End of Season

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, casey_714, jjohnson_714

End of Season

Postby Duckhunter6989 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:35 pm

How did everyone's last hunts of the season go? Mine went pretty poorly, I got skunked. i wish there were a few more days though cause I found the "X" for geese...just a day too late. All in all a great season and already looking forward to next.
Duckhunter6989
hunter

Re: End of Season

Postby gillnetter_007 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:53 pm

I too had high expectations today with a mallard limit in my new spot today. The birds were here Wednesday but gone today. In the end, getting one drake wood duck was a nice first to complete the season.
gillnetter_007
hunter

Postby Quack'emStack'em » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:11 pm

Skunked! Had a great limit on Wednesday of 6 greenheads and a pintail drake. Should've quit on a high note, but then I would have been wondering what could have been until October.
Quack'emStack'em
hunter

Postby rweb » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:41 pm

got 3 drakes and a hen on the south fork today. this morning it sounded like a war zone out there. either someone had like 12 guys in their hunting party or they had like 4 guys that didn't have their plugs in because the amount of shooting they did as they jumped their first bunch of ducks was unreal. i have never heard solid gunfire for 10-15 seconds without letting up. all in all though great day to be out. weather was good. company was good. ducks didn't decoy great but that is to be expected with the shooting madness. had a lone goose land in the decoys 5 minutes after shooting hours ended so he survives another year. now 8 months of famine.
rweb
hunter

Postby rikasam2013 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:15 pm

Good day, 1 wigeon, 3 goldys, 1ringer, 1 mallard. I dressed like I had been and roasted. 40 degree difference from last weekend.
rikasam2013
hunter

Postby Cafowler » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:27 am

Shot tues-thurs.... 3 man limits in 1 1/2 all three days.... The last hunt was the most amazing the sun came out and we didn't shoot at a group less then 50 strong!!! What a place!!! See you guys next year.... Hope I can get on a hunt with a couple of you:-)
Somewhere a small town has awoken, only to find the village idiot has left and taken his shotgun....
Cafowler
hunter

Postby waveslider » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:23 pm

Our team found the x one last time on the last day....mystery on who shot the one hen on the pile....who could that be?
Attachments
endofseason2013small.jpg
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby cutm Jack » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:11 pm

Geez that's the million dollar question.... I have one guess
cutm Jack
hunter

Postby waveslider » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:27 pm

I did some minor photoshop editing just for the sense of occasion....
Attachments
endofseason2013smalljack.jpg
waveslider
hunter

Postby cutm Jack » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:11 pm

Thanks waveslider; I'm pretty sure everyone was stumped on who smacked Susie Q. What can I say i'm a lady killer always will be...
cutm Jack
hunter

Postby Idaho Mike » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:43 am

Cafowler wrote:Shot tues-thurs.... 3 man limits in 1 1/2 all three days.... The last hunt was the most amazing the sun came out and we didn't shoot at a group less then 50 strong!!! What a place!!! See you guys next year.... Hope I can get on a hunt with a couple of you:-)

Hope I can get invited on a hunt with you someday! :yes:

By the way, what private hunting club/Preserve were you hunting those 3 days in Hagerman? :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
Idaho Mike
hunter

Postby waveslider » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:13 pm

Didn't quite know what to do with myself today. So we did this....
Attachments
jacks.jpg
waveslider
hunter

Postby rikasam2013 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:45 pm

Went to cj strike today to ice fish, big perch. Thousands of ducks and geese around the open holes in the middle.
Attachments
wide strike main.jpg
rikasam2013
hunter

Postby hnt&fsh » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:35 pm

Overall ended up hunting 8 out of the last 10 days of the season. Hunted four days, the 16th thru 19th, with my Dad (75 yrs. old) and a good buddy I grew up with during the wicked cold temps. The hunting was awesome! Almost 3 man limits all four days with a mixed bag. Out of all of the ducks shot there were only 4 hens shot, 1 pintail and 3 mallards, the balance were mallard drakes and pintail drakes. They decoyed up awesome! I should say that there was also a fair amount of missing that took place and we had multiple boat issues with the cold temps. Also hunted the 22nd thru the 25th with my Dad and another buddy. Not quite as good but the temps. certainly made it more pleasant. Still ended up shooting our fair share each day. We ended the season with a Green Head decoyed up on our spread, feet down and wings cupped! Can't wait till next year! I have 8 plus months to get the boat and motor back into tip top shape (as if that ever happens). The cold temps. caused some wear and tear on certain components.

Good Luck to All and have a safe year until next October! :beer:
hnt&fsh
hunter

Postby mojocoot » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:36 pm

Ended up with 7 mallards and a goose. Not a bad way to finish it.

On a sour note, the goose was a mercy kill as it was a cripple that someone else didn't recover. Also had the dog pull 4 birds out of the river that were floating down dead. Recovered more people's cripples in one day than I had all season. Of the 4 pulled out of the river, only 1 had any meat removed (a drake mallard), the other three were completely whole, although one hen did have her neck wrung. Not sure if they were fresh kills or if maybe a couple days old and left on an ice shelf that decided to thaw that day. Didn't keep them since no way of knowing how long ago they were killed. Either way there must have been a couple of prime douche bags hunting between Notus and Parma not too long ago that decided this was how they wanted to end their season. Never a warden around when you need one.

Aside from that though it was a great season and a great ending. The past 3 weeks were the best of the season for us.
mojocoot
hunter

Postby waveslider » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:48 pm

Only 4? Wow that sucks but is nothing compared to what we saw this year. Over the course of the year we picked up (and kept) over 25 birds that were left to float down the river and over the course of the season threw back at least 30-40 more birds that were dead either floating down or in the tules. We usually check the dead one's floating in the tules to see if any are banded.

Ever since last year, I have started to retrieve that birds floating down the river and I will peel the breast and feel it with my bare hand. If its warm and looks otherwise OK, I add it to the pile and make it part of my limit. If its stiff and cold, it gets thrown to shore for the coyotes. I will keep the other birds off to the side and if there is anything odd about them when I clean them, adios.

Sad but true....
waveslider
hunter

Postby mojocoot » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:50 pm

Yeah sounds like you find a ton of them. I would definitely expect to see more on the snake just because of the increased difficulty of the retrieves in many places on that river. I thought 4 in one afternoon was a bit high for the Boise. There are not too many sections on the Boise that I consider birds to be unrecoverable, especially with a half way decent dog. In the area that we found these birds there are a TON of places I can wade the entire river, so I highly doubt that a legit effort was given. And the fact that the hen had her neck wrung means that someone retreived her and finished her off and then threw her in the river, probably so they could shoot a greenhead for their "perfect" picture.

I know everyone loses a bird once and a while, but we were only there for 2 hours and had 4 birds float past. I'm thinking they were intentionally killing and discarding so they could shoot more. Could be wrong, but I doubt it.

It's a shame when it happens for any reason. It's disgraceful when it happens intentionally.
mojocoot
hunter

Postby paco76 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:06 pm

rikasam2013 wrote:Went to cj strike today to ice fish, big perch. Thousands of ducks and geese around the open holes in the middle.

Thanks for the picture. For as long as I remember...after the last minutes of shooting time is up and decoys are collected---I spend a couple of minutes enjoying the scenery that has brought me so much joy each season. This picture reminds me of many of those times.
paco76
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting