Where to hunt

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

Where to hunt

Postby msheldon8 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:30 pm

Hey guys I live in CA and some friends of mine just moved their dairy to Twin Falls. They don't duck hunt but I figured if I'm making the trip over there I may as well hunt on the way. Can anyone give me some advice on where I can go? Thinking of going in December. Thanks in advance.
msheldon8
hunter

Re: Where to hunt

Postby Quack'emStack'em » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:59 pm

When making a request for advice on where to hunt, one really should refrain from mentioning they are from CA if they expect any serious replies. Mentioning CA does not win friends and positively influence people in this part of the country. If you must mention CA, at least refer to it properly as The Peoples Republik of Kalifornia.

As far as where to hunt...good luck with that. Do a bit of research. The info is out there, just not on a silver platter. It's not like wefare in your state--free to all who ask. :yes:
Quack'emStack'em
hunter

Postby blackrock » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:11 pm

The Snake River runs right through Twin! I see a lot of ducks rafted up on it later in the season when I'm driving to Boise. I've been thinking about hunting it over there, we hunt in southeast Idaho and the far west end of the state. If your friends are dairy farmers they may be able to hook you up and introduce you to a landowner with river frontage or sloughs, if you don't have a boat (jet boat). Start early, and remember most of the land along the river is private. The guy is probably right about the California thing, I wouldn't bring it up, Idahoans aren't too fond of Utahans and Californians! Good luck!
blackrock
hunter

Postby gillnetter_007 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:18 pm

Since the big migration west was during the gold rush, I wonder if Californians think people in Idaho are quitters for not making it to California.
gillnetter_007
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:15 pm

just a word of advice, most of us aren't going to tell some new guy to the forum with 11 posts our hunting spots. Heck it has taken years or knowing my close friends for me to take them out to my spots because lets face it, next time i want to hunt i don't want to find someone there. get maps and scout.
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby msheldon8 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:37 am

Thanks for the responses guys. Can't really understand the hatred for CA but there's nothing I can do about where I'm from. Since that is the case, I will defend it. I'm not some liberal from LA or SF. I was born and raised in central CA with an agricultural background. I sell fertilizer and give farmers recommendations for a living. I'm semi new to duck hunting and I love it along with many others in CA. I'm going to VISIT Idaho not move there and burn your spots. Heck I don't even want your honey holes, I just figured I'd see what advice is out there because I'll only be in Twin for a few days. Continue to be judgmental if you please, but if you come to CA ever I'd be happy to show you around. Again thanks for the responses, hopefully you can see guys from CA in a better light. Cheers.
msheldon8
hunter

Postby Flyingmike » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:51 am

It's not about the hunting spots or giving you assistance....and I'm sure you're a great guy. But all of those that came before you (such as in the last ten years) from California have really left a bad taste in the mouth of native and long time Idahoans. I live in the most "liberal" part of the state of Idaho and the general thought here is that most people don't care for the Californians because of what they have done to Idaho, and not just with outdoors activities.

I've lived here for over ten years (moved from MN.) and I can tell you that (also a new duck hunter, but a long time big game hunter) nobody will give you any locations or tips other than to say...."try the Snake, or go over there (and point in the general direction)."
Flyingmike
Newb

Postby blackrock » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:41 pm

msheldon, I thought I was trying to be really helpful, I wouldn't take some of this stuff too seriously. Half those guys probably moved here from somewhere else too, considering how Idaho has grown in my lifetime. You're welcome to go out with us for a day if you like, I've got a jet boat, layout boat and 3 truckloads of dekes. I still think your friends might be able to get you some access from neighbors or acquaintances. Some of those dairies might have Mallards piling in to a pond .Topo Maps or GoogleEarth is pretty valuable now, for scouting. I use it to find hidden water, back roads and small, hidden water. Around Twin, its not too complex, the Snake River is really the only water! You will want to go downstream, west of Twin, by like a half hour or more. The reason is the Snake is in a really deep canyon there, and the walls are too high, prevents most access.
blackrock
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:06 pm

Also consider that Pheasant season is open as well.
If it must be waterfowl, you will need several trips over here just to get an idea of where to go, unless you take blackrock up on his offer. You're not likely to beat that deal.

"Can't really understand the hatred for CA but there's nothing I can do about where I'm from" You said.

Yes...... there is! You can move, and leave everything you ever learned about behavior behind you.
One thing for sure, defending it is an exercise in futility. Most of those who have preceeded you, have taken care of that for you long ago. They just didn't know any better, but 'thought' they did. But for those willing to learn, the transition into reality can be very smooth.
Just keep your eyes open in regards how the locals treat each other, their values...... in most cases. It may astonish those who come from a 'me first', 'my way is best' society. (You can thank the West Coast environmentalists for that general sentiment)
Even folk from rural California may find they have less in common than they think!

That being said, I do wish you good luck on your hunt, and more than that, a pleasant visit to a great state.
From a former Californian.....42 year escapee!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby msheldon8 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:05 pm

Blackrock thanks for the invitation when I make it over there I hope to be in contact with you. CA is a frustrating place to live but I'm young and have a job so I likely won't be moving any time soon. Luckily my job allows me to visit other great places. I've never been to Idaho but hear great things. Hopefully my buddies manage to make some friends over there. Thanks for all your responses, hopefully you can preserve all that you love about your state, I can admit there's not much left to preserve in mine. Happy hunting guys!
msheldon8
hunter

Postby Waskom » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:51 am

You should go to the California fish and wildlife website and look for where the public hunting area's are, if you do not have land or a private place to hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Waskom
Newb

Postby FlyFishingFreak » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:09 pm

Waskom wrote:You should go to the California fish and wildlife website and look for where the public hunting area's are, if you do not have land or a private place to hunt.

California fish and wildlife is not going to have any information about where to hunt around Twin Falls, Id.
FlyFishingFreak
hunter

Postby Abomb » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:20 pm

FlyFishingFreak wrote:
Waskom wrote:You should go to the California fish and wildlife website and look for where the public hunting area's are, if you do not have land or a private place to hunt.

California fish and wildlife is not going to have any information about where to hunt around Twin Falls, Id.

You missed his point. I thought it was pretty funny.
Abomb
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:17 pm

Quack'emStack'em wrote:When making a request for advice on where to hunt, one really should refrain from mentioning they are from CA if they expect any serious replies. Mentioning CA does not win friends and positively influence people in this part of the country. If you must mention CA, at least refer to it properly as The Peoples Republik of Kalifornia.

As far as where to hunt...good luck with that. Do a bit of research. The info is out there, just not on a silver platter. It's not like wefare in your state--free to all who ask. :yes:
Wow, what a douche.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby Quack'emStack'em » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:24 pm

dudejcb wrote:
Quack'emStack'em wrote:When making a request for advice on where to hunt, one really should refrain from mentioning they are from CA if they expect any serious replies. Mentioning CA does not win friends and positively influence people in this part of the country. If you must mention CA, at least refer to it properly as The Peoples Republik of Kalifornia.

Wow, what a douche.

Why thank you. That is quite the compliment coming from you. Where's your "peace love and understanding?" I've read your posts and find it quite typical of your political persuasion that you immediately resort to name calling. Regardless, I stand by what I said and the fact that I'm right can just continue to eat away at you. :grooving:
Quack'emStack'em
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting