i need a friend

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, casey_714, jjohnson_714

i need a friend

Postby 3am » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:15 am

Hey all, well this post is to find all the guys who go out on their own, you know who you are. The guys who make three trips back and forth to the truck to get all your stuff every morning, exhausted by shooting time only to have to do it again after your done. I for one am one of those hunters, I do alright for myself, even on slow days I usually walk away with one bird, although I've been skunked plenty of times, it would have been much more tolerable having someone to talk to other than the dog, as well as share the work load to set up and break down, and gas to get there. I had a buddy who was interested but after one season of waking up in the middle of the night to be out in the field by 5am turns out it wasn't his thing, I'd like to get a rotation of us hunters who go out alone so that we don't have to do that anymore, or at least not as often. From the rookie with his first crappy dozen dekes, to the guys who've been doing it a while I don't care, the only way this sport will continue is by introducing new blood into it, rookies will be rookies, shooting before the call, using 3 1/2" on decoying ducks at 20 yrds, but I've had more laughs from that kinda thing than not and isn't that what its about, having a good time? Plus we've all seen the skybusters who can ruin a hunt if their too close to your spread, we all bitch about them, maybe your a skybuster who's never been shown just how far out you can hit a duck accurately, I know it took me a while to realize just how close they need to be to accually hit them, and it would have been a lot easier if I had someone to teach me this stuff when I started. It was more a need to not waste ammo as the premium stuff is way to expensive to just make noise. So all that being said, get ahold of me cause I will be out there, and so will you so lets combine efforts and get it done. Ps im on the western side of the state, I hunt from Ontario to mt home.
3am
hunter

Re: i need a friend

Postby waterfowler2484 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:56 am

P.M. sent ! :hi:
"For every action, theres REACTION!!!"
waterfowler2484
hunter

Postby jsbohann » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:39 pm

I would be interested in this as well! I've got all of my own gear but virtually no knowledge of where to go. where are you fellas located?
jsbohann
hunter

Postby gillnetter_007 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:04 am

PM sent
gillnetter_007
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:53 am

Hope you are able to get your troop organized. Always more fun to have one or two partners.
Sometimes it almost becomes mandatory when you become long in the tooth, and medical problems start. Us oldsters don't go at it quite as hard as a rule, tho we may still enjoy the chase as much as ever.
Get your friends that share your passion when you are young, and keep those memories to share over time. They are both important, more so as the years pass.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby IdahoSkies » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:03 pm

Pm sent.
IdahoSkies
hunter

Postby jsbohann » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:58 pm

yea, i never got a pm :sad:
jsbohann
hunter

Postby Riley » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:33 pm

jsbohann wrote:yea, i never got a pm :sad:

Boohoo! :)
Brandon
Lucy the poodle
Riley
hunter

Postby IdahoSkies » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:02 pm

Boise. Sorry. I thought we were going to put together some kind of list, like, "hey I'm headed out on Wednesday, wanna go?" "yea sure, meet you at XYZ."

I'm in Boise.
IdahoSkies
hunter

Postby jsbohann » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:36 am

Just giving you guys a hard time! i'm also in the Boise area.
jsbohann
hunter

Postby swishher » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:43 pm

I need a friend as well to hunt with. just moved here from northern california. hit me up or send me a message not sure what the hell a pm is, but it looks like thats what i need to write so pm me
swishher
Newb

Postby doane25 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:51 am

I'll pay it back for all the great people that were there to hunt with me when I first got into it. PM me if you are interested. We hunt from Boise to Twin Falls.
doane25
hunter

Postby matt58 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:49 am

Im in Boise and would love to be on this list!
"Charlie don't surf!!!"
matt58
hunter

Postby waterfowler2484 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:45 am

Whao Wait! what list?
waterfowler2484
hunter

Postby waterfowler2484 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:49 am

make a new post with the list and people you hunt with and want to hunt with
waterfowler2484
hunter

Postby Flyingmike » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:36 am

Hey y'all, I live in Boise. I'm new to duck hunting.... I've only gone once with a buddy about 6 years ago. I grew up in North Dakota and Minnesota and I spent quite a few very cold mornings in the blind with my dad. He quit duck hunting about the time I was old enough to start. I'm a pretty decent shot with a shotgun (I do hunt upland....pheasant/grouse/chukar). My main hunting interest is big game archery hunting, followed by big game rifle hunting, but I need more to keep me occupied in the fall.

If anyone is heading out and wouldn't mind taking a newbie along let me know. I've got the gun, the clothes, and the waders. I'd be willing to pay for gas and beer.

-Mike

P.S. I generally work Monday-Thursday or Tuesday-Friday. I am available for weekend hunts or the occasional weekday hunt.
Flyingmike
Newb

Postby Flyingmike » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:58 am

Hooked up with some guys and went out on Sunday. I'd say it was a good day for my first real time out on a duck hunt!

P.S. Don't ask about the face paint... I've been bow hunting since I was 5. I have never used the stuff. I forgot a face mask when I left the house. One of the guys handed me some HS Hunter face paint and said, put this on. Apparently you don't need a half dollar size puddle to apply to your face. A dime sized drop would have been more than enough. Lesson learned.
Attachments
1003808_10151968976460609_585713978_n.jpg
Flyingmike
Newb

Postby jsbohann » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:51 pm

Nice! I traveled from Boise to the eastern side of the state and hunted hard all weekend and only came away with 2. Kind of an odd weekend out there....
jsbohann
hunter

Postby duckdogID » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:01 am

Looking to get my dogs on alot of birds this year. We do our fair share amount but if anyone has some spots they need a dog to get birds or are ok with a dog coming along and making it easier on you. I have 2 well trained boys. I have all the gear and plenty of Decoys. Im happy to just run the dog not to worried about shooting....But of course i can shoot too :biggrin:
"The meat dont fry if the lead dont fly" "God only gives us so many sunrises. I don't see any need to miss one of 'em."
:sniper:
duckdogID
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting