Sandpoint area hunt this weekend?

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, casey_714, jjohnson_714

Sandpoint area hunt this weekend?

Postby FlyFishingFreak » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:33 pm

Anyone in the Sandpoint, or reasonably close, area going out this weekend and looking for a good bird dog? I am among the best as long as I can walk to the birds.

I'm in the area for training and need to get out and hunt for my sanity. I don't have my stuff so Ill have to parasite with you and your stuff. Sunday looks like rain!

Thanks guys.
FlyFishingFreak
hunter

Re: Sandpoint area hunt this weekend?

Postby FlyFishingFreak » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:12 pm

Let me try this again.

Anyone going out anytime this week?

I have a gun, bullets, waders, some gas $. I'm not a new hunter and not looking to poach someone's honey hole as I live 9 hours south. I just want to go out and meet some new guys and have a good time.
FlyFishingFreak
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:42 pm

I think I am going to be good to go for Saturday if you would like to come along. I should be picking up a boat motor, and I got all my stuff organized and ready
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby FlyFishingFreak » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:49 pm

Work is going to keep me busy this weekend jj but thanks for the invite.
FlyFishingFreak
hunter

Postby waveslider » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:46 am

When you coming back? We are hammering the ducks already here....
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby FlyFishingFreak » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:28 am

3 more weeks up here man. Ill be back just in time for the ducks to be thick back home and we can get a few.
FlyFishingFreak
hunter

Postby summesm » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:58 am

How is water level pretty low already. Like to launch Denton slough area by log yard shop launch .
summesm
hunter

Postby FlyFishingFreak » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:06 pm

summesm wrote:How is water level pretty low already. Like to launch Denton slough area by log yard shop launch .

I don't know what you are asking? The water is really low on Pend Oreille, but like 40k ducks out there.
FlyFishingFreak
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:11 pm

summesm wrote:How is water level pretty low already. Like to launch Denton slough area by log yard shop launch .
There are websites that give water levels. Or you could gas up your car and go out to the Delta and take a look, like we did last weekend.

The more all you guys post up about where you hunt and launch, and how many birds are present, etc., on this PUBLIC FORUM the more you will find unwanted competition the next time you go out.

There is such a thing here as private messages.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby FlyFishingFreak » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:10 pm

Its no secret that the lake has thousands and thousands of ducks. Everyone knows this. But it is also a huge lake, like really really really big. Plenty of space for everyone with a boat, and layout, and stuff. Why are people are so protective? Lets get everyone out, go hunting. There are tons of public places to hunt and boat launches. I get where you are coming from though Hayden... I hate it when I get beat to a spot, or suddenly there are five other rigs where there were none because someone was a loudmouth. I've told people about a good spot. But that's how I am, I want everyone to experience the joy of hunting and fishing. I have stepped out of a honey hole while fly fishing, given someone a fly I was using and let them catch fish. And seriously, what is the population of Bonner county like 40k people. There just isn't the competition up here like there is elsewhere. Lets all have an alcoholic beverage at night and coffee in the blind and just enjoy it.
FlyFishingFreak
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:04 am

I'm with Hayden on this one. What you don't realize is that for every one guy posting, there are 10 guys lurking here. Some of us have put the time, effort, and gas to know when and where to hunt. For Hayden to check the delta is an hour and a half drive one way, so when people are too lazy to put the effort in to find a spot, it is sort of frustrating. And a lot of the areas we go really cannot support a very large amount of hunters, and the more hunters the more chance for some jackwagon to set up right on you because they are too lazy and selfish to follow common courtesy. For years we have seen people post places to hunt on this forum, and I know if someone says hey hunt here, there would be a half dozen extra trucks there this weekend.
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby FlyFishingFreak » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:27 am

Agreed. But, in comparison to the crazy busy places I have hunted (Reno, Las Vegas, Ely, Boise) this place is baron. Very sparsely populated with copious amounts of water. Ever hunted around Las Vegas? 2 hour drive to water and no guarantee you will even get drawn for a blind to hunt from. Mostly the reason I moved to Idaho, lots of hunting opportunity of all kinds.

I totally agree with you guys. I never gave specifics, only a giant lake holding tons of birds. Now everyone lurking go find them on the 150sqmi lake. Happy hunting.
FlyFishingFreak
hunter

Postby summesm » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:22 am

Wow didn't relize asking water level is a crime like that boat launch is a hidden secret. Lol just got back and ya it's 2/12 hr drive one way for me what ever difference that means. Sorry for asking won't post again and ya I've hunted the delta for 30 yrs when it was just a muddy boat ramp . Hope ya all have good season. :beer:
summesm
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:54 am

That is true we dont have the number of hunters some areas have, but the fact is we want to keep it that way. Yes we have a massive lake, but few huntable areas on it. The smaller lakes and rivers are the same. Duck hunters have increased drastically the past few years as it is becoming more mainstream again. I will share info to certain people, but it is always through pms. You really don't know how many people seriously watch the forums looking where to hunt. Ive made that mistake back in my early days on the forum. Post a picture of a limit of ducks at my spot and next week there are a dozen trucks there. And even if you dont mind, im sure the other regulars probably do. And then there is the constant stream of guys with 2 or 3 posts asking where the birds are. It is the same every year...
To the op, sorry for the hijack
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby waveslider » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:32 pm

Look me up when you get back, I'll make sure we light them up again.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby hntndux » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:55 am

Im with you jjohnson..Ive hunted there must have been 11 years ago..and from what I gather on here there is more pressure now.. Protect it or it will turn into Cali...
hntndux
hunter

Postby FlyFishingFreak » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:08 pm

Anyone in CDA going out on Thursday?
FlyFishingFreak
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting