Chessador

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, casey_714, jjohnson_714

Chessador

Postby LEOJR73 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:29 pm

My Chessador is about 5 now. After we moved to California she stayed here in Idaho and only hunted maybe twice in three years. I have taken her out on the youth hunt and on opening day and then on Sunday too so far this year. She gets so excited and starts barking as soon as we turn on the dirt road by the river. We got to the river on Sunday and were setting out dekes, when she raised her nose in the air and took off, I was calling her back and she ignored me, she was gone about 3 minutes and when she came back she had a big greenhead in her mouth. We were so shocked. I had shot a greenhead the day before in close proximity to this location, but couldn't find it after about 20 minutes, and we think this was it. She surprised me so much, she had has had no formal training and is rusty from the three years I was gone, and then to do something like that shows that she must have some pretty good genes in her. I really wished I would have had the time and money when she was a pup to really have hunted her and trained her better. I can only make sure that her next few hunting years are good ones. On that note, what is the oldest anyone has hunted with there dog? Where they actually still enjoyed it and wasn't in pain or freezing or exhausted. Im just wondering how many more years I could have hunting with her if she stays healthy?
In duck hunting, there's world champion duck callers and world champion duck killers - I'm a duck killer!
LEOJR73
hunter

Chessador

Postby side-slippin » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:36 pm

Here is my "Chessador" (never heard them called that), on a good hunt this past January; he was just shy of seven and better than ever.
"Augustus...
...by-god Woodrow, it's been quite a party ain't it.
...yes sir."
side-slippin
hunter

Re: Chessador

Postby LEOJR73 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:43 pm

half Chesapeake half Labrador=Chessador LOL. Good looking dog and awesome greenheads, thanks for the reply :lol:
In duck hunting, there's world champion duck callers and world champion duck killers - I'm a duck killer!
LEOJR73
hunter

Postby Odin2010 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:06 pm

Depending on conditioning, overall health, and genetics. I have a client that has a small black lab that he retired at 13 years. He quite hunting her in the rivers at about age 8 and then primarily used her in the fields from then on. It will all depend on when she breaks down.
Odin2010
Newb

Postby matt58 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:45 am

I had a Chessador; just had to put him down this March at 15 years old. He was brown in color and people with a good eye knew he had Chessie in him. He started to turn white in the muzzle around 5. He hunted the Boise and the Snake until 13, then his body started to go, but boy was his head still in the game. Best damn dog I evver owned and I feel sorry for my new pup, cause I keep holding him to the standard of my old pup. I never trained him a day in his life; he knew what to do and the older he got, the better dog he became. It was awesome watching him transform from a puppy to a seasoned veteren; he knew when the duck calls came out, it was all business.

After my current dog (Pudelpointer) passes, I will look for another Chessador!
"Charlie don't surf!!!"
matt58
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:25 am

my chessador is 7 this year, will be 8 in march. He's got a bit of arthritis, but shakes it off quickly. He's really started getting grey on his face. this photo is from two years ago and he is quite a bit more grey now. Like Matt said, he's the best dog I've ever had and just a work horse. He has a great nose and a willingness to bulldoze through the brush for birds, we almost never lose a cripple anymore. I'm with him 24/7 he's always close and ready to go. I missed out on last year due to a shoulder injury and he only got out a couple of times, but he got right back into it this year on opening day. He's a little rusty and sore, but so am I at this age. My son has a new pup lab working with us this year and I hope we don't have to transition to him any time soon. Zip has one habit that probably would drive the field trial guys nuts, he will always retrieve two birds in one trip if they are floating close together, that works out well on the snake river. I guess it helps to have a big head.

I don't know about you other guy's dogs, but mine loves retrieving geese, he acts like he's on top of the world when he gets to haul in a goose.

woodduck31
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting