Boise dwellers, I need some help...

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

Boise dwellers, I need some help...

Postby matt58 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:12 pm

I am trying to decide if the area of the Boise River, south of HWY 21, between that bridge and the diversion dam is good to go for duck hunting. I have a call in to F & G but have not heard back from them. That area down there has a sign, with a satellite map, outlining the area closed for conservation. There is an island that is not in the conservation area boundaries I was thinking about hunting. I walked out to it today, and saw plenty of hunting sign, such as bloody snow, a blind, and empty shells.

I want to get out one last time this year with my 5 year old boy and this is super close to my house.

Anybody have any insight?

Thanks!
"Charlie don't surf!!!"
matt58
hunter

Re: Boise dwellers, I need some help...

Postby swanpig » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:44 pm

I don't mean to be _ick. I understand your wanting to take your young son out hunting for an easy hunt at the end of the year. But you are questioning the legitness of a hunting spot that close to the greenbelt and that close to highway 21? Yeah, it is probably legal. Yep it certainly is easy. Sure, some other people do it. But is it right and is it what we want the community to think we as duck hunters are willing to do to get some shooting in? I know exactly where you are talking about and it is NOT safe. In my opinion it is definetly not safe to boat your 5 year old in single digits in a dingy across the river in January.
Gettin er done, one duck at a time!
swanpig
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:42 pm

I believe the area upstream from Barber Park is posted as a private wildlife sanctuary that holds quite a few deer and some elk, along with waterfowl. No one is supposed to go in there and disturb the wild game ... especially during this stretch of unusually cold weather and ice storms that is stressing the animals enough already.

Here's a snippet describing the area. Let your conscience be your guide... "The Barber Pool Conservation Area provides hundreds of acres of protected wildlife habitat just six miles from downtown Boise." Doesn't sound like a legal place to hunt does it?

I get that you want to take your son out, but suggest you look elsewhere lest you give your son a lesson in receiving a ticket for trespass and illegally hunting in a refuge. It's tough to find a spot now that all the ponds are frozen, but if you're willing to walk a bit you might try hunting the Bruneau River channels above CJ Strike reservoir. Follow the Sprotsman's access signs Bruneau (by the One Stop) to the parking area south of CJ Strike WMA. Follow the road/trail from the parking lot to the first river channel you cross and then follow the river toward the reservoir until you reach ice. You'll only need 6 to 12 dekes. Check Google Earth.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby fulldraw » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:01 pm

Almost positive that area is not legal to hunt...some do it but I wouldn't risk it.
fulldraw
Newb

Postby matt58 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:28 am

I appreciate everyones feedback on the area in question. In order to clarify to situation, I contacted Fish and Game and had a conservation officer meet me at the area in question and he was able to school me up on the legality of hunting this area. If you are interested in knowing, PM me and I will shoot you the details.

I had already passed at any chance of hunting this area, as I had not heard back from Fish and Game and made plans for my son and I to hunt elsewhere, but yesterday's ice storm put those plans to bed.
"Charlie don't surf!!!"
matt58
hunter

Postby matt58 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:44 am

Also, for clarification, I don't any of you to be under the impression I am some shit-bag, looking for an easy place ot hunt, without putting in the work to find the birds. I hunt birds as often as I can (without pissing off the wife-unit) and double my yearly gas intake during duck season in search of new places to hunt. I have always wondered about the area on the Boise River I am questioning about. I have hunted everything (quail, duck, bunnies, deer, chukar, etc..) south of the diversion dam, south of the canal that comes from the Lucky Peak Dam. While reading the regs the other day, it states hunting is not permitted in the ares contained by Boise City limits and the area contained by HWY 21 and Warm Springs Ave. Later that day, I drove on HWY 21, on the bridge, and over the river and looked down (remembering what I read) and wondered. That's what made me want to post my original post.
"Charlie don't surf!!!"
matt58
hunter

Postby waveslider » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:00 am

matt58 wrote:I appreciate everyones feedback on the area in question. In order to clarify to situation, I contacted Fish and Game and had a conservation officer meet me at the area in question and he was able to school me up on the legality of hunting this area. If you are interested in knowing, PM me and I will shoot you the details.

