is anyone else not doing well for the beginning?

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, casey_714, jjohnson_714

is anyone else not doing well for the beginning?

Postby jjohnson_714 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:02 pm

well saturday was another not so great day, but everyone else at the flats was doing pretty bad too... our cousins across from us shot 2, and some other guys hunting with their layout blinds, and a pretty big full body goose spread didnt fire one shot... i jumped a drake wigeon, and that was about the excitement for the day... dang bugger took 6 direct shots of #2 steel and was still going strong until i snuck up about 10 feet from him and ended it all with a brain shot... ive never seen a bird take so much and still keep on swimmin away... luckly the water was shallow enough i could keep wading after him... on our way out we came really close to a pretty big flock of coots, and noticed that they werent scared of the boat being 10 yards away from them... so we stopped the boat and brandon fired 3 shots, then casey took 3 shots and they ended up with 13... i didnt really want a part in it cause i didnt get skunked... i think they regretted it after they started cleaning them though... nasty little birds... but who knows, we may find a way to cook them so they dont taste too horrid...

jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby InTheDecoys » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:05 am

We did pretty good on the opener. Birds decoyed very well early... 4 teal 4 shovies, 4 mallards... Lol Johnson those coots are very tame.. on the way to the blind we get within 3 yards of them and the dog goes crazy... In fact we actually hit them with the boat a couple times which was pretty hilarious. How is ur new boat workin 4 ya?
[img][img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b14/GsiM20/swopenerOct1415010.jpg[/img][/img]
InTheDecoys.... Take em
InTheDecoys
hunter

Postby Idahofowlweather » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:31 am

no problems for me got my limit before 9 am...

IfW
Idahofowlweather
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:08 am

Me and a bud went to an easy spot yesterday and came away with only one bird...a greenhead. I hunted the opener down on OR so this was my first N Idaho hunt. We went to what we knew would be a marginal place, but it was a late night for both of us the prior evening, so we took the easy route. Plus, it was raining too hard for much of the morning for the birds to want to fly.

My buddy was able to christen his new boat with a bit of blood and we were off the water by 10 a.m. I had to go home to fix the water heater. Six people in the house including my visiting folks and no hot water.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:24 am

wow nice bag idaho :getdown: so do you have any suggestions on the best way to cook those little beasts? we were just planning on slicing them up and frying them with some worshetersire sauce, soy sauce, a little teryaki, and a bunch of garlic salt. on the bright side, they just stepped on their wings and yanked like a grouse to breast them out. im still wondering what that nasty green stuff is though that kept on leaking out of them.
well its nice hearing that we werent the only ones not doing so great. well except for all the coots. for a while we were just thinking it was us. next week though we can finally start hunting on some private property that has a hay field right by the river, so we are hoping for the best :thumbsup:
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby casey_714 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:39 pm

:toofunny: Very nice IFW! :toofunny:

We could have all gotten limits of them, but we needed to see how they actually tasted first, before we did.

I thought I was never going to shoot a coot again.
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby Idahofowlweather » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:44 am

I just had to get it out of my system this year... they do taste good... you can pan fry them up like you were talking about but I would toss them in some egg and flour... and make a dipping sauce...

for some reason I thought you guys wanted to see coot pics here is the pile pic of the ducks....

Idahofowlweather
hunter

Postby justakiller » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:02 pm

Hey Jake..........that x-lander and Super x-2 look familiar :yes: BTW......coot does taste good. I finally tried some after Jake convinced me of it. Listen to the man......he is a chef by trade.
justakiller
hunter

Great 1st day for me..

Postby BadSplash » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:17 pm

:salude: Limited today at the Lake. Walked in at 0930 and out at 1400. Mallards and Teal. Great time would have been done sooner but had to wait for Green Heads. Nice watching the teal in the Decoys until they came. All that and 5 min. from my house.
BadSplash
Newb

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting