Sweltering 90*s

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

Sweltering 90*s

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:08 pm

Trying to stay cool in the July heat?
Kick back under a nice shade tree, close your eyes and look forward a few months.
Drifting along into this

And soon after to this

Already starting to feel much better myself.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Re: Sweltering 90*s

Postby dams10ww » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:14 pm

Awesome pics. Here's where I go.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (19.62 KiB) Viewed 6650 times
image.jpg
image.jpg
dams10ww
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:13 am

Boy oh boy,
That center pic looks just like the spread of decoys I hunted over alot last year.

There's just not any part of this stuff that isn't fun.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby waveslider » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:34 pm

Fsbirdhouse wrote:Boy oh boy,
That center pic looks just like the spread of decoys I hunted over alot last year.

Considering we had snow on the ground for something like 39 consecutive days in the SW, it probably looked like EVERYONE's spread. Maybe a few more ducks, a few less geese.... :)
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby dams10ww » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:09 pm

The crazy thing was it was just half of the spread. It had just as many on the other side. I will have to say 3 hours of setting up, was worth it once the birds showed up! :bow:
dams10ww
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:34 pm

I am a long way from being satisfied with the spread I have, and need at least another dozen full body goose and several dozen full body duck decoys.
Am lucky enough to mostly hunt with other guys who can add their dekes to mine and make a considerable spread.
I have three Mojos myself, and they have others, and every hunt I went on for ducks last season we put them out, and had very good, to best ever (Yet) hunts on every occasion.
Don't know why I see so many posters here slam them, but they worked both early, mid, and late season last year.
Guess it isn't always so for everybody.

Oh BTW. We just got a day closer to opening day duck, and cooler temps!
Ain't it grand?
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby dams10ww » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:06 pm

I happened to see a group of goslings take off the other day and land in a field I was driving by sure gets me excited. FSBirdhouse your on the Blackfoot DU committee correct? We'll have to get a hunt together one of these weekends.
dams10ww
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:45 pm

Wife and I were sitting on our back patio and five honkers flew by two nights ago right over our heads so low I thought they were gonna crash into the large globe willow to the left of the red bush in picture.
Cleared it by five feet if that much.
Hearing a lot of geese on the wing now, but I don't think quite all the goslings are fledged just yet.
Then it really gets noisy here, because they lift off the river and 80%-90% come right over my house on a given day.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:26 am

Looks like the next 4-5 days are slated to be in the mid 90*s, then comes a bit of a cool down into the 80*s.
I believe I can handle that much better!
2 1/2 weeks 'til pre season NFL football, and although I don't watch a lot of the pre season, I consider the start of the season a major milestone on the way to the fall huntung season!
Big desert Elk season starts in two weeks.
I can't imagine big game hunting in these hot temps. What are they thinking?
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:27 pm

Mid 90*s forecast until Sat, then a 10* temperature drop for the rest of the ten day forecast.
Maybe we'll have turned the corner on the worst of this summer's heat here in E Idaho.

August still gets hot of course, but it seems to take much longer to get to the peak heat of the day, and the night seems to begin to cool at an earlier hour. The occasional August thunderstorms will cool an afternoon quickly, and if it comes late enough toward evening there'll be good sleeping that night under an open window.
Late August has been seeing the very first signs of the Autumn leaf change in the low bushes along the river, at least over the last several years, and I am always glad to see that harbinger of the seasonal change.
For those of us who keep an eye to such things, the early signs of the coming season we most look forward to are beginning to appear all around us. July it may be for a few more days yet, but we are definitely on the downhill side of the long hot days.
Time to get the boat ready, shake out the decoys, locate all the foul weather gear where it's been in hiding since last winter, and start being extra sweet to the wife (no telling all the slack that might earn you over the fall season), and all the hundred and one things that have become part of the preseason ritual.
Sweltering 90*s :hi: Bye.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby waveslider » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:42 pm

Remember these days?
Attachments
dayafterxmas2012.jpg
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:29 am

Yup! Looking forward to more a coming soon.
Looks like I may be geared up for them as well.
Seems like all the stars lined up just right for me this week, and I'm still almost speechless.
Had told the wife I'd sell my jet boat when I was having some pretty severe health issues a couple of months ago that turned out to be mostly med induced, and she forgave me that slip and said I could keep it after all.
Then, just over the weekend, said I should go down tomorrow and pick out a brand new Ford F150. (Possibly a canopy too!)
Oh, and BTW, if I'd like to, at the same time, draw out an extra $1000 from the 401K and get decoyed up, I should do that as well.
Asked if I was planning to go back to N. Dakota Pheasant hunting again this year. Really? ...............Astonished! (May pass on N. Dakota so as not to appear too greedy just now, and use that for leverage if the need arises later. Wow! Am I being devious here?)

Gonna be a good year!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:50 pm

And so I did, in part, get this much accomplished today.
Jake likes Santa's/Jake's new sleigh.
Last edited by Fsbirdhouse on Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:02 pm

Whew!
Glad that's over! (July)

Ordered my lessers. Put in an order at Cabela's for a dozen FA lessers the other day and was told they'd be here today, and when they weren't, called about them, and was told they are on back order.
Not that I'm in a big hurry, but I found a harvester pack of GHG Tim Newbold lessers at Macks PW for $28 less, cancelled the FAs and got the GHGs instead. That buys me a slotted bag for the lessers!
When I check out of here, I'm ordering one more decoy, and all I'll have left to do after that is flock the heads on my shells and cord/weight my floaters, do some work on my blinds, kick back and wait for Dove season!

Hey!
It's August.......NFL preseason in three more days!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:15 am

Hurrah!
The first NFL preseason game is behind us, and nearly the first week of August as well!
Yeah, I'm keeping count of each day now!

I'm gonna be dragging my goose shells down off the shelves they're stored on, fixing any cracks in the bodies/necks, repainting the breasts from the old bluish grey they came with from the factory to a very, very light cream to match the GHG full bodies I now have.
I'll be flocking the heads, and probably the tails on them too.
Thinking about flocking the heads on the drake mallard floaters I have too, but we'll see if time and passion see me thru on that.

Boat's ready to go, but I'm only about 50% done with the boat blind, and with the cash outlay on the boat motor repairs, new truck and decoys just purchased last week, the boat blind may go on the back burner this season. That won't keep me from hunting the river by any means.

As the weather cools, I'll be intensifying hand signal training on Jake, my Chocolate Lab, and I'll probably mix all of the above with a little fishing on the river. I suspect certain conditions I'm seeing start to take shape may see a bonanza in the fall fishing on the river here in town about E. Idaho State Fair week. Hope so! The signs are all there!

Now the days are still forecast to rise into the very high 80*s, or maybe a low 90*s or two over the next ten, but the light is getting pretty bright at the end of the tunnel, and if I keep my eye on that, and concentrate on the chores left to do to get ready for Autumn, far quicker than I think......... The first bird hunting will be kicking off with the Dove season!
Yeah Baby! It's almost here.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:10 pm

Spent the morning pressure washing my shells and their heads. That much prepping is behind me, now to do a little experimenting with the paint scheme to get a match with my full body dekes and the ones like them I'll be buying tomorrow here in town.
Later this week I'll be working on getting my blinds finished, and then the major part of this year's work and expense will be behind me.

Beginning to cloud up and get dark outside just now, and I just heard a rumble of thunder.
Love a rainy August afternoon! Cooler temps!

Daughter and her boyfriend were 4-wheeling in the mountains this past weekend, and said the leaf change has not only started up high, some leaves are already falling!
Hurry Autumn!

Edit: Huge windstorm just hit us ten minutes after posting above.
Was talking to farmer's wife where we hunted his grainfield about getting permission again this season.
Was lucky enough to get it just moments before the microburst hit.
Whew! That is secured for another year. Already hundreds of geese using it!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:42 pm

Today's forecast 89*. The next three are mid 90*s.
Hiding under the AC and thinking about the future.

Anything but August!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2uvtl-1V70

Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:58 pm

Well, well, well!
I'd heard the leaf change had started in the high mountains, but I just got back from taking the daughter fishing on the Snake river in Blackfoot, and guess what I saw on the gravel bars 1/2 mile up from the bridges in town?
Yup! The leaf change has started here as well, and nothing says Autumn like that!
Bird hunting two weeks away!
Last edited by Fsbirdhouse on Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby kgrant » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:43 pm

That's awesome! I love this time of year. How did ya'll do on the river?
kgrant
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:28 pm

Daughter lost two fish, one a very powerful fish.
I brought one small trout home for tomorrow's breakfast!
To be had with scrambled eggs mixed with extra sharp cheddar, and pepper jack cheeses, hashbrown potatoes with red and green bell peppers and chopped onions of course.
Sourdough bread topped with Jan's homemade strawberry jam.
Coffee with just a dash of Mudslide.

Angler's breakfast!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby kgrant » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:03 pm

That's Great what the river gives it also takes away but sound like its going to give you a tasty breakfast and full stomach. :thumbsup:
kgrant
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:30 pm

BTW:
Grant, you don't want to miss the E. Idaho state fair here in Blackfoot on the 29th August-Sept 7th.
Super fair food!
Try the Aberdeen deep fried trout booth if you like fish, and there's other good fish booths too (Crawfish, salmon).
Dutch oven cooking, Turkey legs, Pie booths, funnel cakes and just everything a growing boy needs. Ha!
Folks from other states say we have some of the best fair food in the country because of restrictions on what can be done other places.
I don't really know, but we have a really good old fashioned state fair, and the food is very good.
I consider the State Fair to be the official kick-off to my fall season, and it, and the opening day of dove hunting are always close together.
Cooler temps, Pennant races in baseball heat up, NFL football, hunting, better fishing, and just all the best holidays of the year lie ahead.
What's not to like?
Last edited by Fsbirdhouse on Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby kgrant » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:16 pm

Fsbirdhouse wrote:BTW:
Grant, you don't want to miss the E. Idaho state fair here in Blackfoot on the 29th August-Sept 7th.
Super fair food!
Try the Aberdeen deep fried fried trout booth if you like fish, and there's other good fish booths too (Crawfish, salmon).
Dutch oven cooking, Turkey legs, Pie booths, funnel cakes and just everything a growing boy needs. Ha!
Folks from other states say we have some of the best fair food in the country because of restrictions on what can be done other places.
I don't really know, but we have a really good old fashioned state fair, and the food is very good.
I consider the State Fair to be the official kick-off to my fall season, and it, and the opening day of dove hunting are always close together.
Cooler temps, Pennant races in baseball heat up, NFL football, hunting, better fishing, and just all the best holidays of the year lie ahead.
What's not to like?

Birdhouse you had me at deepfried fried trout haha. My wife says its awesome shes driven down from star valley alomst every year to go. im definetly there, hahaha when is dove opener? in ut its first saturday if september,
kgrant
hunter

Postby dams10ww » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:20 pm

Always opens September 1st I'm gonna miss it this year to try and take out one of those rib-eye of the skies the elusive Sandhill crane.
dams10ww
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:33 am

Every morning, every night.
Hundreds passing over the house.
Some really low. These didn't look like they were gonna clear the trees, but did by about ten feet.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Next

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting