Were to Hunt around Lewiston? Just moved here from Arkansas.

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, casey_714, jjohnson_714

Were to Hunt around Lewiston? Just moved here from Arkansas.

Postby ArkansasDuckHunter » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:07 pm

I just moved to Lewiston from Arkansas. But I know nothing about hunting duck in this area. If anyone could tell me areas to scout places to look anything to get me started any help possible. If anyone could help me I would really appreciate it! THANKS!!
ArkansasDuckHunter
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:08 pm

hey :welcome: to idaho!... not sure about anything around lewiston because i cant say that ive ever really hung out down there... except the smell there does take some getting used to...
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby ArkansasDuckHunter » Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:08 pm

Thanks for the welcome!! Ya the smell takes a little getting used to!!
ArkansasDuckHunter
hunter

Postby ArkansasDuckHunter » Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:10 pm

Really any where around the north to cental Idaho area I would travel for some hunting. I just need some places to start.
ArkansasDuckHunter
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:50 pm

I don't know the area. My suggestion, get a gazeteer, get in your truck and drive. Find places, scout, scout, scout and scout.

Not many people in this area are gonna be willing to help much, as you can see. The reason: every week someone comes on and asks the same thing "I just moved here...where do i go." Truth is people are sick of helping newcomers because so many people are moving here the residents are losing their spots,ect. Not trying to be mean, just filling you in on the way it is.

but Welcome and I hope you find some birds:salude:
wingnutty
hunter

Postby ArkansasDuckHunter » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:48 am

Thanks for that info! Ya I really didn't expect anyone to tell me exactly were to go, just like a refuge to do to or something! I understand that you dont want to lose ur spot I would feel the same way. We used to hate people from out of state back home, but it just forced us to get up a little earlier! What kind of landscape do you hunt here? We used to hunt flooded timber and rice fields, not much of that here.... What do I look for small ponds etc.?
ArkansasDuckHunter
hunter

Postby Idaho Duck Dog » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:35 am

The hunting is very different than the way you are used to hunting. I came to Idaho from Texas where flooded timber on the Red River or in East Texas was the norm. 3 buddies in the blind, 1 dog and blast everything in the flock. It was not uncommon to have 5 to 6 ducks in the water at a time. Not so in Idaho.

It is more like the rice fields than the timber here in the southern part of the state. In fact, since I have taken up goose hunting, I have seen more ducks feeding in the fields that on the river.

River hunting or Marsh hunting seems to be the norm for ducks over water. Marsh hunting on the lakes is just like you have been told, Scout, Scout, Scout. A Boat is needed to get to the best spots. Set up a boat blind or blind on the bank. Good camo and spred to get them in. Calling well helps but is not as important as it was in AR.

The Snake and Boise Rivers are what is hunted most down here for the river hunting. Canoes or paddle boats are needed on the Boise. Power boats are used on the snake or we walk in where we can get access. A retreiver is needed on the river due to the fast water. Caution, this is definetly not the place to kill 3 ducks at a time with a fast river and 1 retreiver. Shoot a duck maybe two and recover them all. Ducks floating down the river unrecovered make us all look bad.

Small lakes and ponds may be the best bet to develop a new spot. The weather gets cold up north quick so hunt and find these spots quick and move to the rivers for later season. Again take up goose hunting, you just might find more ducks and geese to boot.

Welcome to Idaho.
It was the Army that taught me how to shoot, and it was my Grandfather that taught me how to hunt, but it is my heart that teaches me that there is a difference. Pass it on.
Idaho Duck Dog
Newb

Postby HaydenHunter » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:31 pm

Arkansas:

Do you have a boat?
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby ArkansasDuckHunter » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:08 pm

No not at the time, I had a great duck hunting boat before I left and I sold it for cheap because I didn't think that I would have any room for it. Also I didn't think there would be any use for it but if I find out that its a must have I can get another one. As for a retriever, I couldn't get rid of him! Thanks for all the feed back guys! :thumbsup:
ArkansasDuckHunter
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:40 am

Can't help at all with info about the area around Lewiston, but I shot you a pm.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting