Looking for an Idaho duck/goose guide

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

Looking for an Idaho duck/goose guide

Postby 0321Tony » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:13 pm

Hey guys I am hailing from the great white north in the far off country of Alaska. My wife has family in Idaho around the Boise area and as we occasionally make the trip down to visit I always try and hunt wherever we go if I can get the chance. I am looking for a duck/goose guide around the Boise area or within a few hours drive from there.
If anyone has a good guide they would recommend and a time of year that is best for that area I would be greatful. Also if anyone is willing to do a trade for a hunt we have some great sea duck hunting here. I have all the equipment for that, all but a dog that is. We get a lot of harlequin, all three scooters, goldeneye, buffle head etc... and late in the season we see a few old squaw. Anyways if anyone has a good lead on a guide I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Tony

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
0321Tony
hunter

Re: Looking for an Idaho duck/goose guide

Postby InTheDecoys » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:38 pm

:fingerpt: Guiding (for waterfowl) is illegal in Idaho. I might have to take you up on your offer for some Harli action though! :beer:
InTheDecoys.... Take em
InTheDecoys
hunter

Postby 0321Tony » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:38 pm

Oh ok well that's new to me. So now I will have to change my request to looking for someone to take me hunting in Idaho

Inthedecoys harlies are really easy here if you want one come on up we have lots. They are a beautiful bird.

0321Tony
hunter

Postby rikasam2013 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:58 am

There actually are a few old grandfathered in guides in eastern idaho. BUT by the time next season rolls around guiding might be legal statewide. There is pending legislation....we will know by this summer I think. Personally leave things as they are.
rikasam2013
hunter

Postby cfp4sfc » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:42 am

I moving up to Anchorage in May, will be back down here in December and January- could be interested in a hunting partner/ swap hunts kind of arangement. I don't have any kind of leg up here, just public access, but we get some good hunts in. Would love to shoot a harlie or even better get some hints about the hunting there.
cfp4sfc
hunter

Postby 0321Tony » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:06 am

cfp4sfc wrote:I moving up to Anchorage in May, will be back down here in December and January- could be interested in a hunting partner/ swap hunts kind of arangement. I don't have any kind of leg up here, just public access, but we get some good hunts in. Would love to shoot a harlie or even better get some hints about the hunting there.

Get ahold of me when you come up and I might be able to point you in the right direction. There is some good duck hunting around Anchorage and the season opens Sept 1st. The birds are in their eclipse plumage so they are not very good to look at but still fun to shoot. I start hunting sea ducks around October after the freeze up and the puddlers head south. Harlequin are easy to get. I am usually looking for someone to hunt with I do a lot on my own because none of my hunting buddy's hunt like I do.
If you have not already check out "Alaska outdoor directory forum" there is a lot of good info on hunting alaska there.

0321Tony
hunter

Postby cfp4sfc » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:54 am

I'll shoot you a PM once I get up there and get settled some. Should work out were I can take you out if your down here later in the year, too.
I had found the AOD Forum and just got signed up- there's a ton of info there, and looks like it might be a good way to meet some nice, helpful people.
cfp4sfc
hunter

Postby 0321Tony » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:42 am

I have the same name on AOD as well. I know you won't be a resident but there is some good black bear hunting all over the peninsula and around Anchorage too.

0321Tony
hunter

Postby goosepond » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:12 am

rikasam2013 wrote:There actually are a few old grandfathered in guides in eastern idaho. BUT by the time next season rolls around guiding might be legal statewide. There is pending legislation....we will know by this summer I think. Personally leave things as they are.

Actually it is not totally a true statement. There is no current pending legislation and wont be until the 2014 legislative session. The OGLB is just now taking comments and holding public hearings on the matter. There is still a lot of push not to allow it other than the 4 grandfathered in East Idaho.

Here are a few links on the matter:

https://www.facebook.com/IdahoWaterfowl

http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/show ... p?t=926082

http://oglb.idaho.gov/rules/promulgations.html

http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/5620

http://www.idahowaterfowl.org/forums/in ... ?board=2.0
goosepond
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting