Hunting the Owyhee River

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, casey_714, jjohnson_714

Hunting the Owyhee River

Postby idaho slim » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:35 pm

This is my first post, but I have been frequenting the forum from time to time this season. The pics and stories were always fun to read when I couldn't get out.

I was fishing the Owyhee the other day and on my way in I noticed a few coots in a small canal. As I kept driving I saw a couple groups of mallards mulling about in several more small sloughs and canals. On the actual Owyhee (in Oregon) I noticed all sorts of ducks; mallards, buffleheads, and wigeons from what I could identify driving 30 down the winding road. It looked like it could be a fun spot to do a little fall/winter cast and blast. I realize this would require an Oregon license, anyone think it'd be worth it?

Thanks! :smile:
idaho slim
hunter

Re: Hunting the Owyhee River

Postby waveslider » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:45 am

Unless the rules have recently changed, I know there are several people that hunt the river there and it is one of the few places where you can shoot a duck, catch a 20" brown trout and shoot a Chukar all in the same day or hour even from the same parking spot.

A word of caution. As you realize, the river is fished all year and even in the bitter cold so safety is a real concern. I just about pooped my pants once when someone snuck down the roadbank and jump shot a duck very close upriver from me. I'm quite certain they didn't know I was there since I was standing in the willows and it scared the crap out of me and I'm very used to gunfire. Most people jump shoot the ducks so they are extremely skittish from the road hunters. After the first couple of times getting shot at, the ducks pretty much bail out of there but you can, in fact, shoot a couple if you work at it.

The Oregon Highway Police patrol that area heavily particularly looking for people shooting lead at ducks while they are "chukar hunting" so make sure you are following all the rules.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby Duck-slayer » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:24 am

That's funny.... I went too the most heavily hunted area around Marsing and there are thousands of ducks right now, but during the season there ain't crap.... So my point is, don't do your scouting this time of year... I doubt there is that many ducks during the season, but there are a few ducks that are closer too the confluence and ft. Boise,
Matt
Duck-slayer
hunter

Postby waveslider » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:18 pm

Ducks are already on the way back north. Migrating again.... If you like to take pictures of ducks and geese, now is the time as you can't hardly find a water puddle that doesn't have thousands of ducks on it right now.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby idaho slim » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:39 am

Duck-slayer,

I realize that heavily pressured areas will see a lot more ducks in the off season than during the hunting season. I've seen that one happen quite a bit. "Where are all these ducks during the season?" a question I find myself asking all the time. That was another reason why I asked about the Owyhee. I usually only fish out there in the summer, and didn't hit it at all during duck season. I find that I'll see ducks in places after the season where I didn't see them before the opener (March vs. September). All in all I'm not sure it's worth the Oregon license to go jump-shoot a few before a fishing trip.

Thanks for the input.
idaho slim
hunter

Postby Duck-slayer » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:17 am

all the ducks during the season are sitting on Owhyee's Res, Lake Lowell, Ft. Boise, Obendorf's Pond, Between those 4 that's almost all the ducks in SW Idaho right there... and some just migrate through coming back, like the "snow geese" we don't get that many during the regular season, we see them come through quite a bit in the spring though... just there migration pattern, they probably go down either east or west of us than come back up through CJ and the Treasure Valley... but that's just a guess...
Matt
Duck-slayer
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting