Sweltering 90*s

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, casey_714, jjohnson_714

Re: Sweltering 90*s

Postby jdinid » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:19 pm

It's the little injuries that really seem to hurt the most!

Siding on the cabin is going well, two new windows go in tomorrow and then I can finish up one side. It wasn't fun busting my butt today while the river whispered at me to come float a fly.

I typically have geese flying up and down the river several times a day. Nothing at all yesterday or today.

As for decoys, as a newb I'm fortunate enough to have hunting partners with a boatload. I expect that will have to change in the next year or so as one of my hunting buddies is heading into his late 70's.
jdinid
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:51 pm

Very pleasant here tonight with cloud cover and light sprinkles coming down.
Weather.com's forecast shows only one more day at 90*, and the rest of the next ten days show some mid to high 80*s throughout.
I can deal with that much better.
Looks like I may have to drag the little jet boat down to the bass run again!
A nice large bass fillet, with home fries full of red and green bell peppers, some diced jalapeno peppers, onions, Lowery's season salt, and coarse ground black pepper,..... scrambled eggs with sharp cheddar cheese, and Pepper Jack melted in, Jan's just finished strawberry freezer jam on an English muffin.......breakfast for dinner!
Life is good!
'Til then I'm just gonna have to settle for a Sirloin Tip roast going on the Traeger tomorrow.

The cork and fork have been my downfall I'm told, but an old man must replace a young man's vices with some such, and if they be vices...at least they are legal.......and just as enjoyable as any!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby jdinid » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:02 pm

Eating well is one of life's most enjoyable pleasures. Pulling veggies and potatoes out of the garden to go with meat gathered or raised adds a satisfaction that can't be matched. It's what we were meant to do. I'm just thrilled to be in a place where I can do that a great deal of the time.
jdinid
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:14 am

jdinid wrote:Eating well is one of life's most enjoyable pleasures. Pulling veggies and potatoes out of the garden to go with meat gathered or raised adds a satisfaction that can't be matched. It's what we were meant to do. I'm just thrilled to be in a place where I can do that a great deal of the time.

How right you are jdinid!

It is the simple pleasures that are life's treasures!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:12 am

You gonna have any potatoes left when I get up there? :lol3:

We had some lightning come in after dark last night. Not a lot, just enough to flash and rumble a few times. Weather service says "abundant lightning" today. Abundant...sounds like a weather service term. :lol3: We did get a little rain with it. Interesting though, in my area we got enough to get the ground wet, while on the other side of town they had a gullywasher. Difference of 1/2 mile. Strange. Oh well, has to start and stop and stop somewhere I guess. Was 102 yesterday with the promise of at least that today. Hottest summer I ever remember. Come on El Nino...if we don't get a wet winter we might as well all close shop and go. Have a town 7 miles from here that very well may run out of water this summer. That'll be interesting. Glad I don't live there. Folks with wells will probably be OK. That town gets all their water from a reservoir that's almost dry. We'll see what happens.
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:38 am

Late last night some pretty good little rains settled in for a while, and just a bit ago they returned.
These dark, cool mornings are a tantalizing tease that put me in mind of the autumn storms I'm looking forward to.
Weeks to go before the first real changes begin, but July is almost behind us now, and full blown harvest time is about to kick off in earnest.
I'm going to be abandoning this thread by the end of the week, and starting one in praise of this!

Baseball playoffs and Series

The fall season/Halloween/cooler weather

NFL football~Oh yeah!

Always enjoy the first of these.

Always good food

Highpoint of the Year/Best of holidays.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby waveslider » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:55 am

Fsbirdhouse wrote:Late last night some pretty good little rains settled in for a while, and just a bit ago they returned.
These dark, cool mornings are a tantalizing tease that put me in mind of the autumn storms I'm looking forward to.
Weeks to go before the first real changes begin, but July is almost behind us now, and full blown harvest time is about to kick off in earnest.
I'm going to be abandoning this thread by the end of the week, and starting one in praise of this!

You're gonna praise sky busting? :wink:
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:46 am

Really? :no:
Hard to tell where they are aiming, but I'm thinking the low group at about 20 yards tops, highest group 30 yards off the ground.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:45 pm

32 days and we have a job to finish. snow kept us out of all but one of our areas till the 19th of may, only giving us a few weeks to hunt in the spring on our two best sites. Last year we filled three of four tags in the spring and filled the 4th in the fall on the first hunt, this year we passed on two decent bears waiting on a couple of really nice bears. We are keeping our fingers crossed that the fires miss us this year, two years ago we couldn't hunt our area due to a fire closure. We have other options, but I have a date with a couple of bears from the spring I hope. It's going to be tough with 6 tags to fill this fall.

woodduck31
hunter

Postby waveslider » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:54 pm

I like the photobomb
waveslider
hunter

Postby waveslider » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:04 pm

Fsbirdhouse wrote:Really? :no:
Hard to tell where they are aiming, but I'm thinking the low group at about 20 yards tops, highest group 30 yards off the ground.

Just kidding. I'm not happy unless I can reach out and grab them with my free hand. :D
waveslider
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:22 pm

waveslider wrote:

Just kidding. I'm not happy unless I can reach out and grab them with my free hand. :D

And you shouldn't be!
It's what we live to see. :thumbsup:

I dream (I really do) of the sound of 50 or a 100 birds sweeping down within ten or fifteen feet above me from behind the blind.
A sharp bank, and half the flock splashing down fifteen yards in front of me while the other half flutter down above them!
"TAKE EM"
Nothing beats it.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby waveslider » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:25 pm

waveslider wrote:

That is unless hewhoshallnotbenamed is in the blind with. In that case, you better buck up the minute they reach the killing zone or you're looking at the sky.

And you better not miss or his 6 year old will start doling out shooting advice.....
waveslider
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:00 pm

In these last days of July, I'm trying to take stock of all there is left to do before the first bird hunts.
Grant it, there isn't a whole lot to do for the dove hunt in September, but the day the dove hunt starts, it's crunch time for the waterfowl hunts that follow They are serious business!
I absolutely have to wrap up my decoy flocking program no later than mid week next.
Hoping G&H is prompt in sending the Navigator Butt Feeder decoys.

I now know I'll have fields to hunt that I expect ducks to be using heavily, and that gives me the impetus to go ahead with the development of certain motion decoys I've been holding back on. But, I have set aside the monies i need to develop those, and the next two months should see the prototypes ready to hunt, at lest in limited quantities for the coming season!

Need to work hard with the dog!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:22 am

Got our asses handed to us in dispatch yesterday. Non-stop from noon to midnight with lightning. Won't be any better today.
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby jdinid » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:06 am

I have six weeks to finish up the siding on the cabin, which includes finishing up the trim, replacing a door, caulking all the seams(board and bat siding), power wash, prime, paint.

In about three weeks, processing tomatoes and peppers will kick into gear(I'm already hip deep in pickles).

Somewhere in there I have to spend time floating flies and hitting the Sporting Clays so that I can hit the broad side of a barn by the time hunting opens up.

And let's not forget leisure time under the willow tree. :D
jdinid
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:56 am

waveslider wrote:
waveslider wrote:

That is unless hewhoshallnotbenamed is in the blind with. In that case, you better buck up the minute they reach the killing zone or you're looking at the sky.

And you better not miss or his 6 year old will start doling out shooting advice.....

Waveslider,
I'd listen to that shooting advice. Keep him out in the field with you over the years, and that advise will transition into real know-how!

"Gee Dad! What the heck is wrong with you? That bird was hanging right there in front of you. What were you thinking?"
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby blackrock » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:33 pm

ImageImage
A couple more summer pics!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
blackrock
hunter

Postby jdinid » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:43 pm

Nice pics! That first one is frame worthy. Not that the second one isn't.
jdinid
hunter

Postby blackrock » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:59 pm

Thanks jd, it was a memorable hike!
blackrock
hunter

Previous

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting