Autumn has come!

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

Autumn has come!

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:38 am

We've had weeks of periodic rain showers in E Idaho now, and even when it hasn't been actually raining, it's been cloudy.
This combination, plus the shorter hours of actual daylight, should result in an absolutely spectacular fall leaf change.
Deeper colors of golds, reds, and everything in between. The only thing missing just yet is.......well, the frosting on the cake so-to-speak! Frost! A couple of those should set things off nicely.
The prediction for the next ten days is lowering temps.
I don't see an opening day duck hunt like we had two years ago. Bright blue skies, and hot temps.
Looks like we're in for a good one.
Cool weather, and all things as they should be.
Harrah Autumn!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Re: Autumn has come!

Postby Mean Gene » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:13 pm

Hope it's a GREAT season in Idaho...especially since I'm headed that way starting Nov. 9th. :lol3: :thumbsup:
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:08 pm

Been painting the cheek patches on some Honker shell heads today. Black flocking arrived for same yesterday, and that will probably occupy most of next week that isn't spent scouting.
Had to bring painted heads back into the garage from where they were drying in the sun, because of the threat of yet more rain, but I'm loving the rain.
Bought 24 used full body duck decoys the other day, but have garage so loaded with the goose decoys, I haven't been able to pull them out of the bag to really check out as yet, nor to refurbish my duck floaters.
Three weeks to go, and that old "Plenty of time left" is running out fast!

Seeing some highs in high 60*s, and some lows in the high 30*s forecast now for the next ten days.
Rains from the south forecast to dry up, but that should allow the lower temps to set in.
Alrighty then!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:18 pm

I bought 6 more fully foamed Tanglefree Migration Mallards with flocked heads and tails yesterday. First purchase of the year aside from the 2 cases of HeviMetal shotshells I bought from Rogers.

Can't wait for the season to start.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby kgrant » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:41 pm

This rain is awesome and the weather is changing for the better cant wait for the season to start Fall is by far my favorite season .=) Can we see some before and after pics on those honkers Fs?
kgrant
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:06 pm

I'll see if I can post some tomorrow.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:01 am

Before, with cheek patches painted.

Same type (Brand) head after flocking.

Both together for comparison.
Not too bad for first time ever doing it!

I'll make a long handle to grip heads with for the next batch. Bill is not enough area to hold onto for me.
Last edited by Fsbirdhouse on Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby kgrant » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:26 am

:thumbsup: those dekes look great . good job just like the trees your dekes are changing too hehe. =)
kgrant
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:38 pm

Tomorrow is forecast 81*
Wed is forecast to be 62*. 19* temp drop in one day.

Think I'll be working on rest of the decoys tomorrow. Then to finish the blind this week.
After that will be fishing, and scouting (mixed with a little potato gleaning).
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:48 am

More before and after shots on the flocking job.
This time Carry Lites shells.

They do look better............to me.
I guess we'll see what the geese think.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby kgrant » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:17 pm

Those look great! :thumbsup: Wasn't the weather crazy last night Thunderstorms for 5 hours or so or should I say Lightening. storms rain hit heavy for only 20 minuets . Should be interesting to see if we frost tonight.
kgrant
hunter

Postby dams10ww » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:38 pm

Hey FSbirdhouse wanna do mine now? LOL :wink:
dams10ww
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:13 pm

I did :lol:
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:45 pm

I think the weatherman is teasing us.
Says there is a freeze warning for the area tomorrow morning, and then posts a 35* temp for tomorrow's low.
Frost on the pumpkin?

Regardless, I think we are going to be seeing dust on the mountain peaks very soon now......and dare we hope for the valley?
Hoping for the first really big, cold Autumn storm Oct 5th.
Will be listening for that first early flock of Whitefronts coming thru on a nightly migration over the next couple of weeks.
Seem to hear them the last week of Sept about every third year.

Boat is going in the water one way or another this coming week. Got to catch those big rainbows, and browns with the cooldown that's coming.

Are we happy yet?
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:45 pm

The more I look at them, the more I'm considering flocking the tails on the Carry Lites, as they are looking a little rough.

Also thinking about flocking the Greenheads, as I've never been in love with the fluorescent paint schemes I see on many. Like the dark solid green better.

What do you think?
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby dams10ww » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:49 pm

I vote yes on the green heads Gary from Emmett has a kit that doesn't look to shabby or break the bank either.
dams10ww
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:16 pm

Well, I was thinking I'd probably get them paid off first, and then alter them.
On the other hand, the fellow I'm buying from is a pretty reasonable sort, and if he has to show up at the front door to repossess them, they'll be a much better match for the new ones I've seen him order.
So on the strength of that, the yeas have it.
Ordering flock tomorrow.

I'd better hurry . Time is almost up!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby kgrant » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:58 am

dams10ww wrote:I vote yes on the green heads Gary from Emmett has a kit that doesn't look to shabby or break the bank either.

I agree they would look awesome. How long does it take you to flock each decoy?
kgrant
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:02 am

black is the most important color on decoys. From an airplane, black is the first thing you see at a distance, even with a white bodies canvasback drake you will see the black long before you see the white. I'd go ahead and flock the tails on those canadas and the heads on the mallards at least. Since I started hunting over flocked decoys 5 or 6 years ago i haven't looked back, the black is just blacker than painted black and shows up much farther away and the ducks and geese love it. Here are some of the new tanglefree canadas i flocked and painted for a friend in oregon last week, sorry about the color balances from the indoor photos.

here are some dakota mallard heads after 3 seasons. We've flocked them black before painting the green, but honestly you could flock them black and leave it that way and be just as effective.

I prefer to have my decoys completely flocked, not just heads and tails.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:22 pm

Well, the Carry Lites look a lot better with flocked heads and a bit better with flocked tails. The tails take about a minute to do, and very little flock, so why not?

These Big Foot knock-offs (Don't know the brand name) are several levels of magnitude better looking with flocked heads and tails.

Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:45 pm

I'm afraid I'm gonna have to wait just past opening day to flock the Greenheads, as WoodDuck31 has shamed me. His mallards are great, and now I have to get an airbrush, and learn how to use it effectively.
I don't expect to master the thing in so short a time, but I want something reasonably close to his mallards as pictured. Close as I can anyway!

Duck hunting is a superior addiction to any drug ever invented.
The Devil has tried a thousand times. But God invented the Duck.

Take somebody duck hunting.
Remember! "Not even once", or he'll end up like you.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby kgrant » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:17 pm

Your flocking looks great FS. I agree whole heartedly and its better to have a fowl brain then to be brain dead :grooving:
Wood ducks decoys are amazing he has had lots of practice up there in boise :biggrin: I am saving up for some touch ups for next year. When are you getting the flocking I would be interested in watching how you do it.
kgrant
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:39 am

Frost on the Pumpkin this morning!
Can't speak for what's happened in other locations, but we had a thick coat here at the house!
Beautiful morning!

Finishing up the last of the decoy work this morning, then on to finish the blind, hopefully by mid week next.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:39 am

I'll be passing thru Blackfoot in a couple days just to enjoy your New Fall colors ! I mite take some time to look around ,
as some pipe-fitters have a way of tying-up all the good spots . :yes: I've got to visit my Brother in Thayne and it's only
2 hrs away , I think ?

Bino's and Spotting Scope will have to do for Now !

3200 man
3200 man
hunter

Postby dams10ww » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:11 am

Today's youth hunt was rather tough, the field we choose had a ton of birds on it earlier in the week but this weather really messed with the birds. We had a few small flocks pass over head, but there really wasn't anything moving at all. We only heard about 5 shots come off the river this morning as well but we managed to scrape a couple nice big honkers. A wise man once said, Take a kid hunting on the weekends and you won't have to hunt for him on the weekdays.
Attachments
Resized.jpg
dams10ww
hunter

Next

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting