Shooting up to an HOUR after shooting time.

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

Shooting up to an HOUR after shooting time.

Postby waveslider » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:48 am

Shame on people that shoot after shooting time. You break the law and you screw up the best hunting we have had in a long time. Running ducks off their roost results in one thing- migration.

And I'm not talking about one late, lone shot. We heard a WAR going on until 6:22 last night. 6:22! Shooting time ended at 5:27.

Makes me so angry I hope I never have the misfortune of running into them.

If you are someone that shoots after shooting time and you come back to find 4 flat tires on your rig. You might as well look me up because I'm probably the person that did it. No sense in hiding it, that's just how serious I am about the whole thing.

Jackholes. Heard a guy (road hunter) shoot 15 minutes before shooting time under the full moon a while back. Do you know how many limits could be shot 15 minutes before shooting time? Another idiot road hunter.

And don't bother telling me to call the IDaho poaching line. It is on the speed dial and 90% of the time the phone call doesn't even get answered much less when you do get through to anyone they do anything. These people would have been EASY to catch, one way in, one way out. Just sit on the gate.

Probably the same people that road hunt the river with someone standing in the back of the pickup truck shooting out the back down the slope at coots and anything that flies. And then, to top it off, they send their fat, out of shape, no vest, labrador out to retrieve it in swift water and MINUS 6 degree weather. And then shove it back in the bed of the pickup truck out in the open without a dog box. Maybe the humane society would answer their phone and come out to investigate?

Unbelievable.

Do people think that all the rules are suspended the last week of the season? W T F?
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Re: Shooting up to an HOUR after shooting time.

Postby IdahoDirtFarmer » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:59 am

waveslider wrote:If you are someone that shoots after shooting time and you come back to find 4 flat tires on your rig. You might as well look me up because I'm probably the person that did it. No sense in hiding it, that's just how serious I am about the whole thing.

That's a good start, but maybe the word "POACHER" keyed into the tailgate in large letters as well so you can know who it is in the future.

I live near enough to the the river I hear it almost everyday. Enough to piss off the pope.
IdahoDirtFarmer
hunter

Postby waveslider » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:29 am

IdahoDirtFarmer wrote:

That's a good start, but maybe the word "POACHER" keyed into the tailgate in large letters as well so you can know who it is in the future.

I live near enough to the the river I hear it almost everyday. Enough to piss off the pope.

I like the way you think.
waveslider
hunter

Postby 28duckman » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:49 am

Hey fellas I feel ya on all issues, but we would be the ones to get caught if we did what should be done. Seems like they always get away with it but don't get yourself in trouble because the time ya take into your own hands is when they are just waiting to bust ya. I have seen and heard the same things and just makes us good guys look bad.
28duckman
hunter

Postby Quack'emStack'em » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:44 am

While the flat tires and/or POACHER seem like a good idea and could be construed as justafiable from a hunter perspective, I would be pissed to have it happen to me and would go out of my way to unleash the full extent of the law on the perpetrators. I frequently hike far into the areas that I hunt and it may take me over an hour to pick up my spread and hike out. I often hear after hours shooting happening and say to myself I will wait in the lot until the offenders return to their vehicle or leave a note and report the plate only to find my vehicle the only one there. Point being, you really don't know if the perpetrators are on nearby private land, floating, or hiked in and it would suck to vandalize the property of the innocent. It's a shame that such a lack of ethics exists. As a hunter who takes great pride in sporting in a legal fashion and has tremendous appreciation for the opportunity we have to do so, I feel a sense of responsibility to teach those who fail to understand what is simple to the rest of us.

I recently came upon a guy who was on his way out to hunt about ten minutes after shoot time ended. He claimed to be scouting, but who scouts after hours WITH their shotgun? After watching him point his gun with excitement at just about every bird flying no matter how far out of range, I politely reminded him that he was out long after shoot time and that such action was far from cool and carried stiff penalties. I had him walk back to the lot with me and on the way steered the topic to ethical hunting. Did I stop him from ever doing it again? Who knows, but I did stop it that night and gave him some ideas to digest instead of illegally gotten duck and vandalized property.
Last edited by Quack'emStack'em on Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quack'emStack'em
hunter

Postby Abomb » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:26 pm

Great post Quack.

My vehicle may be the only one at the launch, but there are other hunters around who did not use the launch to access the area, so DO NOT flatten my tires. I also pride myself on ethical hunting, so much so that I do not always shoot at first light since it can be hard to identify birds. My point being that the truck who's tires you flatten my not be the perp.

After hours shooting is lame though.

Last weekend and I am posting on a forum at 10:30am :no: Hunting sun. and mon. so I do have that going for me. :biggrin:
Abomb
hunter

Postby rookie20011 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:26 pm

Ill fix my own post.

How is damaging property any better or make u a better person then these guys?
rookie20011
hunter

Postby Quack'emStack'em » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:49 pm

rookie20011 wrote:Ill fix my own post.

How is damaging property any better or make u a better person then these guys?

It doesn't. Breaking the law to punish law breakers is not the way to make a point. There is a system in place to deal with these people and just like karma, sometimes it just needs a nudge in the right direction.
Quack'emStack'em
hunter

Postby rookie20011 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:59 pm

I understand the frustrations it causes! I know of a group who just pass shoots birds as thy come in to roost n stashes all the hens thy kill just to take pix of 2+ man limits of nothing but drakes! Thr envied by lots because thy fool them into thinking thr some "pro" hunter cuz thy kill hundreds of birds. Really all thr doing is poaching n skybusting thousands of rounds n PRETENDING to be something thr not! :no: what some ppl do for attention!
rookie20011
hunter

Postby waveslider » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:29 pm

To each his own. But in my world, I'm quite content to slash tires and scribble poacher in the back of their tailgate. What the hell happened to personal responsibility? It always makes me laugh when people say "OH that makes us look bad" or "There are systems in place to deal with that..." Exactly, the system of breaking out windows, slashing tires and writing poaching on their truck. Which looks bad, shooting after hours or slashing tires as retribution?

Man, when I screwed up as a kid, there were consequences and calling the cops was the least of your worries. Why is it that when we grow up and become men we decide to sub-contract all the enforcement and justifcation out to other people? Who don't do it very well for that matter.

If I was caught slahing someone's tires becuase they were shooting after hours, I would gladly (and proudly) own up to it and say exactly what it was about.

I'm not advocating running around "guessing" about who's car is who's but if its cut and dried, your stuff is getting ganked. Sorry, I'm not interested in letting the "system" deal with it and I certainly don't think it makes me look the least bit bad. A couple of you sound a little worried, like maybe you've taken a poke or 2 after shooting time. I hope you are. Because after the first couple of episodes of people getting their tires slashed for shooting late, guess what happens- people stop doing it.

So, you guys can hang back and wait for someone to show up and handle it, I'll be the one slashing tires.
Last edited by waveslider on Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
waveslider
hunter

Postby biggmc1986 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:34 pm

Somebody messes with my truck I will mess them up. I was also out and heard plenty of shooting thirty to forty five minutes after hours. I do not agree with you wanting to slash tires and key there pickup bed with "POACHER" wait till they get there and confront them on this situation. also jump shooting ducks from a pickup is not wrong or unlawful. It is unlawful if you are shooting from road ways and or not making a retrieve on the bird you shot. I have a dog and I have shot plenty of birds while driving down a road I get off the road get the dog and make sure I am in a safe shooting zone. Also these guys that are "hiding" there hens and shooting only greenheads is illegal and not right at all. If I find some one or see someone shooting hens and stashing them in the bushes I will turn them in I don't care if its my best friend it is wrong. Who really cares about a perfect limit, any limit is a perfect limit if its legal. I take just as good of care as my dog as I do myself if it is cold outside he gets a vest put on before he heads to the water. I make sure my dog is in good health and can perform at any time that I take him out hunting. Why if you call your self a sportsman would you go slashing and tampering with other vehicles while your out hunting. We have some tough times ahead of us and we all need to stop the crap and stick together before we loose all of our right to hunt waterfowl or any other game we may chase after.
biggmc1986
Newb

Postby Quack'emStack'em » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:47 pm

waveslider wrote:To each his own. But in my world, I'm quite content to slash tires and scribble poacher in the back of their tailgate. What the hell happened to personal responsibility? It always makes me laugh when people say "OH that makes us look bad" or "There are systems in place to deal with that..." Exactly, the system of breaking out windows, slashing tires and writing poaching on their truck. Which looks bad, shooting after hours or slashing tires as retribution?

Man, when I screwed up as a kid, there were consequences and calling the cops was the least of your worries. Why is it that when we grow up and become men we decide to sub-contract all the enforcement and justifcation out other people? Who don't do it very well for that matter.

If I was caught slahing someone's tires becuase they were shooting after hours, I would gladly (and proudly) own up to it and say exactly what it was about.

I'm not advocating running around "guessing" about who's car is who's but if its cut and dried, your stuff is getting ganked. Sorry, I'm not interested in letting the "system" deal with it and I certainly don't think it makes me look the least bit bad. A couple of you sound a little worried, like maybe you've taken a poke or 2 after shooting time. I hope you are. Because after the first couple of episodes of people getting their tires slashed for shooting late, guess what happens- people stop doing it.

So, you guys can hang back and wait for someone to show up and handle it, I'll be the one slashing tires.

So you are the self-appointed judge, jury, and executioner? You ask, "What happened to personal responsibility?" Do you think that it is responsible to advocate unlawful activities (vandalism) on a public forum? Given your post, I'd have to say that your personal responsibility is a bit misdirected. How do you intend to determine what is "cut and dried?'

I think we can all agree that there are problems with some hunters following the rules. That being said, the solution is not otherwise law abiding hunters breaking laws and dispensing vigilante justice. Waveslider, you ask "which looks bad...? BOTH do. You speak of lessons learned as a kid, what ever happened to two wrongs don't make a right?

Rather than dispensing your own brand of justice with a knife and keys, why not take pictures of the offenders in action, take pictures of their vehicle and plates and let Fish and Game deal with it. Part of our license fees go to pay for that. If you really feel so compelled to deal with it yourself, directly confront the offenders instead of pulling some chickensh!t vandalization. And no, I'm not worried because I take "a poke or two after shooting time," because I don't. I'm concerned about vandalism justified as retribution.
Last edited by Quack'emStack'em on Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quack'emStack'em
hunter

Postby dams10ww » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:56 pm

What happened to sportsmanship? I'm tired of everyone fighting/bickering we are all after the same goal to test our abilities and come out with as many birds as possible. When we begin to fight and argue and sabatoge our fellow hunters we are one step closer to losing ourivilages as hunters. Stop and think of your actions before you do something stupid. If it bothers you that much join the fish and game and patrol those areas where you know people are breaking the rules without evidence of wrongdoing its all heresay anyways and if your caught vandalizing someone's truck sure hope your prepared for either a fight or to be looking down the barrel of a gun till the law abiding folks have your keister in the back seat of your local sherries office.
dams10ww
hunter

Postby cutm Jack » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:26 pm

Is this a joke... It's sounds like you people don't care about this idiots breaking the law. I've hunted almost 75 days of waterfowl season for the last 5 years and seen one Game Warden that whole time. You really think they even give two shits about ducks and geese? NO, they only care about busting people poaching elk, deer, and salmon. So if street justice is how things need to play out then so be it. I know a good ass kicking or slashing is gonna weigh on the mind a lot more than a 100$ ticket. :fingerpt: BTW road hunting may not be illegal but anyone that does it is a joke. I could have shot a huge drake pintail off the road today but karma is a bitch. I just don't get it. How can they even be fun or sporting???
cutm Jack
hunter

Postby waveslider » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:46 pm

You guys kill me. Anywhere from 100-300 mallards lost their life in the hour after shooting time and floated down the river. Thousands of ducks were sent packing to Oregon or parts unknown and you want to protect them with "sportsmanship"?

These are not fellow hunters, they are criminals and deserve everything they get, whether it's from someone like me or the law. I don't care which.

And standing in the bed of a pickup truck and shooting ducks from a moving vehicle is not legal. Nor is shooting ducks out of the window of your truck. And putting your dog in the river in -6 degrees is inhumane.

If you want to do it legally, knock yourself out. It's not what blows up my skirt but if it's legal, knock yourself out I guess. That is not at issue here.

This isn't fighting and bickering and the sooner you realize that these are not sportsmen the sooner you will understand that a $100 ticket or <gasp> a stern talking to from a warden because he didn't get there soon enough isn't going to change behavior.

And do I really need to worry about being chicken crap to a bunch of lawbreakers? You mistake me for some who cares.

Maybe I wasn't clear. These people were conducting WAR on roosting mallards for an hour after shooting time.
waveslider
hunter

Postby rookie20011 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:06 pm

You must be dumber then i gave u credit for!!! :lol: Y'all have fun with this looser im out! :help:
rookie20011
hunter

Postby matt58 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:34 am

People play stupid games, and receive stupid prizes
"Charlie don't surf!!!"
matt58
hunter

Postby twsnow18 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:41 pm

cutm Jack wrote:Is this a joke... It's sounds like you people don't care about this idiots breaking the law. I've hunted almost 75 days of waterfowl season for the last 5 years and seen one Game Warden that whole time. You really think they even give two shits about ducks and geese? NO, they only care about busting people poaching elk, deer, and salmon. So if street justice is how things need to play out then so be it. I know a good ass kicking or slashing is gonna weigh on the mind a lot more than a 100$ ticket. :fingerpt: BTW road hunting may not be illegal but anyone that does it is a joke. I could have shot a huge drake pintail off the road today but karma is a bitch. I just don't get it. How can they even be fun or sporting???