I had already passed at any chance of hunting this area, as I had not heard back from Fish and Game and made plans for my son and I to hunt elsewhere, but yesterday's ice storm put those plans to bed.

Just so I get this right.... you come on a public forum asking for public responses to the legality or advisability of hunting a specific area. (A forum you joined 3 days ago)

You then don't take the advice offered by people who are familiar with the spot (I am not one of them) and you contact the local DFG Rep for clarification (good on you)

But then you refrain from posting the results of your questions on the public forum and look for PMs like you've now found some treasure trove of useful information that apparently you felt it was totally appropriate for someone ELSE to post on the public forum but now that you have the info its a private, privileged deal?

Nice.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby matt58 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:43 am

All good points and I can see how this comes across. For clarification, it seems that this spot in question, is very questionable by lots of people whether it can be hunted or not, and if it could be hunted, would you hunt it? I did take the advice of the others that posted in this forum. But, IF I was going to hunt it, I didn't want to go on what someone posted in a public hunting forum. So, I contacted fish and game. The spot in question is south of HWY 21, north of the Diversion Dam on the Boise River. The land is owned by the Idaho Transportaion Department and managed by Boise State Univesity. While it is a conservation area, hunting IS permitted on this land and the river, and the island there as well. The Conservation Officer I spoke with, had nothing he had access to, that would tell him otherwise. He was the Conservation Officer for our area, and according to him, had never been called down to that area of the river for illegal hunting activity. Not only did he tell me it WAS legal to hunt, he actually encouraged me to try it out.

I am in total agreeance with some other members here, that due to its location (close to homes, Greenbelt, HWY, etc...) that it would not look good for us hunters to be hunting there, even if it was legal (which it is). Even with his blessing, I made the decision not to hunt that area, and never will. I went the PM route to inform people that wanted know, not to keep some Honey Hole sacred to me. I also feel this area should not be hunted due to the bad reputation we can get by hunting so close to everything, so that was another motive for me to go the PM route.

Youre also right in stating I joined 3 days ago. I came to this forum to read, learn, and ask questions, as I love to hunt birds. I had a question that I thought, one of you would have an answer to. Mostly everyone stated it was closed and could not be hunted. But, like I said, did not want to go off someones word of a public forum, so I contacted the people in charge and found out the right, informed answer.
"Charlie don't surf!!!"
matt58
hunter

Postby thebigh20 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:17 pm

waveslider wrote:
matt58 wrote:I appreciate everyones feedback on the area in question. In order to clarify to situation, I contacted Fish and Game and had a conservation officer meet me at the area in question and he was able to school me up on the legality of hunting this area. If you are interested in knowing, PM me and I will shoot you the details.

Just so I get this right.... you come on a public forum asking for public responses to the legality or advisability of hunting a specific area. (A forum you joined 3 days ago)

You then don't take the advice offered by people who are familiar with the spot (I am not one of them) and you contact the local DFG Rep for clarification (good on you)

But then you refrain from posting the results of your questions on the public forum and look for PMs like you've now found some treasure trove of useful information that apparently you felt it was totally appropriate for someone ELSE to post on the public forum but now that you have the info its a private, privileged deal?

Nice.

Waveslider read the original post. He was awaiting a response from F&G, but had not heard back from them, probably why he was posted his question here. And it sure looks like he took the advice offered on this public forum.
thebigh20
hunter

Postby swanpig » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:56 pm

Great follow up posts Matt.
Gettin er done, one duck at a time!
swanpig
hunter

Postby gillnetter_007 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:09 am

Any more flak on this issue and I'll begin to think folks are trying to shy everyone away from their sweet spot.
gillnetter_007
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting