Sweltering 90*s

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

Re: Sweltering 90*s

Postby Mean Gene » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:51 pm

Fsbirdhouse wrote:What exactly is rice breast, I've only seen one bird with it that I can recall.



Parasites in the breast meat. When you skin the bird it looks like rice kernals in the meat. From what I've read if you cook the meat good it's no big deal. Very seldom get anything like that here. It's always grossed me out though, so any time I've seen it I chuck the bird. It's common down in the Sacramento Valley, but not up here. I've only learned a little about it from a small amount of reading. Just a lesson learned. Lots of lessons learned in life, some matter, some don't. I tend to learn more by "doing" than "seeing". Have had times though, even in the recent past, where folks have warned me about something, but I didn't listen. Figured it couldn't be that bad. Then something happened, and I learned my lesson. Should have listened to the warnings and saved myself some grief I guess. :lol3: :lol3:

Speaking of lessons, it's gonna be interesting dow here this year when folks don't have their usual watering holes to hunt. We'll see how many of them have been paying attention to what kind of "alternative methods" are out there for chasing birds. Problem with most folks is they do one thing for so long it becomes ingrained in them and that's all they know. I like to experiment and think outside the box. The lessons I've learned by doing that just might come in real handy this year. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
User avatar
Mean Gene
hunter
 
Posts: 774
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:16 pm
Location: Yreka, CA


Re: Sweltering 90*s

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:02 pm

Mean Gene wrote:
Fsbirdhouse wrote:What exactly is rice breast, I've only seen one bird with it that I can recall.



Parasites in the breast meat. When you skin the bird it looks like rice kernals in the meat. From what I've read if you cook the meat good it's no big deal. Very seldom get anything like that here. It's always grossed me out though, so any time I've seen it I chuck the bird. It's common down in the Sacramento Valley, but not up here. I've only learned a little about it from a small amount of reading. Just a lesson learned. Lots of lessons learned in life, some matter, some don't. I tend to learn more by "doing" than "seeing". Have had times though, even in the recent past, where folks have warned me about something, but I didn't listen. Figured it couldn't be that bad. Then something happened, and I learned my lesson. Should have listened to the warnings and saved myself some grief I guess. :lol3: :lol3:

Speaking of lessons, it's gonna be interesting dow here this year when folks don't have their usual watering holes to hunt. We'll see how many of them have been paying attention to what kind of "alternative methods" are out there for chasing birds. Problem with most folks is they do one thing for so long it becomes ingrained in them and that's all they know. I like to experiment and think outside the box. [color=#FF0000]The lessons I've learned by doing that just might come in real handy this year. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:[/color]

Been working on just that sort of thing myself.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter
 
Posts: 1086
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Sweltering 90*s

Postby Mean Gene » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:13 pm

I guess the bright side is when all the folks start crying the blues their tears my fill the ponds. :lol3:
User avatar
Mean Gene
hunter
 
Posts: 774
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:16 pm
Location: Yreka, CA

Re: Sweltering 90*s

Postby blackrock » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:39 am

ImageHit the hill for some shooting. It was handgun day.....


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
blackrock
hunter
 
Posts: 862
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:35 pm

Re: Sweltering 90*s

Postby blackrock » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:41 am

Imageand old rifle day. Bud likes his M1 Garand better than all the others!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
blackrock
hunter
 
Posts: 862
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:35 pm

Re: Sweltering 90*s

Postby blackrock » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:45 am

ImageSuper really likes her 1911 from Grandpa. Shoots it well......


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
blackrock
hunter
 
Posts: 862
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:35 pm

Re: Sweltering 90*s

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:36 pm

Uh Oh!
They're coming in sideways again!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter
 
Posts: 1086
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Sweltering 90*s

Postby blackrock » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:46 pm

Noooooo, I thought Tapatalk was helping.......
blackrock
hunter
 
Posts: 862
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:35 pm

Re: Sweltering 90*s

Postby jdinid » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:41 pm

I'm on TapaTalk and they seem alright to me. :)
jdinid
hunter
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: Sweltering 90*s

Postby Mean Gene » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:26 pm

blackrock wrote:Noooooo, I thought Tapatalk was helping.......



Epic fail. :lol3:
User avatar
Mean Gene
hunter
 
Posts: 774
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:16 pm
Location: Yreka, CA

Re: Sweltering 90*s

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:48 pm

blackrock wrote:Noooooo, I thought Tapatalk was helping.......

Only the picture of 'Super'? is sideways
Fsbirdhouse
hunter
 
Posts: 1086
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Sweltering 90*s

Postby Mean Gene » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:24 am

Lots of clouds in the sky this morning. Not good clouds...harbingers of lightning to come. Supposed to be over 100 again as well. This summer sucks.
User avatar
Mean Gene
hunter
 
Posts: 774
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:16 pm
Location: Yreka, CA

Re: Sweltering 90*s

Postby 3200 man » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:33 am

Like Gene with 100 plus degrees here and 2 1/2 months of summer left , I have the boat ready for the 53 % El Nino ! :lol3:
Spot fires in the grasslands are frequent from careless smokers along with vegetation management burning . The air here
is not bad if you don't mind staying indoors ( as most of us do ) but with watery eyes we can't see much anyhow !
Doves are everywhere so it's time to sharpen the eye for some fast action in the early season a month away ! :hammer:
Corn , Safflower ,nuts and wheat fields are ready to be harvested so the Dove flights will be forming as always . With having
a shade tree picked out close to water ( did I say that ? ) , if I can remember what water looks like should be good !
3200 man
hunter
 
Posts: 2767
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:30 am

Re: Sweltering 90*s

Postby jdinid » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:51 am

We're back in 90's here. The garden is looking good and the new siding on the cabin is coming along. I'll be scouting for forest grouse in a couple of weeks!
jdinid
hunter
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: Sweltering 90*s

Postby woodduck31 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:15 am

blue grouse and bear in 34 days, I can't wait. Passed on a couple of decent bears in the spring, hoping for a big blackie in september. River flows are finally decent for fly fishing, so that is what's on the slate for the next 4 weeks, then some combined cast and blast, trout and bears. I don't mind 100 degrees when I'm knee deep in a cold river with a fly rod in my hand.
User avatar
woodduck31
hunter
 
Posts: 663
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:05 am

Re: Sweltering 90*s

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:12 pm

woodduck31 wrote:blue grouse and bear in 34 days, I can't wait. Passed on a couple of decent bears in the spring, hoping for a big blackie in september. River flows are finally decent for fly fishing, so that is what's on the slate for the next 4 weeks, then some combined cast and blast, trout and bears. I don't mind 100 degrees when I'm knee deep in a cold river with a fly rod in my hand.


Just a couple of weeks from now, we might be seeing some of the gravel bar trees along the Snake river begin to start their change.

We saw combines rolling on the Ft Hall reservation coming home after visiting the Pocatello Calvary Chapel this morning.
The harvest has started there!

Last night, just at twilight, Mean Gene called, and I stepped out on the patio to chat with him about a planned hunt this fall, and looked up to see a single file line of birds coming straight at me. At first I thought they might be Black Ibis that we have many of here, but they turned out to be short necked geese. I could tell they were far different than our local honkers as they were quite close, but silent as death as they passed by. The light made feather details impossible, but the profiles were plain.
My first thought was Whitefronts/Specks, but I always picture those as a very noisy bird. Don't know what I was seeing, but I can't imagine them as local birds.
I know Specks are known to migrate early, but July seems far too early. Don't know for sure what they were.

We had to go up to our 5th wheel this afternoon to check some things there, and just getting back to Blackfoot, the car was reading 96*. For all we might hope for an early fall this year, it is still "High Summer" on the Snake River Plain!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter
 
Posts: 1086
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Sweltering 90*s

Postby Mean Gene » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:03 pm

If those were specs make sure you hang on to them for awhile so we can invite them to dinner. :lol3:
User avatar
Mean Gene
hunter
 
Posts: 774
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:16 pm
Location: Yreka, CA

Re: Sweltering 90*s

Postby blackrock » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:37 pm

Fsbirdhouse wrote:
woodduck31 wrote:blue grouse and bear in 34 days, I can't wait. Passed on a couple of decent bears in the spring, hoping for a big blackie in september. River flows are finally decent for fly fishing, so that is what's on the slate for the next 4 weeks, then some combined cast and blast, trout and bears. I don't mind 100 degrees when I'm knee deep in a cold river with a fly rod in my hand.


Just a couple of weeks from now, we might be seeing some of the gravel bar trees along the Snake river begin to start their change.

We saw combines rolling on the Ft Hall reservation coming home after visiting the Pocatello Calvary Chapel this morning.
The harvest has started there!

Last night, just at twilight, Mean Gene called, and I stepped out on the patio to chat with him about a planned hunt this fall, and looked up to see a single file line of birds coming straight at me. At first I thought they might be Black Ibis that we have many of here, but they turned out to be short necked geese. I could tell they were far different than our local honkers as they were quite close, but silent as death as they passed by. The light made feather details impossible, but the profiles were plain.
My first thought was Whitefronts/Specks, but I always picture those as a very noisy bird. Don't know what I was seeing, but I can't imagine them as local birds.
I know Specks are known to migrate early, but July seems far too early. Don't know for sure what they were.

We had to go up to our 5th wheel this afternoon to check some things there, and just getting back to Blackfoot, the car was reading 96*. For all we might hope for an early fall this year, it is still "High Summer" on the Snake River Plain!

Yes, very ready for fall! Summer is going by really fast. However we have really toasty weather through September and even into October lately. I got a couple mean sunburns in October last year. I could use some cool mornings. The day it was 52 here in the morning gave me some hope. It was hot today though, took the kids to the Lava pool!
blackrock
hunter
 
Posts: 862
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:35 pm

Re: Sweltering 90*s

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:08 pm

Happy, happy! Joy, joy!
Weather.com is calling for 30% chance of rain on Tuesday, and 40% chance the day after with a 12* temp drop from today by Wed.

Just a little relief............much needed!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter
 
Posts: 1086
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Sweltering 90*s

Postby Mean Gene » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:55 am

Well, no lightning yesterday after all. It's was actually a decent day with the overcast, until about 5 pm, then it cleared off and jumped to 96. At least it wasn't 106. No clouds today though, so it's gonna get ugly later.

Got word the wife and daughter ran the wire wheel over 91 decoys yesterday afternoon. Now I just need to get them out to the "base coat painters" and get the 71 they already did back to the shop so we can slop some paint on them. Probably start the "assembly line" tomorrow. With three of us working on them it won't take too long to get the paint jobs done. Gonna make a couple drying racks to set on saw horses so we can set the birds in there to dry between colors. Shoot, in this heat they'll probably dry before we get out to the rack. :lol3: 162 birds to paint, then we can get on 120 specs to flock. After that there's probable another 75-100 ducks to flock and then...the end. Yep, nothing but down time here. :lol3: I just look at it as every one finished is one closer to not having to do them anymore. Hoping over the course of the winter/spring to some some instructional videos and post them up for folks. No sense people thinking this is rocket science. I think folks might enjoy hunting over decoys they did themselves, they just have to know how to get started. :thumbsup: Really ain't that hard, just very time consuming. I think Jim is really going to enjoy watching birds fall into dekes he did. :thumbsup: As for me, well, I'll be hunting with the same ugly decoys I've used the last three years because I just don't have time to redo my own. :lol3: I do think I'm going to oreder a half dozen of the Higdon wood ducks before the season. Good decoys, and you can't beat the price.
User avatar
Mean Gene
hunter
 
Posts: 774
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:16 pm
Location: Yreka, CA

Re: Sweltering 90*s

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:16 pm

Came within a hair's breadth of finishing the wife's privacy fence this morning, and then a grabber screw kicked sideways with pressure on it, and diverted the spinning phillip's tip into my left index finger. Don't take long to drill a considerable hole in one's finger that way.
I'm sure my eyes were all over my face knowing it was but a moment before the pain would begin to register, but before it did, I did something I always thought couldn't be done;
I held it up while the blood streamed out everywhere, and calmly said "Well, Fiddle De Dee", instead of what one might say in those circumstances.
Mean Gene will know what I'm talking about!

I actually did it!

So ended the fence building. I am at this moment properly 'Self Medicated', and feel I have every excuse to continue being so this afternoon! :thumbsup:
Out to the shade tree, toddy in hand, Lab at my side, dreaming of a light snowfall among golden leaved trees!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter
 
Posts: 1086
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Sweltering 90*s

Postby Mean Gene » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:06 pm

I say that often Jim.....just comes out different. :lol3: :lol3:
User avatar
Mean Gene
hunter
 
Posts: 774
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:16 pm
Location: Yreka, CA

Re: Sweltering 90*s

Postby woodduck31 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:50 pm

I spent the better part of the last two weeks nursing a tooth that blew up and had the extraction on thursday. I'm just about back with the living today. Never had a cavity before, never had a shot in my mouth before, this was a new learning experience for me, wasn't thinking much of light snow and leaves turning though. Got a call right after I got home from the dentist from the tannery telling me my bear was done, but I couldn't answer the phone since I couldn't talk and had to wait till today to get it paid for and get it shipped. I'm very excited about that.

Of course as soon as i got back on my feet a bit, the new etching machine broke down, spent the whole morning running around town to find the part and get things up and running again. We should be winding up the flocking and painting in about 60 days and we will be done with that part of our business. Our website should go offline in about 60 days as well. I'll be real glad to see that in my rear view. Hopefully you all could understand me, I'm typing with a lisp.
User avatar
woodduck31
hunter
 
Posts: 663
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:05 am

Re: Sweltering 90*s

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:25 pm

woodduck31 wrote:I spent the better part of the last two weeks nursing a tooth that blew up and had the extraction on thursday. I'm just about back with the living today. Never had a cavity before, never had a shot in my mouth before, this was a new learning experience for me, wasn't thinking much of light snow and leaves turning though. Got a call right after I got home from the dentist from the tannery telling me my bear was done, but I couldn't answer the phone since I couldn't talk and had to wait till today to get it paid for and get it shipped. I'm very excited about that.

Of course as soon as i got back on my feet a bit, the new etching machine broke down, spent the whole morning running around town to find the part and get things up and running again. We should be winding up the flocking and painting in about 60 days and we will be done with that part of our business. Our website should go offline in about 60 days as well. I'll be real glad to see that in my rear view. Hopefully you all could understand me, I'm typing with a lisp.


The only thing I've ever had that hurt me worse than an impacted tooth was a Kidney Stone.
And I'm not sure about that even.
Before my wife went to work at the Idaho national Lab site, she was 32 years as a dental assistant, so of course, if I have a problem, there is no making an 'Appointment, it's taken care of night or day, as she knows all the dentists!

I absolutely empathize about that tooth!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter
 
Posts: 1086
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Sweltering 90*s

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:40 pm

If my injured finger will tolerate it, I'll finish putting in the last of the screws in the fence tomorrow, and then get back on the last of my flocking program to be finished this week.
I won't be finished working on decoys by any means, but I'll be mostly done with paint and flock for this year! ( except those G&H butt feeders, if they ever get here )
Got to start work on the decoy trailer, working on a new blind I can roll out along the river bank in selected places this year, got to finish a few places to contact along the Snake river, and even in my own neighborhood for bird hunting in a few weeks. (dove)
Staring to get more excited every day now!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter
 
Posts: 1086
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:34 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron