Nuthin but green!

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

Nuthin but green!

Postby MountainGreenhead » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:49 pm

This might be my last hunt of the season so I had to make it a good one. The dog and I slowly made our way through some deep snow and got to a spot that always produces. I set out 3 full body mallards, 1 widgeon and 5 mallards floaters. I hunted about 2 1/2 hours and decoyed pretty much all drakes. I gave soft chatter calls when birds circled and they dropped like rocks. The dog did great, zero lost birds. Today was how mallard hunting should be.
Photo0059 (800x600).jpg
"No, there's no such thing as dedicated about it. You guys just like to kill stuff."
MountainGreenhead
hunter

Re: Nuthin but green!

Postby thebigh20 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:04 pm

Nice work! I had one of those last weekend... Fun and memorable hunts!

image.jpg
thebigh20
hunter

Postby twsnow18 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:11 pm

Nice work MGH!!! Where do you live at? I think I may have asked you this question before. Sounds like you duck hunt in the woods, that's awesome.
How to start an argument online:

1. State an opinion.
2. Then wait.
twsnow18
hunter

Postby MountainGreenhead » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:53 pm

Tsnow,

I live in the Bear Lake area, but you can find me chasing ducks from Blackfoot all the way down to Preston. SE area is cool because you can target certain species throughout the season if you know which spots to hit and when. I'm just glad we didn't get a warm winter like last year, that was tough.
"No, there's no such thing as dedicated about it. You guys just like to kill stuff."
MountainGreenhead
hunter

Postby twsnow18 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:57 pm

Cool, looks/sounds like you had a successful season! I'm not too familiar with SE Idaho unfortunately.

I haven't had much luck targeting certain species in the Treasure Valley. Sometimes hunting the rivers close to town with easy access, it's more of a take what you can get type of hunt. These cold temps have helped us a ton out this way though. Cold for me is probably t-shirt weather for you Eastern folk.
How to start an argument online:

1. State an opinion.
2. Then wait.
twsnow18
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting