Duck Hunting Forum banner

What do you do?

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  quackpipe 
#1 ·
Ok I was just wondering what every one did. I'm a designer for a engineering group. I've been in engineering for the last 8 years. I live for hunting and fishing. I start hunting august 30th on archery and don't stop tell cat seaon and duck is done and then I start fishing for big rainbows and salmon.

#2 ·
i spent 4 years in the airforce working on helicopters and now i'm going to college and working part time as a produce guy. pretty much all i do besides school and work is hunt and fish. a little skiing/snowboarding tossed in there, but i tend to opt for duckhunting instead usually.

#4 ·
what do i go to school for? well thats a good question that i really dont know the answer to. i was thinking first about getting my teaching degree, but after tutoring college math i found that people are stupid and i dont think i could do that. then i was thinking about maybe going for business management, but the classes bore me. so i have one semester left here at nic and im just going to take a bunch of science type classes and finish out my A.S. in general studies. that way if i decide to go for my bachelors i'll have that all good to go.

now that cabelas is coming to town though i might just say screw college and go sell hunting stuff. even if i dont get paid a lot i think that would make me happy to do that :thumbsup:

#5 ·
Take your BM classes even though they are boring if you get those you could manage Cabela's trust me I have a friend that got his BM degree and he makes 100 grand a year now. I was thinking about going back and getting mine just to have it so i could make more money but I would rather have my engineering degree.

#6 ·
Dude, get a degree, get a degree, get a degree :hammering:

Try to work at Cabelas part-time while finishing your ba with a bm degree or something, but if you can swing it, get a degree for sure! The amount of time and money you spend now will most likely be paid off in the long run 10x.

I got my ba in secondary education, thought I wanted to teach chem and biology. I student taught and didn't like it. Then I followed my wife from home in Montana to Wisconsin so she could get an advanced degree in microbiology. I ended up working for a year in a breast cancer research lab and then went back to get a masters in soil and water management. NOw I've got a great job working for the federal government.

Don't neglect you experience working in the airforce :thumbsup: Maybe try to find something that ties into your past experience. I know it is hard, but look hard and reseach it and you'll probably be rewarded. Lots of high paying jobs aren't hard to get...they are hard to find. Lots of specialties out there that most people have never heard of before and if you can find them then you are set!

I'm really not trying to tell you what to do, or tell you I know better than you because I don't. But doing the things I mentioned really, really helped me a lot. You have your whole life to potentially work for cabelas, while you are young and able get your education and try to find the best possible job and career. Your wife and kids down the road will benifit greatly from your hard work now! Oh, and as you know, the way things are going you'll need all the $$ you can get to hunt when you get older (that is what I'm afraid of).

#8 ·
I work for the NRCS implementing conservation programs to farmers and ranchers. I'll be moving around every couple years for the next 4-6 years so I should end up spending a little time in lots of areas. I love my job, couldn't have a better one. I get to work on protecting and improving habitat and I get to work with farmers and ranchers (the best folks in the world to work with :salude: ) :thumbsup:

#9 ·
I am an executive trainer and consultant. The skinny of it. I go in and tell companies how to better manage their emplyees by better management, training and use of time. pretty flexible schedule and allways allows plenty of time for duck hunting.

#14 ·
I say drop out of school and go get yourself in good with the Spokompton Crips. Then in the off season you can boost mini-vans and train loads of Nike's to sell on the black market up in Bayview or Athol to pay for your quack addiction. You are going to have to watch out for the Bayview Bloods while you are fencing your haul. They are a nasty bunch of maniacs who are rumored to have sank 100's of bodies in the deepest part of the lake. Then in duck season you can hunt - All day, every day.

Feets up - Nose Down
Word

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.