Unit 40 Deer and Elk

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, casey_714, jjohnson_714

Unit 40 Deer and Elk

Postby thebigh20 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:10 am

Hey all! I know this is a duck hunting forum but I'm sure most hunt more than just waterfowl. I drew a unit 40 rifle bull tag Oct. 15- Nov.24. And both my dad and uncle drew late season unit 40 buck tags... Lucky dogs! I have archery hunted for elk the last 6 years and just wanted to see if anyone had advice on the best time of the elk season ( Oct.15-Nov. 24) to take a week off of work to hunt? That's a long season and I can only commit so much time. I had two trains of thought about this... Early Oct.15 the bulls may still be talking, but it will probably be fairly warm. Later in season they move more during the day. If you were to take a full 7 days to hunt elk in this unit when would take it? Thoughts? Advice? GPS coordinates to a monster bulk :wink: ? Thanks!
thebigh20
hunter

Re: Unit 40 Deer and Elk

Postby Duck-slayer » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:42 am

Lucky for sure, I have heard from a couple different people that the state record is down there, elk, I would go the 1st week, after that you will be dealing with the big buck hunters, good luck,
Matt
Duck-slayer
hunter

Postby thebigh20 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:39 pm

Matt,

Thanks for the reply! I think I will take a full 7 days at the beginning of the season and if I don't get it done take a day or two for long weekends. I have spent a little bit of time in the unit, but hope to do some scouting in September during the rut to locate some big bulls. I hear they are down there, just takes some work to find them!
thebigh20
hunter

Postby Duck-slayer » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:20 am

My wife's cousin shot a 360 6x7 bull on the opener last year, I would have a 330 minimum if I were you,
Matt
Duck-slayer
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting