May try a new spot this opener

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

May try a new spot this opener

Postby GanderCommander1 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:17 am

Did alittle scouting Saturday and found a spot holding many birds. A mix of mallards, teal, widgeon, and wood ducks. I don't always hunt the same area on openers. Do you guys typically have a favorite spot that you always head to for opening day? And as a rule, do you usually get there the day before and spend the night at your spot ? I have done that before in the boat and it wasn't the most pleasant experience. I don't think that I got a minutes sleep all night. May do it again this year, but will definitely be more prepared for warmth and comfort. I can only hope that my comfort level isn't so improved that my wake up call is the next group over taking their first shots of the morning.
GanderCommander1
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:24 am

Glad you found your spot...

I've got mine picked out too, have since June. I don't anticipate anyone else hunting nearby, so I won't be staying the night. Plus, if someone else is there when I show up I've got a handfull of other spots nearby that'll suit me just find :thumbsup:
wingnutty
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:21 am

Gander:

Are you going to the spot we scouted last year but that you did not use?
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby Idahofowlweather » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:23 am

I try to always hunt a new spot on the opener... here in the valley most of the hutners are out after big game so the opener is not so busy... but I have seen guys have camp fires going and stayed over night... It always seems to me I am always rushing the opener I get set in the blind and it is shooting time... not this year I will be ready I just have to make sure the alarm clocks are set.. :yes:
Idahofowlweather
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:37 am

I am going down one last time to Oregon to shoot the opener at my buddies' farm in Klamath Falls. They took 180 acres (out of 350) and did a total marsh restoration. We always limit on opener with a very nice mixture of puddle ducks.

Unfortunately, the Oregon opener for that part of the state again coincides with the North Idaho opener.

My buddies just sold the farm (60 day close) so this is the last time I will be missing an Idaho opener to hook up with them.

Good luck to all.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:23 am

glad you found a new sweet spot... any day after opener, we can hunt on a guys private land on the river... however opening day we are just going to our usual spot on the river i think and beating people off of it with a stick... its going to be an early morning that's for sure...
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby HaydenHunter » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:29 pm

jjohnson,

We used to hunt every opener in the general area where I think you guys hunt. We would spend the night out at the spot and be flashing guys off very early in the morning.

Have a good opener and I hope your new boat works well.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:03 pm

thanks :thumbsup: if "the mill" means anything to you, then you know the area we hunt... boy i still can't believe that we have less than two weeks to go... its like waiting for christmas :getdown:

good luck to you at your spot in oregon :thumbsup:

and to everyone else, good luck as long as you dont try to steal our spot :pissed: just kiddin... or am i..
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby ArkansasDuckHunter » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:16 am

Spending the night on opening day sounds nice in Arkansas it was like spending the night every weekend! :thumbsdown: That was if the hunting was good.
ArkansasDuckHunter
hunter

Postby justakiller » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:01 am

I havent spent the nite in a duck blind since I was in HS. We did it for fun in those days..........I dont see it being all that much fun anymore :toofunny: I have hunted the same place on the opener almost every year since I have been hunting........except for the past 3 or 4. It is shallow, quiet , easy hunting, and filled with family tradition. The past few years I have been hunting the Snake on the opener. With my kids raring to go......I believe I will be hunting the slough for the next several openers.
justakiller
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting