Duck Hunting Forum banner

where are the ducks at?

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Rockybottom 
#1 ·
i figured that we should start a discussion to figure out where the ducks and geese are still huntable. its going to be a double edge sword for a while. the weather will push them down, but a lot is going to frozen solid anyways. no one likes to give up their secret spots, but if we can all get on the right track, hopefully it will save everyone some time and gas scouting so we can get on some birds.

#2 ·
i figured that i would start the discussion by saying what i know. i know that the main river is open. ice will develop out to about 50yrds from shore, but its usually easy breaking. morton slough is just about froze over at last check. blanchard lake is froze across so i am guessing that ice is forming around most of the northern lakes. i also know that the refuge is froze. if anyone needs any ideas where to go pm me. i will be hunting fri sat and sun, and might have some room to spare if someone needs to get out. i would love to hear if anyone knows how chac and benawa are right now(ice and water levels) thanks

#3 ·
First, I will say that I heard today that some birds are definitely coming down from Canada.

Second, I would ask you to reconsider posting up such explicit details of spots and conditions at those spots. It may seem like we are a cozy handful of guys that are posting on this site but I can guarantee you that for everyone posting here there are 10 guys that log on as guests simply to mine the information that you have earned through time and effort scouting.

I have helped a few guys from this board via PMs. I have never met most of these folks face to face but feel a sense of community because we have posted together for a while. I just don't want to give away hard-earned info to someone to lazy to even spend five minutes logging on and joining the community.

#4 ·
Well Said!

I was once nieve enough to think that everyone on the message boards was as respectful as the most of the handful of guys that regularly post. Sadly, I was proven wrong, time and time again. Now I will not, ever, under any circumstance post explicit details or anything that could remotely give up my location. You will get burned, trust all of us who have been burned before.

Like was said before, only a handful of us post, the rest mooch. I would trust most of the "regulars" with privilaged info, because I know they would provide the same to me, but I don't give out info on the open forum.

Anyway, there are new birds pretty much everywhere (I would suspect). It is now just a matter of if your spots remain open long enough to hunt um :salude:

#5 ·
Very nice posts HH and wingnutty. I tend to flame a bit more but ya said what needed to be said diplomatically :salude: I will say this........SOME of the guys I have hunted with off the forums are welcome to hunt with me anytime................ new guys to the forums.......well may as well not exert the energy it is going to take to ask me or PM me. :pissed: Pretty sad that it has come to that.....but that's the way it has to be. Bring on the ice......I LOVE IT!!!!!! :salude:

#7 ·
I am new to the forum and much enjoy the dialog. I split my waterfowl hunting between Western Washington and Blaine County in Idaho. Although I would love to hear from other Blaine County hunters, I appreciate (based on my own experience) the problem with "sharing too much". If there are any Blaine County hunters (or other folks based out of the Ketchum area), I would like hear how you are doing so far this season.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.