Sweltering 90*s

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

Re: Sweltering 90*s

Postby Mean Gene » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:21 pm

I have a Badger 175 Crescendo. I got it off Amazon, I think, for about a hundred bucks. The key to tight lies is getting the right pressure and thickness of the thinned paint. You also HAVE to keep moving while you pull the trigger. My pressure regulator sucks, so that gets frustrating.
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby blackrock » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:04 pm

fixed blade wrote:Hey blackrock, is that a 400 xtc?
Fixed, he's got the 350 XCF. Awesome bike,it's got a lot of mods. He was riding my older 525 but it was tough to get through the twisties, heavy and a real bear if you got in trouble on the really steep loose shale hill sections! This could be the ultimate bike.......
blackrock
hunter

Postby waveslider » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:56 pm

Mean Gene,

Why bother w the Sprig decoys? By my experience we had to shoo them away to get to the other ducks in the PRK. :)
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:57 pm

Used to be that the Sprig ruled supreme in Calif.
Maybe still do?
Been gone a long time. Things may have changed.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby waveslider » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:47 pm

Indeed, I have a slight piece of nostalgia for those flocks of 30-60 sprig circling and circling and landing in the decoys like butterflies with sore feet in the decoys. After you've knocked down your two of course.

Here it seems like the big flocks of pintail come through during trapping season and we see flights of several hundred flying by in mid-February.

In any event, they are good looking blocks Mean Gene.
waveslider
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:03 pm

You are so right FS , now Spoonies are king !...........I'll wait for Flocked Spoonie decoys , Gene ? :lol3:

Plain old Mallard decoys seem to do the job here , flocked that is !
3200 man
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:12 pm

3200 man wrote:You are so right FS , now Spoonies are king !...........I'll wait for Flocked Spoonie decoys , Gene ? :lol3:

Plain old Mallard decoys seem to do the job here , flocked that is !

Flocked decoys don't work. No-one should ever use them. :lol3:

I don't kill many pintail here in this part of California unless I'm hunting the refuge. This year it won't have any water so it'll be all lake and river for me. Mallards and woodies early, wigeon, a few mallards and plenty of divers later. Te lakes I hunt my have more birds than normal due to the over-all lack of water elsewhere, but that remains to be seen. I took advantage of the cool evening and drove along the river a little while ago. Saw a mallard, a woodie and an otter...not much else.
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:08 am

Wow , at least you have water in the river ! When I see a local Duck flying here , it's carrying a canteen !
It's hard to see but it's there , I know ! :yes:

I have 2 Sprig field decoys in my bag that I use for color in my spread , with all the others being Mallards in and around
the water , seems to work here with all the Sprig flying over !

Maybe it's the Flash that counts ?
3200 man
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:31 am

I won't put any species of decoys out for birds that I'm not targeting, except maybe mallards. I usually have a pair of mallard decoys out with whatever decoys reflect the species I want to target. We will change the spread depending on what we are seeing on the river, be it ringers, redheads, wigeon, gadwall, goldeneye or geese. Of course I've shot a lot of species of ducks over mallard decoys over the past 47 years, but I've done way better with each species, especially divers by using their own kind of decoys. Mallards are the least likely to care from my experience. I've had more mallards in my goldeneye and wigeon decoys than in my mallard decoys on the river. I won't use a decoy that's not flocked, I don't see the point. I would just as soon no one else used flocked decoys however. I've flocked just about every species of duck we have. 3200, we've even flocked shovelers.

woodduck31
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:38 am

Last season I was out on a small slough 25 ft wide and two foot deep adjusting a Mojo, with my lab only 4 ft away, and a hen Spoonie landed less than 8 ft away from the two of us.
Now there's a sporting bird for you!
Spoonies used to be 'THE' Dec bird back in the late '60s before my small sump pond became the Bayshore park, and Google's back parking lot in later years.
Flocks would buzz in consistently numbering 20-30..... sharp, and beautifully plumed in the December sun.
But even as teenager I became snobbish about taking them, and held out for Cinnamon teal, Gadwall, or a late season Pintail.
The few early Dec Spoonies I did take out of pure boredom, must always have been fresh from the rice fields up north, because they seemed as good to eat as any of the more glamorous Sprig, and Mallards I might get then.
It is hard to beat a rice fed bird!

Still, hard to imagine a land where the lowly Spoonie has become King.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:41 am

woodduck31 wrote:I won't put any species of decoys out for birds that I'm not targeting, except maybe mallards. I usually have a pair of mallard decoys out with whatever decoys reflect the species I want to target. We will change the spread depending on what we are seeing on the river, be it ringers, redheads, wigeon, gadwall, goldeneye or geese. Of course I've shot a lot of species of ducks over mallard decoys over the past 47 years, but I've done way better with each species, especially divers by using their own kind of decoys. Mallards are the least likely to care from my experience. I've had more mallards in my goldeneye and wigeon decoys than in my mallard decoys on the river. I won't use a decoy that's not flocked, I don't see the point. I would just as soon no one else used flocked decoys however. I've flocked just about every species of duck we have. 3200, we've even flocked shovelers.

Finest looking Shoveler decoys I've ever seen!

I'll bet the sight of those made 3200 man's finger twitch!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:47 am

I just barely remember shooting one years and years ago , I would tell you the story but I have Mallard ,Sprig and Teal
on my mind right now :yes: ! I'm impressed with those flocked Spoonies though and I hope fellas depend on them more
and cover the Rice Fields with them . Thank Goodness I hunt mostly in the riparian forested areas and not close to the
sewage ponds these birds like . Even tho the great Valley Oaks along the river are being replaced by Almond trees , there
is shade for the birds I hunt . Yes , rice breast birds are common in the north....I wish hunters up there more success
with limits daily !

Our Sand Grouse hunting should be good too , this year ? :lol3:
3200 man
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:11 pm

I won't put any species of decoys out for birds that I'm not targeting

Here I target "ducks"...being specific means empty sacks. :lol3: :lol3: I have noticed puddle ducks seem to prefer puddle duck decoys, and divers like divers. The one duck I have seen that's picky, at least here, are goldeneyes. Wherever you put the goldeneye decoys is where they will go to.

Late in the season I have a blast sitting on the river bank and pass shooting buffleheads and goldeneyes. Little buggers are SCREAMING up and down the river all day. Can make for some humbling experiences for sure. :lol3:
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:13 pm

spoonies are a pretty rare sight around here and never in good color, so I never use spoonie decoys. I don't even own more than maybe a dozen mallard decoys. All we hunted in kansas when I grew up was mallards and I just got tired of them. I'll pass them every time if there is anything else flying. Wigeon and teal taste so much better, they don't get a free pass. I do have some pintails in my spread even though it's rare for us to see them, to be honest I just have pintails because I think they look cool.

95% of the decoys we make are sandhill cranes, all of them flocked and going to Alaska, Oklahoma, Canada, and Texas for the most part.

woodduck31
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:43 pm

Wood duck,
Are you at all involved with DU in Idaho?
If you are, then you know Mond Warren.
Talking to him this spring at our banquet here in Blackfoot, he said he's beginning to see a lot more Sprig these last couple years, and I'm presuming he's talking about in western Idaho?
I haven't bagged one in several years, so they're not common over here, but I'd pick one out of a group of mixed ducks every time if given the opportunity!

I agree about the Teal being tasty little morsels.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:27 pm

Yes Teal are very tasty but eating a Rib-eye in the sky is wonderful ! They are protected here in the west but they do
fly in groups close to the ground over our decoys , OH how I wish ? Those decoys would be Deadly !
3200 man
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:13 pm

I do know Mond Warren, but haven't seen him in maybe 10 years. I have worked with DU in several states with their yearly state decoy.

I've heard of there being pintails around, but for the most part that's for the field hunters and it's extremely rare that we get to do any of that, maybe once every 2 or 3 years.

I've never eaten cranes, but they say they are great. If they are better than eating speck they must be heaven. I can eat speck steaks cooked just like any good beef steak, maybe better.

probably most of the other 5% of the decoys we make are specks and they generally head for texas too and of course they are flocked.

woodduck31
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:54 pm

Some of your bird's poses are the most unusual I've yet seen.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:55 pm

Good day scouting, and making contacts. More water and fields to hunt.
Hurry Fall!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:14 pm

body language has always been a big deal to the decoys I make. I'm just not into the cookie cutter decoys.

woodduck31
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:15 pm

Where you located Don?
I'm gonna have to see your showroom floor someday!
Great detail.

The work I'm doing now on my own decoys is going to have to see me thru to to end of my hunting career.
Depending on an upgrade to my spread with better (Not many more are needed) decoys, and how persuasive my DU committee members are, my flocking efforts are gonna go thru a major downgrade.
I've already seen my wife's finger going side to side, and now up and down, and I am paying attention!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:27 pm

I see guys talking about diver duck hunting a lot.
I guess I must have closed my mind to all but Cans, Bluebills (Greater and Lesser), Redheads, and Ringnecks.
The thought of Goldeneyes and Buffleheads, and others just never were even a consideration, as I always thought of them as 'Fish ducks'.
We have scads of them on the river late in the season, but retrieving one over the ice never seems feasible at all. How do they eat? Any good?
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:59 pm

I'm in boise, but I don't think I'm part of the rum bumb crew:-). no showroom floor here, barely room to walk. We don't let anyone in the shop anymore, learned my lesson there. You are sure welcome to stop by the house for a visit though. we are about done with all of our plastics, maybe 2 or 3 more months, then we will only be doing custom decoys (mostly cranes) and a glass etching business that is part of my oldest boy's business.

divers eat just fine in breakfast sausage, I love it. That's what I do with all of my duck except for wigeon, wood duck and teal. I've only shot one canvasback that wasn't loaded with rice breast and it ate pretty good and shot very few pintails that weren't loaded with rice breast.

We have to be careful about decoying since we don't have a boat, it's a must to get birds in tight so the dog has an easy time. My big chessie will actually bring two in at a time if they are close on the water. We never ever pass shoot, the birds are usually within 18 yards and slow with feet down, we have a pretty good efficiency on shooting. I just love decoying ducks, I don't care what they are, the easier they decoy the better I like it.

Retrieving anything on the ice isn't feasible at all, we just don't go.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:16 pm

What exactly is rice breast, I've only seen one bird with it that I can recall.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby waveslider » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:39 pm

Its a parasite that grows within the meat of waterfowl. The technical name for it is Sarcosytis (sp?). The experts claim that it presents no harm to humans but really at the end of the day I am simply not willing to go on "expert" opinion for some things. If someone wants to write me a ticket for throwing away a bird with rice breast, I'll pay the ticket. That's just my opinion, others feel differently.

In Cali there were days that we would only have one or two birds in 3 or 4 limits that DIDN'T have it. It was sad actually.

I can't remember any teal with it but the Sprig and Greenheads were filthy with it. I don't believe its common for divers.

Since being in Idaho I bet I've only seen a handful of birds with it. And that's a pretty high sample size.

We never shot spoonies so no clue on whether they are prone to it.

If you typically breast your birds you won't miss it, its quite obvious and looks as though the breast meat has had little rice kernels inserted into the tissue. Trust me, you won't miss it.

Now, if you pluck your birds with the skin on you probably won't see it and there probably tons that are eaten and no one is the wiser.

We NEVER saw it in Missouri, I only learned about it in Cali.
waveslider
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting