Dove Hunting

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

Dove Hunting

Postby kgrant » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:18 pm

Howdy everyone! I am just curoius if anyone is going to chase doves this september. I just got married and relocated to I.F. and wondered how it is up here. Hope y'all are doing well thanks for your time . :thumbsup:
kgrant
hunter

Re: Dove Hunting

Postby waterfowler2484 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:40 am

But of course! It marks the start of the bird season and its good practice!
"For every action, theres REACTION!!!"
waterfowler2484
hunter

Postby broncodan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:07 pm

oh yea its always a good time! dont know alot about the east side of the state but the doves sure are flying out west.
cant beet the taste of bacon wrapped doves with water chesnuts and some bbq!
broncodan
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:19 pm

Dove season. Major milestone on the year's calendar!
Always marks the beginning of all good things that come in the fall.

This year, the Eastern Idaho State Fair and the opening day of dove season come one day apart. I always do both.
The dove hunt brings the hunting group back together to kick off the serious business of the fall hunts. Chance to get the dog "Birdy" again. Chance to smell the acrid odor of burnt powder and gun grease.

That weekend, the wife will redecorate the house with Autumn decor. There will be pheasants, and ducks, and garlands of fall leaves on the hutch and fireplace mantle, Pumpkins aplenty, and an old antique goose decoy on the hearth. She may put a DU redhead decoy for a centerpiece on the dining room table, and surround it with yet more fall foliage or an artificial Cattail arrangement she likes to do.
She'll light a Yankee candle of Harvest Home, or Pumpkin Spice, and one or the other will be burning until Thanksgiving.

And the food! The odors of the candles will mix with the aromas of old fashioned chicken and dumplings, hot spicey beer sausages, smoked trout, or Traegered hams. Hot apple crisps from our own trees, and Dutch oven peach cobblers. Great racks of BBQed ribs and every good thing!

Yes I'm going dove hunting. Wouldn't miss it for the world!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting