New to Boise

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, casey_714, jjohnson_714

New to Boise

Postby cyclocoastie » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:19 pm

I'm going to be relocating to the Boise area in the next month or so. I'm probably not going to be able to get out for the remainder of this season but I was wondering if you guys might be able to help me out.

I was wondering if there was anyone that might be interested in a hunting partner for next season. I would be more than willing to meet and do introductions. Like most, I want to be comfortable with the person I'm hunting with.

Also, can ya'll give me an idea of what kind of conditions to expect? And what kind of gear is required, recomended etc. for the area?

Any tips on where I can start scouting for some hunting spots?

Cheers,
Cyclocoastie
cyclocoastie
hunter

Postby bm2klitch » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:32 pm

Were you in the Coast Guard?
bm2klitch
hunter

Postby cyclocoastie » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:38 pm

Actually I am in the Coast Guard and I'm 26 days from RELAD.
cyclocoastie
hunter

Postby bm2klitch » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:11 pm

I just got out in July! What a relief it was to be done with that crap. Anyway there is plenty of hunting to be had here. Let me know when u get back and I will be happy to take u out. Where u stationed now?
bm2klitch
hunter

Postby cyclocoastie » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:10 pm

Right on! I'm super stoked to get out, I'm going crazy with all the crap. I'm out at the end of this month, I'll be up there early January. I'm currently stationed at Group Humboldt Bay in Northern California.
cyclocoastie
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:00 am

Humboldt Bay / Eureka / Arcata is a pretty place. I miss the ocean.

I will bet you'e gotten into a few ducks out there. My bud's kid went to Humboldt State and used to hunt the Bay.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby cyclocoastie » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:25 am

The hunting here is epic on a good year. The weather hasn't really cooporated with us yet so it's been pretty slow. We finally got a big storm so there should be a lot of ducks flying now. I prefer to Brant hunt myself (something different anyway). I hunt the south bay area alot. :salude:

What do you guys have up there? How is the goose hunting?
cyclocoastie
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:18 pm

cyclo,

I am from the Panhandle 400 miles to the North of Boise. Down around Boise, there is a combination of river hunting on the Snake and a couple of other rivers as well as fields and farm ponds for those lucky enough to have access. It is getting more crowded every year from what I hear, with the population in the Boise Metro Area and even places like Twin Falls growing quickly.

There are healthy populations of ducks and geese down there.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby justakiller » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:22 pm

Good duck hunting......if you are willing to work and are prepared to spend quite a bit of money to equip yourself. Goose hunting is good if you have an "in" on private ground or can afford to pay lease fees.
justakiller
hunter

Postby olivehunter » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:10 am

Hunting in the Boise area can be pretty nice. You need to get yourself a boat and some decoys and you will be set. You can run up the Snake river and find plenty of decent spots to set up.
olivehunter
hunter

Postby cyclocoastie » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:29 pm

Thanks guys for your very helpfull hints. I've been here a few days now and have been able to talk some folks and do some scouthing, there are a TON of guys (and gals) that hunt here. Where are some decent places to wade hunt in the Nampa, Meridian, Boise area? I'm at the beginning of my professional career so a boat is not a priority at the moment.
cyclocoastie
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:08 pm

Wade hunting can be done but it's kinda sketchy on the rivers. You might try the Fort Boise WMA (wildlife management area) near Parma, where the Boise river enters the Snake. If it's cold the WMA ponds will freeze over, but you may be able to hunt the river. Be careful and use a wading stick to check the depth and probe for dropoffs. the rocks in the river can be very slippery, so it's agood idea to have a cinched up wager belt in case you stumble, so you don't take on too much water. Also, there is the South East end of Lake Lowell south of Nampa, but don't shoot any geese there. they're protected on the refuge.
Third: try Montour WMA east of Emmett on the Payette river.
fourth: there are places alopng the Snake river where you can wade and it's usually obvious because it's either a riffle or shallow backwater, but again, this is a dangerous river with a strong current (all these western rivers have strong currents) and I would not try wading unless I had fully scouted and attempted it in the daylight using a wading stick and a very good PFD first.

as a new career guy, you can problably enjoy the wonders of deep credit, and pick up a used boat. If you get to that point I suggest you consider a Mud Buddy type motor, and always have a push pole with you. Jet foot motors are nice but when they clog with weeds, you're suddenly drifting downstream toward sweepers and other dangers, so a push pole will do two things... Let you know how deep the water is (in case you want to jump out and walk the boat to shore), or allow you to clumsily maneuver your boat into a safe spot to do motor maintanance.

Never go after a duck by wading unless you are absolutely sure of the bottom. lots of sudden drop offs.

go get 'em but don't become a statistic!
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting