A day to celebrate

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

A day to celebrate

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:37 pm

My chocolate lab Jake has been retrieving ducks, pheasants, doves, and sharptails for a year now, but would not pick up geese.
Finally threw one back in a creek the other day, and he had no problem bringing it back to me, but still wouldn't pick one up on dry ground.
Well, after a great deal of coaxing today, he finally figured out that he could do it. Just had to find the right spot to pick it up by.
Did so a number of times, and practically pranced back with it. Proud as punch, and so was his boss.
A little more experience and it will be 'Old Hat' for him.

As I field hunt for geese the majority of the time, this was a major milestone.
Finally!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Re: A day to celebrate

Postby 3200 man » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:13 am

Good Job Jim , as we hunt a young dog we don't know what's going on in thier mind ( Fear ,just to big ) whatever but ,
as they understand that a lot of glory comes with doing it for both the Master and Retriever , it makes both tails Wag !

check you E-mail
3200 man
hunter

Postby LEOJR73 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:53 pm

that's is awesome, congrats! can not wait to see what my dog does if she ever gets a chance to retrieve a goose. Every time they succeed at something new its a cause to celebrate :beer:
In duck hunting, there's world champion duck callers and world champion duck killers - I'm a duck killer!
LEOJR73
hunter

Postby mtbaughs » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:35 pm

I am still working on getting my black lab to retrieve a goose. She'll retrieve ducks all day but refuses to pick up a goose. First time I shot one she ran right up to it like she was on point to retrieve, then she hesitated and came back. I've tried a good dummy, a real goose, and I've tried showing her different methods to hold the goose in her mouth. Wing, neck etc. She really seems intimidated by the size difference.
mtbaughs
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:29 am

mtbaughs wrote:I am still working on getting my black lab to retrieve a goose. She'll retrieve ducks all day but refuses to pick up a goose. First time I shot one she ran right up to it like she was on point to retrieve, then she hesitated and came back. I've tried a good dummy, a real goose, and I've tried showing her different methods to hold the goose in her mouth. Wing, neck etc. She really seems intimidated by the size difference.

After initial posting, I took him into a corn field hunt. We downed a goose, but he'd pick it up move a few feet and a wing would get hung up on stubble (Unlike the back yard where there is none), and again there was a problem to solve, but it was in the way he had it, that allowed the wings to drag.
We got home and spent the afternoon doing retrieves on a goose, until he was consistant in grabbing by the body instead of one of the wings.
Ran him around retieving that goose 'til Hell wouldn't have it', and now it remains to be tried in the field on a hunt, but I'm thinking he is definitly over the hump with that problem.

mtbaughs,
I'd try throwing a goose in a pond or creek you can wade, but the dog must swim in. I think a creek or shallow slough with moving water would be best. As the dog sees the bird drift away slowly, make it watch until the anticipation of getting it is intense, then send the dog.
It will probably grab, and retieve it, not having the full weight until the shoreline.
Might be a good place to start.
It was for my dog.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby mtbaughs » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:05 am

Fsbirdhouse -

Thanks for the advice! I'll give it a try and keep working with her.
It's my fault mostly as I spent five years hunting both my dogs. My chocolate lab being the goose getter. This being the first year of his retirement :sad: I need to get my black lab retrieving geese.
mtbaughs
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting