The big day!

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

The big day!

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:39 pm

Well, it's almost here, and I'm not as prepared as I thought I'd be. But...................

Putting the finishing touches on my blind.
Charging the batteries on my motion decoys.
Threw the goose winged bumper for the dog again today. Explained what we're doing in two days. Left him in tears 'cause it wasn't today.
Located the loose shotshells scattered in different clothing, boxes, blind bags, and such. Boxes more than I thought I had.
Got boots, socks, hats, jackets, flask, and calls gathered and waiting.
Confirmed rally time with the "Lads".

Field we're hunting isn't holding the birds it was a month ago, but things are in such flux that I think we'll draw a few for some shots as it is close to a river. Waiting for local cornfields to be cut......then it starts!
Weather today was very stormy and cold. Wife called to say it snowed all day where she works about 45 min away from home, but I saw nothing but rain, and quite a bit of that at the house.
I doubt at this point we'll see any of the smaller local ducks from here on out, these cold storms seem to put them on the move, but they might surprise me?
Yup! It's almost here. And every good thing that goes with it!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Re: The big day!

Postby duckcomanderJR. » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:55 pm

I'm getting the fever as well every night for the last week ive gone to bed dreamin of cupped up wings. been out scout a few areas lately hopefully they hold up. got some really nice fields this year that I think are going to be really good specially once they cut the corn like you said
if they fly they die!!
duckcomanderJR.
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:51 pm

Well, when the hunt is over tomorrow, and we're just in the truck and ready to head home, I'll pull out the flask full of "Fireball", and let each take a well deserved pull on it.
Once back at the house, the wife will serve generous portions of finger foods.
There will be hot spicey Beer Brats, our special Nachos heaping with lean spicey burger, extra sharp chedder/pepperjack cheese, fortified with thin sliced jalapeno pepper bits, and onions. Great bowls of sour cream, and salsa, with a side of steaming hot dipping chili.
She will probably make a pitcher full of 'Duck Farts' to be passed around, or Gin and Tonics to taste. And it matters not what the flavor, all are referred to as "Aiming Fluid", and that is magical stuff!
By and by, the aiming fluid gradually leads to each miss during the hunt being dissected, and generally forgiven, and soon forgotten, while each kill is embellished into "Hall of Fame" status. What fun!
This is an 'Opening day' tradition, and it doesn't matter what opening day it is. Dove, Duck, or Pheasant. All are celebrated in such fashion.

Is it any wonder that we count the days until....and damn the Summer?
Last edited by Fsbirdhouse on Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby DaveWomach » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:25 pm

Getting excited too! It's always an amazing feeling (like christmas) as you get your gear together, find old items, and get ready to harvest the sky. Have a great time!
Anxiously awaiting duck hunting season!
DaveWomach
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting