DU Needs a Puppy!!

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

DU Needs a Puppy!!

Postby dams10ww » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:53 am

The Pocatello Chapter of Ducks Unlimited is looking for a puppy or two for our upcoming banquet on February 9th. If you have a pup or know someone that would be willing to help us out please get a hold of me ASAP so we can get the name and the puppy on the program. ( If you donate a puppy we will be providing you with dinner for you and a guest and we'll throw in some raffle tickets as well.) The puppy donation is tax deductible and we will provide you with the necessary tax forms at the banquet as well. This is a great opportunity to advertise yourkennel or training abilities that you have. Thanks in advance!
dams10ww
hunter

Re: DU Needs a Puppy!!

Postby mojocoot » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:51 pm

As a hunting dog owner and lover, and a DU member and former chapter committee member who helped put on more than one banquet I'd like to make a suggestion that may help you in getting a better quality dog for your banquet. Guarantee the breader that you will screen potential bidders and not let their dog go home with some guy who is too drunk to think clearly and will regret the decision the next day. Or better yet, tell the breeder they will have the final say on if the winning bidder does indeed get the dog.

I'm not saying this situation is the norm at banquets, but I've seen it twice. On one occasion the buyer actually inquired about returning the puppy less than a week after they bought it. When I was on the committee we always had trouble getting a puppy from the higher end breeding stock, and the reason was always the same. Good breeders screen their buyers thoroughly because they care for their animals, and many will not trade a puppy to a poor home in exchange for some marketing.

DU is a GREAT organization, and like I said I'm a member and have helped put on banquets in the past. But this is one small area that I would like to see banquets improve.

Best of luck in your search and in putting on a great banquet. :beer:
mojocoot
hunter

Re: DU Needs a Puppy!!

Postby dams10ww » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:41 pm

Thanks for the input! I hope we can get some quality dogs found before the event :wink:
dams10ww
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting