Nice Cold Day with some Green

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

Nice Cold Day with some Green

Postby bobcanoes » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:44 pm

Had a wonderful day with my old hunting buddy, the weather was very cold, blue sky and Mallards.

hunted the sunny side of the river as I had observed the ducks the day before sunny verse in the shadows. It ended up being the right decission.
Last edited by bobcanoes on Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobcanoes
hunter

Re: Nice Cold Day with some Green

Postby rikasam2013 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:29 pm

My friend Brandon and I agree, very nice for-5.....
Attachments
2013ducks 006.jpg
rikasam2013
hunter

Postby Snapshooter » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:55 am

Nice job!

Did you hunt below Trapper Flat? If so we were upriver from you. We heard some real banging down that way. 2 limits by 8:30. But we hunted the shady side. Seemed fine.
Snapshooter
hunter

Postby Riley » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:41 pm

Neg. west grand view on snake
Brandon
Lucy the poodle
Riley
hunter

Postby waveslider » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:41 am

Bob,

Interesting comment about the sunny side vs. shadow side. I observed the exact opposite thing during the cold snap as well. When I scouted, all the birds seemed to like to huddle on the cold side of the river which I noted as odd but whcked them in the shadows the following day (and froze my butt off in the process).

I'm wondering if there is a pattern to be followed or if its just the fact that they go to the side that they like and don't really care.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby bobcanoes » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:23 pm

waveslider wrote:Bob,

Interesting comment about the sunny side vs. shadow side. I observed the exact opposite thing during the cold snap as well. When I scouted, all the birds seemed to like to huddle on the cold side of the river which I noted as odd but whcked them in the shadows the following day (and froze my butt off in the process).

I'm wondering if there is a pattern to be followed or if its just the fact that they go to the side that they like and don't really care.

I do not know, I have normally hunted the shady side of any river to hide more than anything else, however, for hose few days when the cold really set-in I noticed all the ducks and geese suning. I also saw ducks on the shady side where they normally go, however, 10 to 1 they went to the sunny side.

I hunted Sunday afternoon and I also saw alot more ducks on the sunny side than in the shade. I think that if all things the same and the sun is out the birds enjoy the sun just like us.
bobcanoes
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting