. Idaho is a great state and we very much enjoy it here, but there are many states in the Northwest that can offer you what you are looking for. Wyoming, Utah, Nevada, Oregon, Montana, and Washington all have nice rural areas with healthy duck hunting to be had. Pro's and Con's to everywhere. Best of luck on your decision.
Idahoryden
hunter

Postby montana quackhead » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:13 pm

Montana is full..i hear North Dakota is nice. Idaho has a nice diversity of terrain. Like the fellow above mentioned, the snake anedd salmon have great fishing from bass to sturgeon (snake) and steelhead/salmon (salmon). I've never duck hunted around those parts, but the chukar hunting is awesome. Good luck on your quest.
Give me some quack and I'll never work again
montana quackhead
hunter

Postby Slidellduckhunter » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:59 pm

montana quackhead wrote:Montana is full..i hear North Dakota is nice.

That's actually funny (and understandable). What's funny is that Montana is ranked 48th in population density by state, the Dakotas are 47 and 46th (North and South). The only states with less population density than Montana is Wyoming and Alaska. For the record Idaho is ranked 44th (at 3 times the density than Montana).
Do you know why Cajuns don't hunt elephants? Because the decoys won't fit in their pirogues!
Slidellduckhunter
hunter

Postby Idaho Mike » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:59 pm

montana quackhead wrote:Montana is full..i hear North Dakota is nice.

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
Idaho Mike
hunter

Postby Lil Duck » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:46 pm

I suggest you move to the city of Rathdrum, about 15 minutes from the beautiful Coeur D Alene lake. It's a nice quiet town where everyone will wave at you. And everyone is armed, lots of local restraunts. We have a local farm where you can pick your own fruits or vegetables. We have local lakes with great fishing including hauser lake home to massive musky, state record was caught here. Duck hunting can be found on any lake with sportsmans access. To the north there is sandpoint which is a walking town just pure beauty, and just not far from sandpoint you can find great duck hunting on beautiful pend o reille lake and Clark fork. And there is also nice big game hunting including elk, deer, bear, and you can put your drawing in for a moose tag. I suggest you move here myself, you will not regret it!
Lil Duck
Newb

Postby paco76 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:32 pm

I am ashamed of my fellow Idahoans who suggest you move here. The state has changed a great deal in the past ten years. Those of you who are inviting others in are making it worse.
paco76
hunter

Postby swanpig » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:02 pm

paco76 wrote:I am ashamed of my fellow Idahoans who suggest you move here. The state has changed a great deal in the past ten years. Those of you who are inviting others in are making it worse.

The states HAS changed a lot in the last ten years. But I think the kind of folks that we want moving here are exactly these kind of folks.
Gettin er done, one duck at a time!
swanpig
hunter

Postby twsnow18 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:12 pm

+1

too many old stubborn idahoans that discourage change/but more so progression here. that's why our economy is stagnant and hurting so badly in rural areas. we're stuck up in our ways.
How to start an argument online:

1. State an opinion.
2. Then wait.
twsnow18
hunter

Postby waveslider » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:26 pm

Twsnow,

I guess that depends on what you consider "progression". If progression is people moving here from California to escape and then turning around and trying to impose the same kind of liberal, "forward-thinking" non-free market, let the govt tell you what to do Kind of thinking,then you can keep your progression. I like it just the way it is.

And it's not just limited to people in town either, I watched several farms get bought by California farmers in my neck of the woods and the very first thing they did was rent a bulldozer and take down every single fence row and ditch line that had any brush or shrub or tree or cover. Which consequently evicted every single quail, pheasant, and critter from the area. You see, in California if you have a tree on your fence line you're a dirty farmer and who cares about the animals. It's not about getting one more row of corn, it's about how your farm looks with trees, I mean weeds.

So, while the person that started this post seems to come from a good place where they want to escape for the right reasons, many of your "progressive" ideas are just the exact same thing that many of us are trying to prevent.

The minute Boise passed the smoking ban signaled to us that we need to find somewhere ELSE to escape to since Idaho is now headed downhill. And it's not just people in Boise either. There are many other examples of "progression" that are found in places like Cali that you can keep.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby IdahoDirtFarmer » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:48 pm

waveslider wrote:Twsnow,

I guess that depends on what you consider "progression". If progression is people moving here from California to escape and then turning around and trying to impose the same kind of liberal, "forward-thinking" non-free market, let the govt tell you what to do Kind of thinking,then you can keep your progression. I like it just the way it is.

And it's not just limited to people in town either, I watched several farms get bought by California farmers in my neck of the woods and the very first thing they did was rent a bulldozer and take down every single fence row and ditch line that had any brush or shrub or tree or cover. Which consequently evicted every single quail, pheasant, and critter from the area. You see, in California if you have a tree on your fence line you're a dirty farmer and who cares about the animals. It's not about getting one more row of corn, it's about how your farm looks with trees, I mean weeds.

So, while the person that started this post seems to come from a good place where they want to escape for the right reasons, many of your "progressive" ideas are just the exact same thing that many of us are trying to prevent.

The minute Boise passed the smoking ban signaled to us that we need to find somewhere ELSE to escape to since Idaho is now headed downhill. And it's not just people in Boise either. There are many other examples of "progression" that are found in places like Cali that you can keep.

^^^^ What he said!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
IdahoDirtFarmer
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:31 pm

You guys are lumping all Californians into one generalized group. But you know that's not how it is. When I moved here from California in the 90s I was welcomed by Panhandle locals who told me "just don't turn this into what you left and we will be ok with you moving here." I left California behind for a reason and have been happy to comply with their request.

You are being overly simplistic if you think that no change or progress would be good for any area. I am all for retaining old time values and living the simple life. But this state would likely be in the economic doldrums without having life breathed into it by businesses and people immigrating to Idaho. The days of logging, mining and farming running the economic engine of this state are long gone. Sad that this is the case, but true. You can't turn back the clock.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby Slidellduckhunter » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:44 pm

HaydenHunter wrote:You guys are lumping all Californians into one generalized group. But you know that's not how it is. When I moved here from California in the 90s I was welcomed by Panhandle locals who told me "just don't turn this into what you left and we will be ok with you moving here." I left California behind for a reason and have been happy to comply with their request.

You are being overly simplistic if you think that no change or progress would be good for any area. I am all for retaining old time values and living the simple life. But this state would likely be in the economic doldrums without having life breathed into it by businesses and people immigrating to Idaho. The days of logging, mining and farming running the economic engine of this state are long gone. Sad that this is the case, but true. You can't turn back the clock.

It appears looking at some of the posts that there is a temptation in the generalization of lumping anyone coming from California as being a "Californian"...I moved here from there but I am not a native of California nor a "Californian". I totally agree with HaydenHunter above. But let's look back at the specific reason for this post and the issue at hand and this was an individual (Mean Gene) who stated much of what I believe the average Idahoan, native or not, appreciates and enjoys; a desire to move where there is the wild outdoors and the associated hunting and fishing. But in this day and age to think that any state, county, or city can be immune to any influx of "outsiders" then they are sadly misinformed. It's a nice thought and perhaps a hope but it is not the reality of today.
Slidellduckhunter
hunter

Postby waveslider » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:23 pm

The reality is that while many people that defect from California claim to want to regain their personal freedom, that they don't want too suck from the government teet anymore and they want to return to the free market and family values with no more limits to personal freedom. However what ends up happening is that they realize " wow, that's hard" or.... "man, that's not how it was in Cali" and pretty soon they start pushing for more legislation and start looking for many of the same familiar things they had in california and pretty soon it just becomes California North like Oregon has become. Now, I'm not saying that mean gene or Hayden or twsnow are people like that but well meaning people can talk about it, but when the reality hits that personal freedom comes with the price of personal responsibility then all of a sudden, California "progressive values" with an Idaho wrapper doesn't sound so bad.

There's no need for change or progress, there is only a need for hard working people to exercise entrepreneurialism without the meddling of legislation and handouts.

Hayden- mining, farming and to a lesser degree logging haven't been an important piece of Idaho state revenue for decades. What, pray tell ,immigrant influence has Idaho benefited from? Energy? CleanTech? Research? All strong government subsidized sectors spearheaded by (mostly) Californians.

It's not a matter of whether or not Mean Gene thinks he wants to escape California, it's a matter of once he gets here, what path will he follow.
waveslider
hunter

Postby waveslider » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:37 pm

And in terms of how the duck hunting is, I said it before and I'll say it again- people are not looking at the pictures posted on the Internet chat forum and going, man I HAVE to move to Idaho for the duck hunting. California ranks in the top 3 every year in waterfowl success rates and Idaho is so low on that list it doesn't matter. Seriously. Arizona probably has better duck hunting than we do, that doesn't mean we shouldn't enjoy it to the fullest, I just laugh (as a Missouri native) at the thought that people here think they have found some sort of waterfowl nirvana that we have to protect like we've found the secret fountain of youth.

Are there ducks here? Sure but pound for pound it's not worth rearranging your life over. We post a greenhead limit like its some elusive scepter and my friends from Louisiana and Arkansas laugh.

If you are loosing your spots to other people because you think the duck hunting is getting too crowded then you need different spots
waveslider
hunter

Postby waterfowler2484 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:58 pm

Call me what ever you want, but its not just the Calis who have invaded! This vally is very diversified in all cultures.
I grew up in McCall and will never go back and its because of the locals not the transplants. Boise is the same I have to live and work here so I do. Sometimes Im embarressed to call myself an Idahoen just Because of the Way some of you JACKHOLES act towards people who are actually complimenting our beutiful state by wanting to live here. Welcome to you if you come dont make negativity keep you from this awsome state

P.S.
If I could move out of the city I would move to Parma!!!
"For every action, theres REACTION!!!"
waterfowler2484
hunter

Postby twsnow18 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:06 pm

I made that statement without intentions of bringing up an argument about Californian's and NR's buying up farm and hunting ground. I was simply talking economics. Believe it or not, I am a Republican and have never lived anywhere else. It seems as though some of you view me as a liberal. Not even close.

I'm not vying for Californian's what so ever but without them and other entrepreneurs from more developed social systems, we are so far behind probably 45 states it's not even funny. I AM SPEAKING IN TERMS OF BUSINESS GROWTH . FARMING, HUNTING AND LAND DEVELOPMENT ASIDE, THAT'S AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT TOPIC.

Look at our rural communities in the state, using Valley County as an example. STRUGGLING TO SAY THE LEAST. Why? A lack of corporately business minded people and jobs. Compare that to the Treasure Valley, as much as you country dwellers hate us. This valley is one of the top places to live and fastest growing communities in the country. Which doesn't always benefit us in the outdoors, I understand, but it does provide us with jobs so that we are financially able to enjoy our hobby of choice. Tamarack Resort is a perfect example. If it succeeds, against most of you country folks' wishes, it will the best thing that has happened to Valley County, probably ever.

WE HAVE WAY TOO MUCH OLD SCHOOL STAGNANT HICK MENTALITIES IN THIS STATE AND IT PISSES ME OFF THAT MANY OF US RESIDENTS WOULD TURN AWAY NON RESIDENT HUNTERS OR PEOPLE LOOKING TO RELOCATE TO OUR WONDERFUL STATE. I KNOW THERE ARE SOME BAD APPLES IN TERMS OF NON RESIDENT HUNTERS FOR SURE, BUT HONESTLY, MOST OF THE ONES I HAVE MET HAVE BEEN MUCH MORE PLEASANT TO DEAL WITH IN THE OUTDOORS. COMPARED TO OUR REDNECK DUMB CHIT RESIDENTS BLASTING DOES OFF THE ROAD WITH A BEER IN THEIR HAND. IF I JUST DESCRIBED YOU, PLEASE TAKE IT PERSONAL. LET THE UNEDUCATED MISSPELLED RUN ON SENTENCE REPLIES COMMENCE.

1. State an opinion.
2. Then wait.
twsnow18
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:09 pm

Just what Idaho needs: another redneck.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby 10Tenner » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:32 pm

Look at our rural communities in the state, using Valley County as an example. STRUGGLING TO SAY THE LEAST. Why? A lack of corporately business minded people and jobs. Compare that to the Treasure Valley, as much as you country dwellers hate us. This valley is one of the top places to live and fastest growing communities in the country. Which doesn't always benefit us in the outdoors, I understand, but it does provide us with jobs so that we are financially able to enjoy our hobby of choice. Tamarack Resort is a perfect example. If it succeeds, against most of you country folks' wishes, it will the best thing that has happened to Valley County, probably ever.

Why do think Utah hunters come up your way. Land is all gone from Weber county south 40+ miles agriculture gone due to development, and north of Weber county is private lease or clubs. You want it you will get it. 10Tenner
10Tenner
hunter

Postby twsnow18 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:16 pm

That's why I said,

"Which doesn't always benefit us in the outdoors, I understand..."

But yes, I understand. Those Utards do pay our fish cops' salaries and are often, NOT ALWAYS, more pleasant than our rednecks.

1. State an opinion.
2. Then wait.
twsnow18
hunter

Next

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting