question about secluded pond

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, casey_714, jjohnson_714

question about secluded pond

Postby drakz » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:30 am

I have a secluded pond i hunt..ducks use it but not a ton...maybe 20 or 30 at tops...its off the typical fly zones...this year there is a ton of grass and cat tails...its only 2 feet deep at the deepest part....its surounded bye brush and only maybe only a hundred feet in each direcion....i can control somewhat how much water goes in bye a levy...i was going to just make it deeper bye about a foot and maybr clear out some holes where there will be no grass poking out the water...

I need some advice on how to attract more ducks and i dont want to break the law??
is that my beer?
drakz
hunter

Re: question about secluded pond

Postby wanapasaki » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:12 am

Don't hunt it as soon as opener comes around. Let more birds get led to your spot by the pre-existing birds that you said are using it. Wait until you see more numbers in the area.
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby IdahoSkies » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:32 pm

Unless you have water rights, you can't touch the diversion. Water is not something you want to screw around with, it had a serious effect on the Roswell area. Hunt it once a week at most and early, though not opening season.
IdahoSkies
hunter

Postby drakz » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:39 pm

This is not public land so i do as i want with the water...it either fills up a huge hole that was used for water suction for construction or my pond...the huge hole is lower than the pond so i just levy the hole and it fills up the pond part instead...it doesnt effect the water table at this location...it still flows down stream....im just saying where the water goes on this property...either in the massive holr or the pond.... :hi:
is that my beer?
drakz
hunter

Postby drakz » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:51 pm

Its a rather weird situation...were talking about a foot high 4 foot long dirt pile as a levy...its not something drastic or crazy...it does make me wonder though...its an old gravel pit that my employer owns...it either flows into the huge hole and when the hole fills up it then fills the pond....putting that little pile of dirt actually diverts less water.....its like splitting the pond in 2 rather than diverting water...doea that make any sense?
is that my beer?
drakz
hunter

Postby Slidellduckhunter » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:51 pm

It would be a little easier to understand if you had a diagram but I have a fair idea of what you have. As for the ducks, it's been my experience that some grass and cattails will not be a hindrance and in fact will help - especially with locating a blind or such. It would be good to have some open water. If you are already at 2 feet deep I wouldn't think you need to excavate another foot out of there, I'd leave it at 2 feet unless the water flow is such that it is difficult to maintain 2 feet. Being a gravel pit makes me think that it is primarily ground water that is filling in the main hole (if I am picturing this correctly). The levee (trust me on the spelling, I'm a Louisiana native) is probably diverting as it is placed/sitting on top of or very near the water source, hence the splitting. And being a gravel pit I wonder about the bottom surface - sand, gravel, rock, or mud? Back in Louisiana gravel pits were notorious for having false bottoms (mostly sand), slides from slopes underwater were also common and more than one have drowned as a result. With some more visual information I could help more as I am a water pump application sort of guy.
Do you know why Cajuns don't hunt elephants? Because the decoys won't fit in their pirogues!
Slidellduckhunter
hunter

Postby waveslider » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:24 am

drakz wrote:This is not public land so i do as i want with the water...

Just as a point of clarification, the mere fact that its private land, does not imply that you can "do as you please" with the water. Not my rules, just giving you food for thought to avoid potential complications in the future. Especially if you happen to start moving heavy machinery around...

In your earlier post, you said that the water was roughly 2 feet deep? In my view that's about perfect so why would you want to put more water in it? To gain surface area?

Since its on private, buy an ice eater, a generator and a warm, comfy layout blind for the shore and kill ducks all season.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby Perro Negro » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:44 pm

12-18" deep is about you want and really need for water depth.
Any deeper and the ducks can't reach the food underneath
Perro Negro
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting