Snake

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

Snake

Postby 3am » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:19 pm

I was wondering if any of you could fill me in on some of the better known boat eaters on the snake, I've never boated on the river portion of the snake, just the reservoirs. Any info on sandbars that are just hidden or rocks in the middle of the channel that shouldn't be there but are, that sort of thing. Areas im most interested in are the parma area which I've heard has a bad sandbar, but I don't know where, Celebration park area to Marsing. So if you could help me stay dry this season it would be much appreciated, and any general know how about boating the river that would be usefull as well.
3am
hunter

Re: Snake

Postby waveslider » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:37 am

There are lots of potential problem areas in all the stretches you mention unfortunately. Especially in a low water year and especially the stretch from CJ Dam to Swan Falls (its a little easier down closer to Swan Falls due to the reservoir). If you don't know that stretch, you can, and likely will sink your boat owing to some pretty serious rocks just underwater at this river level. At least that's what I'm told....

But, they are just about all doable if you know them well. The way to get to know them well is to float them and inspect them slowly. So that means hours and hours on the river learning the "path" through the rocks and sandbars.

The one piece of advice I would give you is to not assume that you will "see" all the rocks and relevant sandbars. Since many of the areas you mention cover fairly slow-moving water, a 2 inch deep sandbar will not necessarily be obvious because there is just not enough speed on the river to show a riffle and such. Same goes for large rocks just under the surface, there isn't enough current to make them swirl and appear like a large rock.

So, even if someone would tell you "watch out for this rock, or that sandbar", until you get on it and cruise it super slow, you will not know it.

And that's just doing it in broad daylight, doing it in pitch black is a whole nother story.

NOTE: Apparently, there was a rash of people out in the dark in various locations without any navigation lights on their boats last year and I heard a couple guys got tickets. Be sure to use your running lights for your boat in the dark.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby 3am » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:13 am

thanks for the reply. Gong to check out the river today probably near map rock to get an idea of what im dealing with so I can take the boat out tomorrow. I was also thinking and wanted to know, if you guys prefer to hunt out of the boat with a blind or do you usually get out and set up in the brush of the bank or island? The pros on tv hunting out of boats are always on slow water or still water for that matter, but the snake i'd think the current would make that a bit more difficult. Im trying to decide if I want to build a boat blind for this season or just work out of the brush.
3am
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:27 am

Find a nice spot and work out of the brush. No use in fighting currents and dragging anchors, and putting too much work on the dog
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting