- 5 Barrows

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

- 5 Barrows

Postby MountainGreenhead » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:43 pm

I hit a spring I knew was holding birds tonight for about an hour. Jumped geese and ducks off it without getting a shot and got set up. About twenty very cold minutes later the first pair of birds came in perfect. I dropped them both and was pretty sure the drake was a Barrows. Gunner made two quick retrieves and I had my first Barrows in hand. As soon as the dog and I got covered up, the next pair of birds deked in - dead. We were both covered in ice and it was about 5 minutes till shooting light so I packed up the gear and headed out. It was cool watching swarms of ducks landing on the spring as I left.
Photo0040 (1024x768).jpg
"No, there's no such thing as dedicated about it. You guys just like to kill stuff."
MountainGreenhead
hunter

Re: - 5 Barrows

Postby waveslider » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:26 pm

Wow, mature Barrows. Love the blue head. We shot an immature one the other day that was an absolute brusier. Wish he was mature. Nice Work.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby bobcanoes » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:30 pm

Very nice!
bobcanoes
hunter

Postby tealdog » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:20 pm

Are these rare? A mature drake Barrows?
tealdog
hunter

Postby waveslider » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:55 am

In these parts I would say it is a bit of a rarity to shoot a mature Barrows. If memory serves, it takes them about 3-4 years to mature and then they kind of get drowned out by the common goldies.

I have seen them resting on the water in flocks (mostly immature) but generally mix in with the other ducks.

I havent shot one in Idaho yet..... but I'm also not good enough to pick them out in the air flying like some others can.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting