AAAAHHHHHH!!!!!

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, casey_714, jjohnson_714

AAAAHHHHHH!!!!!

Postby jjohnson_714 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:40 am

so my goose calling skills have gotten better. this afternoon i called in a flock of 17. they were within 20 yards and i shot at the one closest to me and pelted him with all 3 shots. and he flew away. now i know why i should always shoot 3 1/2"ers and not just go with the 3"s. then they circled around and went in the middle of the river and sat there calling in all the other ducks and geese in the area. i swear one of these days im just going to get a better hobby. either that or go buy a 10 gauge and keep it with me for when geese pass bye.

its just so frusterating shooting something and it not falling out of the sky. especially when it was that close.
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby HaydenHunter » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:57 pm

What size shot were you using? I have killed geese with 3" bbs and 3.5" 1s.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby InTheDecoys » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:32 pm

We use 3 in 2 shot at 1550 fps with a mod choke for everything and we have had good luck with it. I have shot ducks at 60 yards stone dead before. Last year we had a flock of geese fly over one of my partners at about 20 yards and he knocked down 2 of them shoulda had 3 but his gun malfunctioned. He was shootin 3 in 2s 1425 fps out of an improved cylinder and it pounded em. Just gotta aim for the head and there dead....
InTheDecoys.... Take em
InTheDecoys
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:58 pm

i was using 3" #2 either remington or x-perts. i havent had problems with 3 1/2"ers which i normally use, but i was scraping the bottom of the shell bag. what i was thinking though is to see if i can get another gun and have it with bb's and my normal one loaded for ducks. that was i would be able to use the loads i would like to without worrying about the whole switching shells thing. but for now i'll keep using what i got.
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby justakiller » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:42 pm

I have never had a problem killing a goose at 20 yards with an IC shooting Kent 3" #2's @1560. Matter of fact; a buddy of mine does it with 2-3/4" #2's..........the guides in Canada laughed at him at the beginning of the first hunt but stopped laughing after the second barrage :getdown: I am not getting down on you. Just saying you have a problem that isnt necessarily as simple as going to the 3.5" shell. My first guess would be that maybe they were further than you were thinking. My second guess.......get rid of the experts and remingtons and shoot the 1560 fps 3" kents. My third "suggestion".....become a head shooter on geese. Forget about the body and view their head as the bird you are shooting at. If you think about it........a goose head is about the same size as as dove or quail. BLOCK THE BODY OUT OF YOUR MIND!! And maybe the most important if you are going to be a goose or diver hunter.............purchase a .675 Terror Choke......ya wont regret it!!!
justakiller
hunter

Postby InTheDecoys » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:53 pm

seriously theres no reason to use 3.5" inch shells if your shootin 40 yards or less.. shoot 3 inch with at least 1550 fps thru no looser than a mod and you'll be fine... or u can shoot what every u want thru a terror choke... on the opener there was another group out and a week later we went to that spot and found 50 or so empty 3.5 inch shells... if ur gonna shoot and miss that many, buy some cheap shells and save some money for a terror choke, better dekes, better camo, ect
InTheDecoys.... Take em
InTheDecoys
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:27 pm

we go out shooting clays a lot so i know im not that bad of a shot, but with ducks and geese i like to make sure they are extra dead. a few more pellets in the air cant do any harm in my opinion. even though the furthest dekes we put out are right around 25 yards (paced out) so shots are all within like 35 with the angle? one thing is for certain we dont skybust. if anything we should be taking more shots than we do.

maybe i should just stick to kent, but i have a hard time paying that extra $4 a box.
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby Beak Buster » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:03 am

how much are you paying for Kent?
If they fly they die
Beak Buster
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:43 am

at sportsmans its 15 or 16 a box and i cant find another store that sells #2. blacksheep only sells theirs in bb that i have found.
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby Beak Buster » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:00 pm

you must shoot 3 1/2 I shoot 3 so there is a 5 dollar diff. I was going to say black sheep has the best price on them they are a dollar less then sportsmans.
If they fly they die
Beak Buster
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:17 pm

I try to patronize Black Sheep, the local guys, whenever possible. I do feel, however, that they are lackadaisical toward stocking waterfowl loads and gear. They seem to have a mountain of cases of the last loads they got a good deal on.

I predict that in a year when we have Cabelas, Sportsmans and Black Sheep in Kootenai County that we will have more selection and price competitiveness for the waterfowler.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:34 pm

we buy our guns at blacksheep because they have always have what we want in stock. that and they arent a bunch of jerks like sportsmans gun counter. however they definately are lacking in the shotshell dept. they dont have 3 1/2" 2 shot which is what i like. in fact the only 2 shot they had when i went there last was remington 3" which i bought, but it didnt seem to shoot well. i think im just going to have to break down and order a case from mac's. im sure i'll shoot around 10 boxes by the end of season anyways.
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby broadwater » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:25 pm

doubled on geese this weekend at 30 yards with 2 3/4" 6's...lead em
broadwater
hunter

Postby Beak Buster » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:40 am

I agree sheep doesn't stock crap that is even good half the time but I've been going there a long time. Sportsmans the people that work there act like they have a clue what they are talking about but in the long run all that is coming out of there mouth is a bunch of crap. Don't get me wrong there might be a couple guys there that know what they are doing but the rest have no clue.
If they fly they die
Beak Buster
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:22 am

I know at least one guy at Sportsmans who does know a lot about waterfowl and has killed a good number of birds this year.

I have a recurring fantasy every year that Black Sheep will start caring about the waterfowler. Maybe all it will take is for someone that knows what they are doing to pitch the idea to management and head up the department. Any volunteers?

FYI, jjohnson, I was at Sportsmans yesterday and they had the Kent 3.5" 2s in the regular 1550fps and they also had some of the new 1-1/4 oz. 1650 or 1675fps 3.5s.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby Beak Buster » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:27 am

Ya I know of one guy that works there that knows alot about waterfowl also and working with dogs he is pretty good. I agree I think black sheep should start caring about there departments. Go in there and look for good waterfowl waders wait don't waist your time there isn't any I checked. I think the biggest problem is that most of the people that work there haven't ever hunted a day in there life.
If they fly they die
Beak Buster
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:35 am

HaydenHunter wrote:I have a recurring fantasy every year that Black Sheep will start caring about the waterfowler. Maybe all it will take is for someone that knows what they are doing to pitch the idea to management and head up the department. Any volunteers?

i was thinking the same thing, but they werent hiring the last time i checked. well i gotta get off to get my edjeekayshun have a good weekend :thumbsup:
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting