Countdown

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, casey_714, jjohnson_714

Countdown

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:08 pm

Just a good time to start the countdown.
Father's Day is just two days behind us, and I'm afraid I can't stand it any longer. I've got to start venting my impatience waiting for the duck season.
I know the very worst of this season's hot weather is still ahead of us, and I hate the heat, but I choose to keep my eye on what lies beyond it! Autumn!
Hey! Only six more weeks and the Big Desert general Elk season will begin here in E. Idaho. Not that I can imagine hunting big game in 90*+ temps (There is something to be said for the aesthetics of the true hunting seasons. Ya know?), but it surely is a sign of what is to follow!
So is pre-season NFL football that kicks off the first week of August. It's football for crying out loud, and that always heralds a coming change!
By the middle of the month here in E. Idaho, it still gets hot during the day, but it usually takes all day long to get there, and the evenings cool off soon enough to sleep well at night. On the average year we begin to get the occasional Monsoonal rains that come just often enough to clear and cool the air, breaking up the seemingly endless stretches of unbroken 90*+ days we see in July.
Now, if only we can hold out 'til August.....we'll have more good things to talk about then.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Re: Countdown

Postby whiskerbiscuit » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:23 am

Amen!
whiskerbiscuit
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:33 am

I live very near a major Canada goose roost along the Snake river.
Every year about this time the family groups of geese congregate at this roost, and remain there more or less thru the fall and winter season. This year, things are a bit ahead of schedule.
'The Gathering' has started in earnest again.
Jan my wife, the son, and his girlfriend, and I were on the back patio when it started last night.
Wave after wave, hundreds and hundreds of Canada geese began sweeping over the house headed to a nearby grainfield where I'll be hunting in 7 or 8 weeks. They must have cut it this weekend, and the birds were right on it.

The air was full of their cries as they passed over our heads, and we just stopped our conversations and enjoyed the spectacle. They were so low, there was little else we could do.

The countdown continues.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Snoflk » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:11 pm

I have noticed the same thing, fresh cut fields are being filled with geese

Can't wait!
Snoflk
Newb

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:08 pm

Well finally!
The countdown to the first of this fall's bird seasons is complete . Forest grouse opened today.

But for most of us, we're going to have to sweat out one more day after what's left of today, to chase doves. Looks like the weather here in eastern Idaho will stay warm, so birds should be abundant until the coming week at least.

Tomorrow is the start of the Eastern Idaho State Fair, and has for many years been the 'official' start of my Autumn season.
Wife jumped the gun a little this year, and I see the living room is now festooned in fall decor as of this afternoon. More is coming up from the basement tomorrow, and the fall 'Yankee' candles will be lit then as well.

The start of all good things has arrived.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:59 am

OK!
It's official. First bird season under way. Shots heard all over in distance this morning.
Hurrah!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:15 pm

Nice. I busting butt to get decoy orders out and be ready for the opener. Gettin' cooler in the mornings now. Only 18 more days of work for my summer job........
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:46 pm

Not exactly time for the short countdown to fall just yet, but in taking an account of all I have to do before it rolls into view, I am way behind.
Too hot for more than maybe two hours of work in the garage on my hen decoys, but I will have the biggest part of that done in two weeks (which is two weeks later than I thought)
Get shelves in new decoy trailer.
Continued training with Jake.
Build a privacy fence in front of the hot tub. As per wife.
Kill, and replant a weed patch in the back lawn. As per wife.
Replace some wood on, and repaint shed. As per wife.
Sneak in a little fishing. Despite wife.

Wife and son decided to restart crafting business with deluxe birdhouses (Hence our name), and it will my job to flock and ice cycle the Christmas ones. As per wife.
They build now for Fall and Winter.

So I guess I just thought I had a lot of time before fall?
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:58 am

You have an early goose season up there for the resident Canadas?
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:35 pm

Mean Gene wrote:You have an early goose season up there for the resident Canadas?

No. Youth hunt the weekend before general is all!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby blackrock » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:39 pm

image.jpg
Here we go. He couldn't take it anymore, dekes spread all over the driveway and lawn. Sending 2-3 dozen out for repaint, I guess they are due, especially my 20 year old G&H supermag Mallards. I'm probably just going for paint though, I'm concerned about the durability of flocked decoys.
blackrock
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:48 pm

blackrock wrote:
image.jpg
Here we go. He couldn't take it anymore, dekes spread all over the driveway and lawn. Sending 2-3 dozen out for repaint, I guess they are due, especially my 20 year old G&H supermag Mallards. I'm probably just going for paint though, I'm concerned about the durability of flocked decoys.

I'll give you a report after my first season with 'em

Not scared myself tho. I know how to fix any problems.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:14 am

That's been my problem with being so young ( at heart ) , trying to be ready for this up-coming season . :lol3:
You mean you're not ready ?........ :yes:
Now it's to damn hot to do anything but wait or dream of what I hope it is to come ! :hammer: Time ?
3200 man
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:04 pm

I don't quite know what to expect on an El Nino winter.
Never paid much attention during the last one. They say it's going to be a pretty big one unless estimates of it's power have changed. dams10ww is at ISU, and had a class on it, says we'll get a good bit of moisture coming up thru Nevada into southern Idaho, but says we'll have warmer temps as well.
Don't know what that will do for our waterfowl hunting?
Hopefully the cold up north will still be intact, and push the birds here where they linger for a while before moving on. A good cool fall with lots of birds would be nice, but we still need those lows in the twenty's or even some zero's at the end of Dec and on thru January. Didn't have many last year, may not have much this year.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby blackrock » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:44 pm

image.jpg
So this is buddy 3 seasons ago. Mid January, it was so warm all month he hunted in a t shirt almost every day. We were buried in huge flocks of Wigeons, Mallards and even Teal and Gadwalls. They stayed (or flew back north!) and we hunted in glorious warm golden sunshine almost every day. Never seen anything like it.
blackrock
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:47 pm

Considering the pictures I've seen, I'd say that young man is being brought up quite the outdoors man.

Better that by far than hiding in his room slaughtering his fellow man in virtual battles.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Qback5 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:43 am

Not just an outdoorsman...overall quality young man! It's evident in the Steelers' hat!!!
Qback5
hunter

Postby blackrock » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:00 am

Thanks guys, we're pretty proud of him, he's quite the young man!
blackrock
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting