Wood Duck nesting boxes

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

Wood Duck nesting boxes

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:37 am

The Wood Ducks have returned to the Snake river in E Idaho, and they have 25 new homes already installed by the committee members of the new chapter of Ducks Unlimited in Blackfoot, and 25 that are currently being installed by the Eagle Rock chapter in the Idaho Falls area.
These fifty nest boxes are scattered between the McTucker/Springfield area up the Blackfoot river, thru the Firth area to points North of Idaho falls. Three are going in on the South Fork.
If I have my way, another hundred will be installed later this year for the next nesting season.

This program may take several years before the boxes are discovered by the hens, and put to use, but even fifty boxes make an impact!

When installed properly we eventually expect similar results to that achieved in the following link from Holt lake.
http://woodiecam1.com/2012/07/17/2012-e ... st-report/
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Re: Wood Duck nesting boxes

Postby rookie20011 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:13 pm

Very cool!!!! Nice to see a ducks unlimited chapter putting back instead of just taking!!!! Awesome work guys!!!
rookie20011
hunter

Postby RedLegsId » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:34 pm

My son made 20 for the IF&G as his Eagle Scout project this year. We put a few up along the Snake where we hunt in western Idaho. We have plenty of wood ducks along the river and I think they are using the houses already. We see more and more woodies each year around the area we hunt.
RedLegsId
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:28 pm

RedLegsId wrote:My son made 20 for the IF&G as his Eagle Scout project this year. We put a few up along the Snake where we hunt in western Idaho. We have plenty of wood ducks along the river and I think they are using the houses already. We see more and more woodies each year around the area we hunt.

If you look at maps of Wood Duck distribution in North America you'll see western Idaho shaded in as have a fairly good population, but most maps show nothing for eastern Idaho.
We're looking to change that.

Glad your son made the boxes. It is my long range goal to include the scouts in this program as well, once it grows a little larger.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sat May 18, 2013 11:23 am

Well,
The Boy Scouts are now included in the Wood Duck nesting box program as I have just cut out an additional 24 boxes, and in about an hour, I'm hauling the whole load of them to Springfield, Id for a scout troup to assemble.
No posts or guards for them to mount them on just yet, but I plan to assist them in acquiring those over the next few weeks.
We are looking to get many more into the hands of other DU chapters this summer, and hope to see them all installed before the faLL bird seasons begin.
Hey! I like to hunt too ya know, not just spend every day cutting out nest boxes. (Although another 75-100 isn't out of the question)
It's all about the ducks.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:30 pm

First success!
Hen in nest box on her eggs.

An even dozen future wood ducks!

Edit: Even more reports of success coming in as other boxes are being checked.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby IdahoSkies » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:46 pm

Awesome. There is really nothing better than that, (except my kids in the blind, but that's about the same). Good job.
IdahoSkies
hunter

Postby waveslider » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:37 am

We have 3 here on the property. 2 are boxes we put up and the birds found them right away. The other is a perfect tree with a hole in it and this pair is clearly re-nesting from a failed first attempt. Unusual given how close together all the nests are.

With the raccoon and skunk populations managed, these little guys prosper (as well as mallards and other ground nesters).

Nice Work
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:49 pm

I don't know how you guys are doing with a very large problem we are dealing with here, but we have a 50%+ take-over by Starlings.
Nasty, filthy things they are.
I'm thinking of putting a bit of screen over the hole on the boxes until most of the Starlings have committed to nesting elsewhere for the season, and then since all of the boxes must be refreshed with new chips for bedding each spring, we'll open up the holes at that time.
May be a short window of opportunity between the Starlings, and the Wood Duck usage, but something has to be done.

Anybody have any suggestions?
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby waveslider » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:22 am

FS,

The three that we have here on the property are close enough to monitor and ensure the starlings don't use it. We did have starlings set up in our flicker house which was a bummer. We took care of the starlings, but it was too late to entice the Flickers.

The other 10-12 that we monitor along the river and set up we just can't check that often so we hope for the best and then check after hatching. We have some re-nesters on our place so that's going to be a while.

About the only way to truly prevent it is to do what you guys are doing and go check them at opportune times and if a starling has set up shop, pull it out and re-install the wood chips.

Some places recommend offering a more attractive starling house right next to the wood duck box but I can't stomach that since I just don't want to make it easier for the starlings in any way.

Although this is purely my assesment (and not grounded in fact or true research)it seems the closer to water the boxes are, the less likely they are to get taken over by starlings. Just an observation.

Next year I am DEFINITELY going to wait for a sale on trail cameras and set up a few to watch the fun.
waveslider
hunter

Postby waveslider » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:27 am

As a side note: FS and Redlegs. If you guys can get your local troops to make more Wood Duck Boxes (and maybe even some mallard tubes),for next year, we are game for helping set them out and monitoring them.

We are in a unique situation that makes access easy so-to-speak so I am happy to devote the boat time if someone else builds the things. I'm a left-handed retarded carpenter. SW Idaho, PM me for the specific area.
waveslider
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:14 am

Thanks for the offer Waveslider, but I'm in Blackfoot, in E Idaho.
My former co-chair in our Chapter of DU here just bought a boat with a mud motor and turned into an instant river rat. Spends hours in it now, and has been a big part of what's being done with the boxes from the very start.
The pictures posted here of the hen and eggs were taken by him.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting