Marsing

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

Marsing

Postby Duckhunter6989 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:49 am

I hunted this past weekend on the Snake near Mountain Home with very little luck, not many malards and the few that were around wanted nothing to do with our spot. I was thinking about trying Marsing. Is the ramp open or is it all iced up? Anybody having any luck over there?
Duckhunter6989
hunter

Re: Marsing

Postby Slidellduckhunter » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:00 am

I have never hunted around Marsing or used the ramp there but I can tell you that the ramp I use at Walter's Ferry (about 8-9 miles upriver from Marsing) is totally frozen over. Looking at some of the chunks someone popped out of there when it was a little warmer last week the ice is at least 6 inches thick and with this week's temps I am sure it is thicker. The actually ramp is about 20 yards from the river and the flowing water and it is that 20 yards that is froze. I've only been able to launch there by dragging the boat across the ice on the edge and jumping in the boat from the bank at the river - a real pain but necessary if I want to hunt. I can only do this because I have a small rig (10ft Mirrorcraft and 5HP motor). And my last time out (Tuesday at mid-day) I am now seeing a little ice floating in the river.
Do you know why Cajuns don't hunt elephants? Because the decoys won't fit in their pirogues!
Slidellduckhunter
hunter

Postby lcooley » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:14 am

Hey how was the snake around mountain home last weekend? Was it very frozen?
Please let me know. Thanks!
lcooley
Newb

Postby dudejcb » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:17 am

lcooley wrote:Hey how was the snake around mountain home last weekend? Was it very frozen?
Please let me know. Thanks!

The $60,000 question as we close in the last days ... I'm going to scout the ramps and river today (with binos from my truck) to make sure we don't become a mini-Titanic tomorrow morning at dark-thirty. Been hearing reports of large ice chunks, ice sheets, ice jams over near Ontario. The guys that mentioned these conditions said their jet pump kept freezing up also, which is a very dangerous thing anywhere there's the ususal river current (and anywhere there's no current is probably frozen solid).
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby attk64 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:43 pm

The snake is not frozen over near Mt. Home (Grand View), all launches are open
attk64
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting