preist river reserve

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

preist river reserve

Postby give'em 3 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:29 pm

does it get hunted alot? hows the access? is it worth the drive from rathdrum
give'em 3
Newb

Postby HaydenHunter » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:39 pm

I have never heard of the Priest River Reserve.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:03 am

:withstupid:

i only knew about the reserve up by bonners
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

have you ever hunted it?

Postby give'em 3 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:35 pm

mabey thats the reserve i was thinking about. Do you know if it's any good?
give'em 3
Newb

Postby jjohnson_714 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:05 pm

i know my dad hunted it in the 70's and he said that you didnt need decoys or anything back then. however that WAS 30 years ago, so i'm sure things have changed.
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby HaydenHunter » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:13 pm

If you are talking about the Kootenai National Wildlife Refuge in Bonners it can be good, bad or in between. It can get crowded with hunters when the birds are in. You must get there very early to get a good spot. It is walk-in hunting, so if you do not have a boat it is one good option for getting a hunt in. A dog helps, as the tules are thick around the ponds.

You will need to check with the Refuge office regarding hunt days, which are limited to less than 7 days a week.

It freezes up early in the season and then the birds are gone. Occasionally it will unfreeze as new arrivals are coming from Canada, but this is the exception rather than the rule.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:53 am

HaydenHunter wrote:If you are talking about the Kootenai National Wildlife Refuge in Bonners it can be good, bad or in between. It can get crowded with hunters when the birds are in. You must get there very early to get a good spot. It is walk-in hunting, so if you do not have a boat it is one good option for getting a hunt in. A dog helps, as the tules are thick around the ponds.

You will need to check with the Refuge office regarding hunt days, which are limited to less than 7 days a week. They can also give you an up-to-date bird count and their impressions on whether a trip up to hunt is worth it at any given time.

It freezes up early in the season and then the birds are gone. Occasionally it will unfreeze as new arrivals are coming from Canada, but this is the exception rather than the rule.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting