Wont fetch?

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

Wont fetch?

Postby Jesse Minish » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:40 am

I posted this in the hunting dog forum but thought I would try some fellow Idahoans also.
I have an almost 8 month old black lab male that will not retrieve at all any more. He was great for a while but since about 6 months old kind of quit... He is smart and does all other comands great. I can hold a steak in front of his nose and he wont touch it untill I give him the "OK". He will run to it and find it but will not pick it up. I am VERY fustrated. I have tried making it fun, using sents, treats, make him hold but wont, ect. :fingerhead:
I dont know anyone that bird hunts and am just getting into it myself so I spent good money on him. He comes from a great pedigree. Any advice?
Jesse Minish
hunter

Re: Wont fetch?

Postby dams10ww » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:13 pm

two words: Force Fetch
dams10ww
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:07 pm

For clariffication, is he not holding to hand or does he not go out and get objects?
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby Jesse Minish » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:49 pm

At first he would start to drop it on the way back after a few times of doing everything perfect. Now he just runs out sniffs it, leaves it and comes back to me.
Jesse Minish
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:33 pm

Just throw it a few feet and really encourage him to pick it up. Make it a game. If he wont play the way you want him to. Then dont play at all. When he does it correct, reward him. I use treats. If he still doesnt want to you could try bringing in another do and see if he gets competitive. If it works go back to short retrieves and work up slow.

Force fetch would be a good idea also, but you will be looking at a couple months at a trainer for that. As a relativly new trainer I wouldnt recommend trying it yourself. If you go that route you might as well have him do basic also
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby Jesse Minish » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:26 pm

Thanks guys! I think I will read and maybe buy a DVD on FF so I can try and completely understand it. If I dont feel confident in my abilities I won't do it. I am doing a gun dog workshop with a good trainer in Oct. I will have him work with us on it. I just was hoping to have him retrieving before that...
Jesse Minish
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:11 am

force fetch it hard on the dog and personally harder on the trainer (worse if its your dog). Kudo's if you complete it.
phutch30
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:17 pm

Will he go get real birds? Have you tried getting a pigeon and seeing if he'll get that? I have a 5 year old lab who absolutely NOT fetch anything without feathers. Throw a toy or ball outside, and she looks at you like she's saying, "I ain't gettin' that thing." Shoot a duck and she's balls to the wall. Strangest thing I've ever seen. :huh:
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby duckdogID » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:06 pm

I agree i would pick up a couple ducks and get the dog birdy or if you know someone with a hunting dog. Go out and train with them. Jealously works wonders with dog, If he sees another dog doing it may bring out his drive.

Id still look into FF
"The meat dont fry if the lead dont fly" "God only gives us so many sunrises. I don't see any need to miss one of 'em."
:sniper:
duckdogID
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:14 pm

did he quit suddenly ???
anything happen out of ordinary that day????
dental issues????
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby duckdogID » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:21 pm

Elvis Kiwi wrote:did he quit suddenly ???
anything happen out of ordinary that day????
dental issues????

:thumbsup:
"The meat dont fry if the lead dont fly" "God only gives us so many sunrises. I don't see any need to miss one of 'em."
:sniper:
duckdogID
hunter

Postby Jesse Minish » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:23 am

Never thought about trying real birds. I will have to give that a try. I do not know anyone that has a hunting dog or bird hunts for that matter. Going at it alone.
I dont think its dental issues now. May have been at first but all his adult teeth are in and he is chewing things just fine. It wasn't sudden kind of just tapered off.
Thanks guys!
Jesse Minish
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:59 pm

If he wont retrieve training dummies I doubt he will do real birds, but try it.
phutch30
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:56 am

starlings and sparrows on the back lawn with an air rifle can be alot of fun and get dog keen to play the game. sometimes you can even get the cat to play too.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby Jesse Minish » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:45 pm

Thought I would give a short update since you guys gave me some good suggestions. I read some more on FF and just applied a few ideas and things I wanted. Only took a few days and now he loves to fetch, he is none stop.
Thanks guys
Jesse Minish
hunter

Postby Fraser72 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:02 pm

Make it as fun as possible for your dog. I mean over-exaggerate it! I probably looked half stupid when I was training my dog because of how excited I would get! Make it a big deal for your pup and make him enjoy it! Start from just a few feet away and build up from there. There are two keys to training a good bird dog in my opinion, consistency and positive reinforcement. If he runs off with the dummy and drops it, go pick it up and try again. Don't say bad dog or swat him if he does something bad because he will form a connection with retrieving and the negative feedback he is getting. As soon as he does something a little bit right, even if it's not perfect, make him feel like he just accomplished something incredible and get excited!
Have fun and good luck! :thumbsup:
Fraser72
Newb

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:41 am

great to hear you are back on track
thanks for updating us all :thumbsup:
give dog a pat from me :thumbsup:
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby Jesse Minish » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:02 pm