+1

I agree with cutm jack
How to start an argument online:

1. State an opinion.
2. Then wait.
twsnow18
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:01 pm

100-300 ducks killed in an hour?????? How would you know that? Maybe they were real crappy shots and didnt get any
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby waveslider » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:14 pm

How many can you kill in an hour of non stop shooting? Take that and multiply it by approx. 4 and there's your number. If you sit and think about it, its really not that big of a number. I can shoot 200+ in an hour or so, so multiple people can do some serious damage. And I know that the population density was sufficient for that kind of slaughter, there are others on the forum familiar with the spot and can attest..
waveslider
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:12 am

You can shoot 200 in an hour??? How would you know this?? Besides your dreamin. If you shoot one every 30 seconds and never miss thats only 120. Figure in reloading time ect and your nowhere close to 200 let alone 120. Unless they each packed in a case of ammo they didnt shoot anywhere near as much as you think. To sustain that level of shooting (i.e non stop) for a solid hour (using your math) would have required a HUGE number of shells. Your using fuzzy math and assuming they shot loads of birds when in reality they could have been trap shooting. Where they? who knows. At the very least, by the number of shots they took they were crappy shots.

How do you know there were 4 guys shooting?
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby waveslider » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:20 am

Phutch,

Trapshooting? Really? Oh yeah, my mistake. I just posted all of this because I caught someone trapshooting and mistook them for hunters. My bad. What was I thinking.... Are you kidding me. Yeah, they set up a GD matarelli in the middle of the river and decided to bust out a game of annie oakley after shooting time. Give me a friggin break

Do you really want to debate how many birds can be shot in an hour? I can play that game , but you aren't going to like the results. It is a matter of density and this particular place had it. If it was 100 and not 300 should I feel better about the situation?
waveslider
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:47 am

My point is you have zero information thats factual other than you heard a bunch of shooting. Yet as you continue on you claim to know alot. Why not get information and report them. Im sure fish and game would love information on 4 people whot shot hundreds of ducks in an hour. Sorry If that had been me I would have gone down and found out who they were or at the least found where they were parked and got plate numbers.

I dont think for a min they were trap shooting. BUT since you didnt go see, we actually dont know.

As far as how many ducks were or wernt shot thats up for debate. I buy my shells by the case every year. I know almost to the shell how many Ive used. Ive averaged over the last 10 years 1.4-1.7 shells per duck per year. I shoot on a trap league every year. I consider myself a much better than average shot. I would be hard pressed to shoot the number of ducks you claim in the allotted time. Forget about the number of shells required to shoot multi hundred ducks, in an hour as its getting dark, there isnt enough time. Several people shooting a couple boxes of shells each can sound like a war. The last two post were just for my entertainment. I could care less how many you or I THINK we could shoot in an hour. It was never the actual point.

The fact that they were after legal is despicable. Ive turned in many people over the years no matter if it messed up my hunt or made me late getting home. Why didnt you???

I find the fact that you are so pissed over this and yet did nothing sad. If you were close enough to hear all this shooting and could tell how many were taking part then you were close enough to go find them or call someone. Why dont you have the wardens # in your phone? personally I think everyone should. But at a min you should have had the regs with you, which would have provided numbers to call. Coming on this forum to bitch about what happened while doing nothing about it other than rant about messing up peoples rigs is a joke. If you know who's rig it is, then you know whos doing it. A plate and detailed location and a phone call are a real good start. Not reporting it is just lazy. I have NEVER met a warden who wouldnt take info. They live for this stuff. Sure, not all info pans out, but thats almost always a result of the quality of the info provided. Calling in something like you reported would for sure have gotten thier attention. Should have been easy to find clues at the location where this crime took place.

If you dont report these things you got no grounds to bitch about them. pissing an moaning does nothing. Get involved! :beer:
phutch30
hunter

Postby znewc14 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:55 am

I know its not really my place but

https://fishandgame.idaho.gov/feedback/ ... ?getForm=3

You can still put in a report....anything helps
znewc14
hunter

Postby waveslider » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:17 pm

I guess you flunked the critical reading skills test. I have the Idaho Poaching Line on speed dial, I have the wardens number on speed dial.

The Idaho poaching line doesn't even pick up the call most of the time and this night was no exception. The warden didn't get my message until the next day.

The reason I was so pissed is equal part that it was happening at all and equal part that it I was powerless to do anything about it from a geographic perspective. I know exactly where they were, I know exactly how many there were and I know exactly where they were parked but I'm not swimming across one of the largest rivers in North America in minus temps. One way in, one way out. Despite my desire, breaking out the 22-250 wasn't an option either.

So take your attitude, your poor reading and math ability and your better than average shooting skills and go back to Montana.

Getting involved is exactly what my post was about. Perhaps not in the manner you suggest.
waveslider
hunter

Next

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting