Size Shot

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

Size Shot

Postby E » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:41 pm

What size of shot and brand of shells does everyone shoot at ducks over decs.. I am currently shooting 3 or 3 1/2 2's Winchesters because we get ducks and geese and have been caught many times changing back and forth from duck to goose loads, so I don't shoot different shells anymore. Although with a modified factory choke it doesnt look to good on paper...Thinking of changing to smaller shot for the fact we get more ducks and see what the pattern looks like. Also interested in advise on steel shot chokes.
:thumbsup:
E
hunter

Postby casey_714 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:05 pm

I always use 3 1/2" #2's. I prefer Kent, but lately I've been shooting Winchester Xperts. I use a modified choke for everything as well. Some people say that it's overkill, but I've never had many torn up ducks.
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby Idahofowlweather » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:20 am

I shoot 2 3/4's 3's with a .675 terror choke... for geese when I'm hunting them I will shoot a 3 in BB... but I have killed a hand full of geese with 2 3/4 3's when they decoy...

Jake
Idahofowlweather
hunter

Postby cootkilla » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:59 am

My favorite load for both ducks and geese. 3 inch 2's or 3's with a .675 terror and have never had problems bringing down any bird. I also was shooting 3 1/2 inch and shooting factory chokes. When I switched to the terror choke I noticed that my cripple's % went way way down and so did my shell size and shot. :getdown: First trip with the terror I went to Oregon on a goose hunt. The only shells I could find were 3 inch 2's. I did not have one problem bringing down the birds I shot at. It put the smack on those geese. But what ever you shoot. Make sure its what you WANT to shoot and not because someone else told you that is the only way. Which ever way you go. ENJOY!!

Cootkilla
cootkilla
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:39 am

I have Terror .675 and .700 chokes. Currently shooting Hevi-Steel 3" 6 shot on ducks and have had good luck with birds 35 yards out and less. It really folds them dead. I bought a couple of boxes to try and I think I am going to buy some more. I have in the past shot mostly 2 shot 3.5" Fasteel on ducks and I still shoot 3.5" BB Fasteel on geese. Or will, after the 90 rds of Federal Tungsten Iron BB's I have run out. I got a great closeout deal on those.

I don't have much problem switching ammo as long as everything I shoot is close to the same speed. Everything is in the 1500 to 1550 FPS range except the Federals, which are 1450. I think guys get screwed up when they alternate fast loads with slower 1300 fps and below....messes up their lead and timing.

I used to pattern shells to make sure they would throw an acceptable pattern but I have found that I can trust the terror chokes to do a good job with anythng.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:11 am

i shoot either xperts or fasteel 3" or 3 1/2" #2's. the way i see it, i really dont have time to change between a duck and a goose load, so i've found 2 shot to be just right for everything. kills geese, and kills ducks without being overkill.
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

shot size

Postby Joshua Warwick » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:41 pm

I use Kent 3 inch size fours. I find that the higher density of smaller pellets gives a greater chance of head and neck shots, and less crippled birds, especially on ducks. They also work much better for the teal that I seem to shoot alot around here. Could just seem that way though.
Joshua Warwick
Newb

Postby HaydenHunter » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:07 pm

Joshua,

I agree with you. Four birds of my six bird opener bag were teal...dead when they hit the water. And I was shooting 6 shot. I have a buddy who much prefers to shoot teal over anything else that likes 4 shot.

I smacked a big greenhead yesterday at 25 yards with that 6 shot that was dead when he hit the water.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Terror Choke

Postby E » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:34 pm

So the Terror Choke by Wad Wizard?
E
hunter

Re: Terror Choke

Postby justakiller » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:51 pm

E wrote:So the Terror Choke by Wad Wizard?
The Terror Choke IS NOT made by wad wizard. They are made by SRM (SureCycle) in Meridian. I shoot 3" #2's or 3's through a .675 Terror Choke for both ducks and geese. The 3's will fold a goose with the .675......IF YOU CAN SHOOT IT!!! I havent shot real well so far this season.....but I will come around :mrgreen:
justakiller
hunter

shot size

Postby nickdahick » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:20 pm

i guess i started hunting ducks with the help and guidence of my grandfather. he comes from the good old days, when the ducks were easy and the shot was lead. he said that they always used lead 6s, 4s, and 2s. upscaling shot with the current idea that you should use steel in 2-3 sizes bigger then lead, that would put you at 2s and bbs. i used those for years, but found that they didnt pattern good enough. pellet size to me is not as important as patern density and consistancy. after a trip to center target sports and about 4 hours, i found that 3s and 4s paterned the best for me. luckily, bbbs did better than fair though the same choke. just to prove my point, i took 3 newbies out to st maries this weekend and all three got their limits by 10am shooting $6 a box 2 3/4 #4s and none of them has shot very much at all
leaves little to guess, and a lot to be desired.....you should hear me butcher a call
nickdahick
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting