Has this happened to you?

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

Has this happened to you?

Postby Beak Buster » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:59 pm

Last week I shot at a drake and hit him with one shot and he didn't go down and put my next two shots into the hen that was with him and she didn't go down tell about 300 yards away in some super tall grass. I got lucky and my dog found her but what are these ducks made of it has to be something stronger then steel. Oh ya the next day my dog found the drake male he was alive but he wasn't doing good.
If they fly they die
Beak Buster
hunter

Postby justakiller » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:34 pm

They are pretty tough birds. I shot one that looked like i had shot a pillow and he flew off :pissed: I was having some problems killing or even hitting earlier this year. Thought it was the gun......but switched from the cheap Winchesters back to Kents and ............19 shots in 2 days and 14 birds to show for it. They can cram those Winchesters up their..........well that probably isnt your problem. Sorry for rambling.
justakiller
hunter

Postby Beak Buster » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:39 am

I think my problem is partly I'm not a very good shot. I usaully only by kent I'm going to try some Rem that I just bought. Ya the bird that died like that we hit pretty good. How long have you lived in rathdrum?
If they fly they die
Beak Buster
hunter

Postby justakiller » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:08 am

On the hen......did she fall straight down when she fell? If you get one that is heart shot they will fly forever like nothing is wrong and then fall straight down. It sounds like you may be shooting them a little far back. I have problems with this at times also. When I have this problem; I will make a point out of concentrating on the head of the bird (not the body) and "over-exaggerate" the follow through. If you can do that.......you will become a "head shooter"........not real good for the taxidermist but great for the frying pan :salude:
justakiller
hunter

Postby justakiller » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:09 am

BTW........I dont live in Rathdrum........I live in SW Idaho.
justakiller
hunter

Postby Beak Buster » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:30 am

Yes she did fall straight down it was weird I just thought great I shot another duck that gets to fly away and then while I was watching them she takes a nose dive into some tall weeds. I will try looking at there heads more and leading them more thanks.
If they fly they die
Beak Buster
hunter

Postby casey_714 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:25 pm

Last year I was hunting by myself when 2 drake mallards came in. They started to go above me. first shot, dropped one. second shot, dropped the other. However, after it litterally folded and did a "dead flip" in the air, his wings came out, caught air, and he flew all the way down river until i couldn't even see him anymore. That sucked :thumbsdown:
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby jjohnson_714 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:44 pm

last weekend i had a pair of bufflehead come in and popped them both with one shot and they were dead in the water (so i thought.) then drake started flying off so i popped him. then the hen started swimming so i shot her again. reloaded and the drake started flying away once more so i shot him twice more. then the hen started swimming so i shot her. then i look and the drake flew away. then the hen came to and dove down in like 20 feet of water and never surfaced. so i lost two ducks with like 8 shots and i didnt even miss once (which was pretty good for me shooting).
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby Beak Buster » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:46 am

JJohnson not to be mean but that made me laugh that is funny. I had that same thing happen last year. I shot two buffs and the first one hit the water so hard it had to of died on impact and then the second hit the same way I was pump my first double. To my suprise the first one was swimming away so i shot another round at it the load creamed it I reloaded and it started swimming again I pumped all 3 into it that time and see ya later it decided to fly away. So I was oh well at least I got the other one. Looked over to see it heading to the middle of the lake way to fare out it kills me how tuff these things are. I think I'm going to by a 10 gauge and take that to just for the tuff birds like those.
If they fly they die
Beak Buster
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:17 am

jjohnson, I am LMAO. You burned through about $3 to $5 worth of shells for nada. I have been there and done that too, just not for a buffy. :yes:
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:36 pm

yeah i know. i usually dont like getting buffleheads because they are hard to clean and you only get like two bites of meat from them, but the day started off bad and i thought that it was a sure thing. after i shot them the first time i didnt want to just let them go. however it might have been a good thing that they escaped because im sure there wasnt much edible meat left after i was done with them :oops:

i swear though for such a little duck they sure can take a beating.
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby hntndux » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:57 am

Have you tried a range finder? maybe your shooting to early
hntndux
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:07 pm

they were close... REAL close... within 20 yards, and every hit was direct :getdown:
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby donell67 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:25 pm

ive rocked birds hard or dropped them in the water. and get up and fly away. i dont think i ever had that problem with lead. 2 3/4 4s even.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Beak Buster » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:47 am

Ya the steel just blows if you don't hit them perfect there is a chance that they will get away and die some where else. I shot a goose this year and almost took his wing all the way off put the hurt on him pretty good his buddy that was right behind him got the other 2 rounds and he must of had a bullet proof vest on cause he took the shots like a champ and kept flying. Now I know he had to die cause he was only 15 yards flying way slow even my dog couldn't believe he was still flying.
If they fly they die
Beak Buster
hunter

Postby Idahofowlweather » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:20 am

sounds like you need to invest in a good choke... I don't have many problems with cripples anymore after I bought a good aftermarket choke and I even shoot 2 3/4 3's experts... rocked 6 G.E. this weekend and never had a cripple...

Jake
Idahofowlweather
hunter

Postby Beak Buster » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:18 pm

so what kind of choke do you like?
If they fly they die
Beak Buster
hunter

Postby Idahofowlweather » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:31 pm

I have been shooting .675 terror choke from SRM and a Brieley LM...

Jake
Idahofowlweather
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:47 am

It just depends on where the indivual shot particles hit--whether you break a wing--and how much adrenaline/toughness the bird has. Years ago (several times) we shot ducks, using lead, that flew two hundred yards or more and then dropped dead in a hayfield... followed a blood trail in the snow (from the flyig bird) to where he was stuck in his landng hole, stone dead with a shot-hole right through the heart. Mysteries of life... also, it helps to take close shots and pass on the long ones ... that way you'll have another chance another day, or even later that day.
dudejcb
hunter

Postby rbk » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:00 pm

I have had troubles with different brands of shot, or so I thought. When I switch from high velocity such as Kent loads to slower I tend to shoot behind the birds. When I realized this I have started to shoot all of my practice, upland and waterfowl loads at the same velocity. Once I started doing this I have had much success. I hate when I shoot them in the ass and they fly forever. It doesn't matter how good my dog is if they don't fall and jsut die off on their own somewhere.
rbk
Newb

Postby dudejcb » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:02 am

True story. It's almost impossible to shoot ahead of ducks unless they're really close, cause your shot strings out more and more as it flies farther and further. Test this buy shoting far out (50 to 60 yard) over the water to get an idea of how long the time difference is between when the first shots hits the water and the last shot hits the water. That time difference multplied by the muzzle velocity minus some slow-dowm can work out to about (1400 fps x .1 second x 50% original velocity =) 70 feet! (can you tell I'm an engineer?) This is even more true with lead (something to remember with pheasants, huns and chukar) but is still true with steel.

I try to always buy the high velocity, lowest cost, 3-inch shells because steel just doesn't have the same mass and energy retention potential as lead, so that when you are trying to bring down an ass-shot bird the higher velocity give more impact on the third shot and you have better luck finshing them off... sometimes. I also like to shoot larger shot sizes... 2's to BBB and use the same stuff for ducks and geese becasue it's lager weight gives more bone breaking potential.

My shooting is a bit like my basketaball accuracy was in high school--streaky. But the closer the first shot the more clean kills I have, and I don't get that crummy feeling inside (that all ethical hunters should get) knowing that wounded birds will usually die a slow agonizing death.
dudejcb
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting